Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

127K views 401 replies 92 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw recently bought Canwest Global, and now they are simsubbing Global HD overtop of American HD channels, even in areas where they never used to! Shaw Direct does all their simsubs via the postal code of your receiver, and we still live outside the 75 km radius of the nearest Global HD OTA transmitter, so we here shouldn't be subjected to Global HD simsubs. It seems like they are just doing it with Global as well, because other Canadian networks like CTV aren't doing simsubs. Can they just change their ways because they now own Global? Where is our right as a consumer for them to follow the CRTC's policies?

#109 ·
Wednesday Simsubbing in Elliot Lake

Same problem here in Northern Ontario.

We had Global Toronto HD subbed over CBS Detroit HD last night for Survivor and Big Brother.

Just wrote a blistering letter to Jim telling him "enough is enough"!

We joined Shaw Direct (Star Choice) in 2006 primarily because of the no simsubbing plus two US feeds.

Wonder if anyone in the east has tried to see if reconfiguring their channel choices has any effect.

Currently I have "East Feeds Detroit with PBS Buffalo" as my primary choice.

My "Nets Theme" choice is West Feeds Spokane".

Just wondering if changing to "West Feeds Spokane" as my basic/essentials choice and making "East Feeds Detroit with PBS Buffalo" as my "Nets" theme would provide ammunition for complaint.

Paying extra for "Nets" and having a free channel substituted sure sounds like breach of contract for non-performance to me.

Methinks it really is time to consider dumping Shaw.

Much as I dislike Bell they do have a better HD selection!

#114 ·
Here is the email exchange I had:

I noticed you starting simsubbing Canadian Netowrks over American signals.

Being in Sudbury I do not and should not fall into the Toronto region and I shouldn't be getting simsubbed.

Please tell me this temporary and will stop shortly. While I've only been a customer for two months, I really enjoy the service and programming. However, I am so anti simsubbing, if this practice continues I will have no choice but cancel my service and find an alternative service provider.

Thank You.
Their reply:

Hello Derek,

We understand your concerns and frustration regarding the signal substitution however, due to some recent changes your area is subject to having this occur.

Signal substitution is done to bring millions of advertising dollars back into the Canadian broadcasting system. The CRTC has a duty, under the Broadcasting Act, to foster a strong and financially viable domestic industry. When broadcasters buy programs from American and Canadian producers or networks, they pay for exclusive distribution rights in their home markets. The simultaneous substitution regulation, set out in the CRTC Cable Regulations, is designed to protect those rights. These regulations permit Canadian broadcasters who purchase American programming, to use signal substitution as a means to earn advertising dollars.

We do have an option that may assist you and I would be pleased to discuss this with you at your convenience. If you would like to reply to this email with a convenient time and number I may reach you I would be pleased to call you. Please be aware I am available Monday to Friday 9am to 2pm MST.

Thank you,
Jennifer
I missed her call today but she left me a message saying she would call back tomorrow. I'm really curious to see what this option is.
I will keep you all posted.

#116 ·
Disband the CRTC

I think if you don't live within an hour of a local broadcast station, they you should not be subject to sim subbing. Like most people outside of the GTA we don't care about the local Global Toronto news or commercials. The only sim subbing I should see is CTV2 London. This CRTC crap has to end, as a consumer we should be able to choose which commercials we want to see, and in reality most of us get up and go to the bathroom during the commercials, fast forward them or channel surf. If CRTC wants to do something positive for Canadians then fund original programming which most of these channels don't have.

#117 ·
Has anyone complained to the CRTC?

The general CRTC rule is that the BDU is only authorized to simsub within the grade B contour of the local station. There are some exceptions, such as Bell, which was granted an exemption from Day 1 because they didn't have the technology to overlay the feed based on location.

I recall reading a CRTC proceeding against a cable company for not following the rules, so there may be hope.

Has anyone that is affected filed a complaint with the CRTC? I haven't reread the entire thread, but I don't recall seeing a response from the CRTC.

#118 ·
Sub sim

I sent my complaint to "Ask Jim" as well and received two emails back. One was from Jennifer offering to speak with me about the issues but only between the hours of 9 am and 2 pm. As I am at work during that time and hard to reach so I emailed her back and asked if their was someone else who could speak to me about this during the evening hours. I did not get a response back however I did receive a second email from a different person who indicated that he would adjust my receiver account settings in such as way as to address my concerns. This "adjustment" is to happen today so I will be checking over the weekend to see if or to what extent the sub simming is still occuring.

#121 ·
I sent my complaint to "Ask Jim" as well and received two emails back. One was from Jennifer offering to speak with me about the issues but only between the hours of 9 am and 2 pm. As I am at work during that time and hard to reach so I emailed her back and asked if their was someone else who could speak to me about this during the evening hours. I did not get a response back however I did receive a second email from a different person who indicated that he would adjust my receiver account settings in such as way as to address my concerns. This "adjustment" is to happen today so I will be checking over the weekend to see if or to what extent the sub simming is still occuring.
I also complained and they are fixing it somehow, couldn't change channels for 30 minutes. Will have to check in primetime if anything happens. Don't know what they are doing, maybe changing receiver postal codes or something.

#119 ·
Translation: We own global, so we are attempting to force simsubs on you.

Since simsubs are performed by Virtual Channel override, it is completely possible to exclude the receivers on your account from the simsubs. So, if customers receiving out of zone simsubs complain, we can be exempted?

#124 ·
Go to Shaw Direct's website, and there are a few ways of voicing your complaints under the customer care, contact us section, including sending an email directly to the "Ask Jim" team. I was told that the "Ask Jim" team actually deals with these simsubs and implementing them. If enough people voice their displeasure, hopefully they will stop the simsubs altogether.

#126 · (Edited)
I went to their web site and asked the hardware dept. if they would share the list of bug fixes in firmware 6.22. I get the feeling that was a no no. Within 24 hours I got a phone call and it wasn’t what I’d call a friendly conversation, after 10 minutes of questioning about why I needed that information and if I had it what would do with it

I ask a few questions but he wasn’t much for sharing information.

#130 ·
Well, this is the response I received from the ask Jim team:

"I’m sorry that you are unhappy with the Virtual Channel Override. It is true that in some areas customers may decide that they do not want to be a part of this and opt out. I see on your account that you were displeased with the simultaneous substitution in the past as well. We believe that we have corrected the issues that you noted, but due to your previous experiences we will change the code on your receiver so you do not have the Virtual Channel Override. This is not a guarantee that you will never have the override, as areas and territories that are affected by this may change in the future. However, we have remove the override for you at this time.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies."

I hope it's true. I'll have to wait to find out of course. I think Global picks up golf today from NBC, so I can check then. Otherwise, it'll be Sunday night most likely to determine for sure.

#131 ·
And this is the response I got...

"I’m glad that you have been enjoying your services with us so far, and I can certainly give you some more information regarding the Virtual Channel Override (also known as simultaneous substitution). The simultaneous substitution is in place to promote Canadian content and has been extended to all of Ontario, not just those within the Toronto viewing area. The simultaneous substitution should be a seamless transition from the US content to Canadian content, with the only differences for the most part being the advertising. We will certainly forward your concern regarding the areas that this affects.

Signal substitution is done to bring millions of advertising dollars back into the Canadian broadcasting system. The CRTC has a duty, under the Broadcasting Act, to foster a strong and financially viable domestic industry. When broadcasters buy programs from American and Canadian producers or networks, they pay for exclusive distribution rights in their home markets. The simultaneous substitution regulation, set out in the CRTC Cable Regulations, is designed to protect those rights. These regulations permit Canadian broadcasters who purchase American programming, to use signal substitution as a means to earn advertising dollars. While currently Global has begun to use simultaneous substitution, it is certainly possible for other channels to do so as well, although I do not have any information if any others will do this.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct,"

Is this even legal to do if you aren't within range of a broadcast tower?

#132 ·
No, and that's the thing! Shaw Direct was the best at implementing the simsubs, as they did it by the postal code of the receiver. Only those in range within the broadcasting transmitter suffered through the simsubs.

Since they have bought Global, they have changed their practices, to put more pocket into a station they own, as they will of course get more eyeballs on Global's ads if they do the simsubs. Only Thunder Bay is exempt, since the Global affiliate there is independently owned, and Shaw did not purchase that one as part of the deal! So it's very obvious what Shaw has done here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.