Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR600 Discussions Thread

115K views 173 replies 71 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for people to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 600 when it becomes available on July 4th, 2011.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

#165 ·
@k801809 If you note my original posting (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...dsr600-discussions-thread-11.html#post3076781) I noticed this activity AFTER I installed a "pi-hole" (ad/tracking blocker which uses a local DNS to filter out the undesirable traffic). I questioned why, when the device blocked inquiries to svc1.cdn.shawcable.net it began pinging google.

I appreciate your answer - which does explain the behaviour I observed - but, frankly, I think the frequency it was being done at is absolutely absurd. I can think of no practical reason this would need to be done every 7 seconds! Anyway, mystery solved...

#166 ·
This morning (April 24) at 2AM Eastern my DSR600 started a 1 hour download of the new update. I have the receiver ON all of the time and connected to a little audio FM transmitter that feeds my bedroom radio. I was surprised when I turned on the clock radio at 2AM - dead air, but at 3PM back in business. I was surprised to learn that I did not need to turn OFF the receiver to enable a download. Also surprised it took an hour to do so.

#168 ·
Wish List for DSR600 software update

I would like my DSR600 be able to use the guide to set multiple repeating guide timers like my DVR630.

I have lots of manual timers set on my DSR600 that are tedious to program and of course being manual timers are not sensitive to changes of programs. Also changing to and from DST is a pain with the manual timers.

I do not record from the 600 like I do from my OTA recorder or my DSR630. I use the timers to change channels during late night and early morning going from one news program to another and of course channel 833 which is BBC "World Report" carried on PBS Radio.

Please.

#169 ·
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but based on other posts I don't think the 600/605 will get any new functional updates. And on another bit of bad news, come the end of the MPEG4 and HD conversion process all those American Radio stations will be dropped including 833 PBS Radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.