Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1

159K views 267 replies 80 participants last post by  SCBob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

See this post for full details:

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - no new applications - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

---------------

Something interesting that the V.P said about Global switch to digital (go at 3:05 if you're impatient) is that they are going to offer free satellite, receiver and installation to clients in remote area with the base channels for free. This might mean that they are planning on distributing via FTA (hopefully they will not encrypt those base stations) the available local channels.

So for those of you loosing completely the signal, there still hope...

See less See more
#2 ·
To my knowledge this would be a first in Canada, although it has been talked about for quite some time here and within the industry. As the video page states, this statement was made by Ken Stein, Senior V.P. Regulatory Affairs at Shaw Communications, so the seriousness of their intention is obvious.

#3 ·
Shaw LTSS Program?

I found this forum by Googling LTSS but could not actually find anyone who has gotten onto the LTSS program. Here is my experience:
I actually received a receiver from Shaw after going through a number of emails and phone calls. The rep was very polite and professional but did not seem very familiar with the program and initially turned me down as I was "within 75 kms of a station". Well, yes I am but I live in a VHF sinkhole and there are mountains in between. The beauty of analog is that you can usually get some kind of signal. Digital seems to be all or nothing. OK, seems the "75 kms" refers to an operating analog station and this was sorted out.
I received a form which basically said that they would provide me with the 2 local stations I was losing (CBC & CTV) for free provided I had not subscribed to any television service within the last 90 days. That was fine. Couple of weeks later the receiver came in the mail. (A DSR 305, ie sub-basic....) No antenna though. Being somewhat of a tinkerer and junk collector (read "radio ham enthusiast"!) I happened to have an old dish kicking around. Hooked it up and ended up with the home shopping channel so everything was OK that far. Receiver not activated. Called the 1-800 number and explained I was on the LTSS program. This person was aware LTSS and after getting my particulars activated me on CBC and CTV stations 1000 miles away and not even in my province! Seems that my local stations were not in the "package" or "profile" ????? The tech told me that this was supposed to be added later.
Guess I will not be getting local news and will have to rely on Aljazeera from my FTA system.....

#4 ·
A search for FreeHD or BluSky should turn up some existing threads on free satellite service to Canadians. The BluSky launch has been delayed by lack of transponder space. A 2012 launch is currently planned. I expect that other BDUs will counter with similar offerings as soon as they launch. IMHO, it shouldn't be limited to rural areas (as stated in the video) since many urban viewers will also be affected.

#10 ·
A search for FreeHD or BluSky should turn up some existing threads on free satellite service to Canadians. (...)
Effectively, on their website they link to the broadcasting decision of the CRTC. One particulary interesting part of this decision is:

5. As part of its application, FreeHD also proposed to offer a free local program package to consumers who acquire the necessary reception equipment. Consumers who purchased this equipment would receive local television stations at no further cost, and would not be obliged to purchase any other services from FreeHD. (...)
Hopefully for them, that doesn't sound like requiring to be 75 km away from transmitters or any other restrictions; the only requirement is that you must provide your equipment, which is fair enough IMHO. Music to my ears !

#6 ·
It's Shaw Direct and its called LTSS

The Local Television Satellite Solution is (for) households in 20 designated cities that have been receiving their television services over-the-air, and will lose over-the-air access to their local broadcaster because the analog transmitter is being shut down and will not be replaced by a digital transmitter"
According to OTA_Canuck here

This Shaw deal is simply a gimmick to get new subscribers. It's a cheap underhanded door knocking opportunity for Shaw to talk these new 'free view households' into adding pay packages and a contract. In those 20 markets there could be a million households that qualify for the free equipment and free service, but Shaw will have their best sales staff on hand to make sure they scoop up as many as 80% new pay-package subscribers. That's 80,000 new subscribers paying Shaw $50 bucks a month. Do the math. For these well trained Shaw sales staff that are offered commisions and bonuses for virgin subscribers, it's going to be like shooting deer in a compound.

#7 ·
I agree it would be nice if the signals were ITC but I think like you Krydor, they will be encrypted.

If I recall correctly Bell TV proposed something very similar what seems like several years ago now.

#9 ·
Gee, I didn't know that?!

There's a lot of misinformation in that video:
1. Digital TV uses "different spectrum" than analog. (It's reduced, not different.)
2. Consumers must "flip a switch on the back of their set" to get digital.
3. Shaw's LTSS will only be available to rural and remote viewers.

That's in only 4:22 minutes of interview. No wonder the digital transition and the broadcasting industry in general is so screwed up if people like that are running it. :eek: Let's see... 1 piece of misinformation every 2 minutes equals 30 an hour equals 360 in a 12 hour day equals... :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Shaw LTSS

I am quite interested in the Shaw response to IZETHEBY. Shaw informed me today that because I live MORE than 70 km. from the closest major center, I do not qualify for the LTSS program. So it appears this is an urban program, not rural. :confused:

I have sent an electronic message to customer support asking for specifics on the program and who qualifies.

#12 ·
For those that rely on OTA, that would be a great option for them.
Don't quote me on the following, but this is the information I got out of a conversation with a ShawDirect Agent this evening.

To be Eligible for LTSS you can not have subscribed to Cable or Satellite within the last 90 days, you need to be within 75km of the Station. Free Installation of dish and a (1) DSR-209.
I can't speak to other markets, but in Edmonton, Calgary or Lethbridge you are eligible for the Edmonton feeds of CBC, CTV, City, Global and Access. No other channels can be added to the package.
The Agent wasn't sure if Free-Previews were included. I didn't ask about PPV.

I also didn't ask if it would be encrypted or ITC. I suspect it will be the same as it is now. If it were ITC being DCII cause any issues with channel maps, people in the US getting the maps, activations, ect.

I think its a great marketing tool. Free advertising on the side of the house. If a person ever decided to become a pay subscriber the dish is already on the building, they already have a system.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw Response

This is what I got from them today:

Hello,

To be eligible for the no cost satellite service, over the air households must be qualified through the following criteria.

1. The household has not had a telecommunications carrier and received signal in their home within the last 90 days.

2. The household is within a 75 km distance of a transmitter and not being upgraded to digital signal as set out by the CRTC.

We do have an eligibility tool that we simply entered your postal code into and your address came up as ineligible for the program.

If we can help you with anything else at all, just let us know. Please also include all previous e-mails with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct and have a great day!!!!
So, given I have been getting my signal OTA for many years, I guess I fail on point number 2.

#14 ·
2. The household is within a 75 km distance of a transmitter and not being upgraded to digital signal as set out by the CRTC.
That disqualifies people who live in areas where the CBC shuts down the analog signal. It disqualifies people who rely on OTA for only part of the year. It also disqualifies people who cannot receive Global due to their weak VHF-lo ATSC signal (which is owned by Shaw.) Thanks for nothing. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Shaw

Bob, I gave some more thought to their response last night and e-mailed them back. I have issues with their postal code eligibility in large rural areas. Our postal code is determined by which group box we choose to have our mail delivered to. The residences which fall in to my postal code cover a huge rural area and people make that box choice based on their travel patterns. I have a friend who shares my postal code and it take me half an hour to drive to her place. My neighbor right across the road has a postal code from another town entirely. I will be moving this year but will be keeping my same box and postal code for convenience. I have the option though of mail delivery which will bear and address of a town 40 km to the west of where I am now.

So I have asked them to take another look at this. I live about 80 kms southwest of Edmonton and my get the Global, CTV and CBC signals from Edmonton. All of which I assume will go dark next week. Shaw Direct does service this area and if I was so inclined I could pay them for service but that will not be in the cards. Never have done anything but OTA and don't propose to start now.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
More from Shaw

Whether this helps me or not, if legal land description becomes a factor in eligibility, then I will be happy.

We have escalated your concerns regarding the eligibility of the LTSS. What we need from you is your legal land description. We will use this to investigate further.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Should you have any further question or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

#18 ·
So is this LTSS program for those people in areas likw Winnipeg who should be getting a Digital-to-Analog converter, in an area where an analog transmitter is shutting down but not replaced with a digital transmiter, or for those people who live on the outskirts metro areas that are losing a TV singal because to Digtial OTA contour is smaller than the analog contour?

#19 ·
cslusarc, I believe the intent is to provide OTA to people that were receiving analogue, but cannot receive the digital signal due to the hardware investment. They are only giving you the channels that you would have been able to receive OTA prior to the transition.

I told a co-worker about this and he has already received his receiver (a refurbushed Starchoice branded one) and the dish is going to be installed on Saturday. He's located in Barrie, and the channels he will be getting are CBC (both English and French), Global, and A channel.

#21 ·
LTSS

You need to contact Shaw Direct and ask for the LTSS program. There is no cost involved. Depending on where you are you will get a fixed number of free channels. As I recall, for me it would have been six, including Access Alberta.

I did receive a quick note from them telling me they are still working on my situation regarding eligibility based on legal land description.

#22 ·
LTSS in Barrie - 12 channels

So my coworker had his LTSS system installed on the weekend in Barrie (the installer didn't even know about the LTSS program). The receiver is a 305, and they put a Shaw branded dish outside.

He actually is getting 12 stations. He wasn't 100% sure what all of them are, but the list he gave me is: CTV, CTV2, CBC, Global, City, CHCH, Omni1, TVO, a shopping channel, MCTV (not sure about this one), and 2 other channels that he didn't know what they were (channels 290 and 299).

The only PITA part is that the full program guide comes up showing all 299 channels that he has to scroll through to find the few that he receives. Does anyone know if there is a way to edit that program guide to only show certain channels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.