Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR600 Discussions Thread

115K views 173 replies 71 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for people to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 600 when it becomes available on July 4th, 2011.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

#2 ·
DSR600 Called ID Problem

Have only owned a DSR600 for two days so I cannot give a full review. But, when I plugged a phone line into the unit, every phone in my house was inoperative (No Dial Tone). I disconnected the phone line to the DSR600 and my phones were operative again. I called my phone company and asked them to test my line when I had the phone line plugged into the DSR600. They said my line was showing a short.

I have also tried two DSR605's and the Caller ID will not work on those receivers either as many users have discovered but at least they do not kill all my phones.
This DSR600 is much worse when it comes to plugging in a phone line. Motorola never seems to get any of their receivers to work properly. I feel it is time for Shaw Direct to try another supplier.

#5 ·
Embarrased

You guys hit it bang on. I just assumed that it was a phone jack. As rlb stated, there is no modem and therefore no phone jack on the DSR600 and I was plugging it into the network jack. I guess the moral of this story is to never assume.
Should have read the specs more closely. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Took out a DSR 317 and put in the 600 yesterday,sure is a tiny little thing. Works well, putting in a better grade HDMI cable. 14 day guide is nice lots of features for an entry level box but,all are internal,nothing on the outside,you need the remote to do anything.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just picked up my HD DSR 600 from "THE BRICK" retail store in Ontario. Check your local dealer for one.

Thought I would sign up here just to tell you all that. It's so much better than the SD one, not just because of the HD Output. It also has the YRW cables on the back - I heard that people said it didn't. It does. It's very small too.

The best part is, it will program shows in and notify you when they come on. I'm not sure if the SD one did that but I could never figure it out.

#8 ·
SD says the 600 is 1080p compatible. Does that mean that right now, if you get the 600 and have a full HD tv that you'll be getting 1080p quality tv OR only once SD switches to mpeg4 in the future?? Secondly, once the new LNB comes out, will SD be obligated to send all it's clients the new dish/LNB ? or will it be up to us to upgrade?

#9 ·
None of the current HD feeds are 1080p, but the 630 is capable of 1080p if/when such feeds become available. 1080p will not be coming with mpeg4. PPV could be made available in 1080p, but the existing channels are not broadcast in 1980p.

As for the new LNB, there is no confirmation on possible upgrades. However it has been stated that any customers that require an LNB replacement as per a service call will begin to receive the new LNB.

#11 ·
Picked up my new DSR600 today from The Brick (got the last one!). I put it by an old CRT in the home office that already had a coax feed so installation was easy. I think it took longer for me to talk to a Shaw Direct CSR to activate the box than it did to unpackage and hook up the cables.

It's a nice little unit. The picture quality is very good on the CRT. The guide and channel changing seem snappier than my DSR530 too.

#16 ·
When programming the universal remote to use with my 600 and my TV you have to hold the power button for 3-5secs (manual says 1.5 but thats not true) in order for both devices to turn on or off. Is there a way for it to work like the 630 where you just push the power button (not hold) and both devices turn on or off? My wife keeps forgetting to hold so my tv is always on.
TY

#19 ·
Constant reset required

Ever since my 600 arrived, I've had to unplug and do refresh every 2 days or so. It will give me a message that my authorization has expired, and that a refresh is required, a simple power off does not work, and have to reset by unplugging for 5 minutes, and plugging back in, then it takes the guide 30 mins to download every time! Anyone else having this problem?

#20 ·
The "your authorization has expired" message is a bug. This message often gets displayed when a loss of signal message should be displayed. You should monitor your signal strength, as it sounds that you are frequently losing signal, thus causing this message to be displayed.
The guide takes 30 to reload? The 630 (mine anyways) takes only a few moments.

#22 ·
disregard, just checked my numbers lol, should have done that before I assumed they were good, my F1 is down to 0! and F2 down to the 70's with 3.5 ECB, I assume this has to do with the hurricane, as it is pretty nasty here on the east coast right now, thunder, lightneing, heavy rain, high winds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.