Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR600 Discussions Thread

115K views 173 replies 71 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for people to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 600 when it becomes available on July 4th, 2011.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

#55 ·
same issue on my new 600, it appears to go 'dead' (no signal to TV) and I have to pull the power cord to re-boot it. Happening more frequently it seems lately. Annoying to say the least (especially because you have to wait for guide/programming info to re-load)

my 505 still works perfectly...just sayin;)

#56 ·
HD Reception problems

My 600 receiver shows Receiver has a lost satelitte signal message when I tune in:
Chan 284 NBC HD
285 - ABC HD
286 - CBS HD,
287- FOX-Rochester HD
292 - CBC HD (Sometimes I get an not authorized message on Ch.292).

I get channel 244 - SRC HD
248 - V- HD
288 - PBS - Detroit HD
293 - CTV -HD

I have called Shaw Direct 4x about my isssue. It has not been resolved yet. I live in an apt.building which we share a multi-switch, it has 8 subcribers connected to a Shaw direct satellite dish. On cloudy or rain days, I get all my HD channels, as soon as it is sunny I don't get my HD channels, and then I get back my HD channels until around 8 or 9 in the evening. The tech says he wants to change the LNBF, but he is very slow in doing so...Two other tenants that I'm aware of...have the Shaw HD receivers don't always get their HD channels and have a similar issue as mine. It seems that my receiver has a hard time connecting to the Anik-2 satellite. Could it be a faulty LNBF and needs to be replaced to a newer LNBF? I have replaced my 600 receiver in March of 2012, and Shaw Direct shipped a replacement receiver.

Shaw Direct says it never has heard of an issue as this...I find that odd to believe! lol
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

#58 ·
Hi enterpriseabc,
It almost sounds like a satelitte or Shaw Direct programming or authorization issue on their network, and not related to a hardware issue on the dish.
Another weird thing when this issue happens, I get CHUM FM radio on Chan.350 APTN instead of a APTN program. I also cannot get Chan.368 Byte.
Hopefully Shaw Direct can get this rectified soon... :rolleyes:

#60 ·
Shaw Direct tech came in the morning to replace the LNBF with a new XKu LNB on the dish, and changed the multi-switch. It took about 20-30 minutes, he also flashed my 600 receiver with the new code using a USB flash drive. He called tech support to activate my programming with the new code. I got all of my HD channels, it was unavailable earlier in the morning. Checked in the afternoon, still have all of my HD channels. Will be ready for the new HD channels with the launch of the new satellite in the fall of 2012 or early 2013 with the new XKu LNB.

Will keep posted if this fixed my issue with the missing HD channels.

#63 ·
You need a hit from Shaw Direct to get the correct time. You can get it on their website In the bottom of the Self Serve area (after you log in) or from the automated phone system. There is an option to refresh your receivers without waiting to speak to anyone.

#66 ·
DSR 600 pvr capable

Hi, I had an installer here yesterday to install a new line for the new PVR and upgrade the LNB. We were talking, and he mentioned that you can use the DSR 600 has a 1 tuner pvr by plugging an external hard drive into it. Anyone able to confirm or deny this? I have not yet tried it.

#70 ·
Does not work. They're talking about launching the ability on a 605, but that's even iffy at this point. As of now, the 630 is the only receiver capable of an external HDD via eSATA.

I've talked to a few inside sources and they say that the 700 series is set to launch this coming winter. The 700 series will introduce a whole-home PVR system with a head unit and slave units. This will ship with eSATA capabilities on the head unit, which I believe is still going to be restricted to 2TB and less.

If anything, they'll keep the eSATA capabilities strictly for the 630, as opening it up on the 600 and 605 will hamper sales for the 700 series.

Just my two cents.

#71 ·
As Shaw Direct is no longer selling the 605 I doubt any work is happening on bringing external DVR capabilities and as I said before in the ShawDirect_News twitter feed they stated they had no intention of allowing recording to an external drive on the 600/605's.

#72 ·
If past history means anything, if there is a 7xx series whole home PVR system in the works....all developement and software upgrades to 6xx series is pretty much done for. They stopped the 5xx upgrades the moment the 6xx were released.

#77 ·
Good to see that the 600 gets rid of the huge "channel will change in one minute" banners when an auto-tune is about to take place. On the 505, they covered two-thirds of the screen, marred plenty of shows I was looking to archive. 600 gives a tiny triangle with exclamation point instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.