Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

127K views 401 replies 92 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw recently bought Canwest Global, and now they are simsubbing Global HD overtop of American HD channels, even in areas where they never used to! Shaw Direct does all their simsubs via the postal code of your receiver, and we still live outside the 75 km radius of the nearest Global HD OTA transmitter, so we here shouldn't be subjected to Global HD simsubs. It seems like they are just doing it with Global as well, because other Canadian networks like CTV aren't doing simsubs. Can they just change their ways because they now own Global? Where is our right as a consumer for them to follow the CRTC's policies?

#79 ·
As we get to this time of year my tv comes on less and less but I just tuned in to watch golf and yikes is the PQ ever horrible. I simply cannot believe how bad it is compared to before.

With SD being the last to go simsub, as far as I know, I will certainly not buy a new receiver from them at this time. I'll wait and see what BluSky's offering will be like and maybe make the full switch at that time.

Been with SD for about 5 years and have put up with annual increases (have just dealt with it by removing channels). The clear advantage they had was the better HD PQ. Not anymore.

#80 ·
sim-sub

Today the NBC Channels 360/379 were simsubbed to Global Maritimes and the 360/379 went to black; Customer service unable to give an explanation after a refresh and reboot; passed to tech support who also could offer no explanation;My receiver is the 505. Video on ch 336/329 which are global channels; just by luck I had channel hopped to Global BC and was able to watch the Golf tournament;

Thanks Shaw Direct; this long time customer is peeved

All I got was a "we don't know"

#81 ·
What would happen if you were to have no signal on the channel that is overriding the US feed? Like if you were missing either left or right polarization for some reason. Is the receiver smart enough to go back to the US feed? I assume not.
I have noticed that the Global Maritimes simsubs don't seem to start on time either. I've done some investigating, and pulling the plug does remove the simsub for a variable amount of time. Once the receiver reboots getting into the diagnostic menu (diagnostic E1 I think) and pressing info will temporarily prevent the guide for reloading, and the simsub stays away for about 5 minutes.

#82 ·
ref post 78/pokerface

"Hello! Watch the Canadian channels! "

Pokerface; ref yr quote; I pay good money to obtain certain channels;I pay for the veiwing of all their network programming;if the government does not want me to watch then don't offer the product; 1936 Germany comes to mind.

I want the intermission news updates; weather trends;future programming updates; etc etc;sim-subs deny me that programming;the local advertising argument does not hold water with this viewer;

I do watch the Canadian channels when the need arises but I also pay for that as well;sim-subs means I pay twice.

My opinion only

cheers

#83 ·
I've always HATED simsubs!

I happen to share your view, Commish. I merely mention that people should watch the Canadian channels because it makes things less troublesome for recording shows. Hugh mentioned that he often records the Canadian channels (and even the other US feed at times) to avoid some of the simsub hassles.

I love being able to watch the full US broadcasts with their commercials, often better signals (though many US channels look and sound worse through Rogers), sports updates and even their often more annoying snipes. It's an experience that simsubs help to ruin.

Presentation is often as important as the content and that's why the great chefs also make their food look as good as (or often better than) it tastes.

Can we eliminate the simsubs? Sure, use OTA broadcasts and other methods to fight the insanity. To think that complaining about them to the CRTC and the Gang will ever stop them, is "bordering" on foolishness.

If you want to have even higher blood pressure or get even more aggravated, just keep complaining to the wall known as the CRTC.

You guys know what's going on and although these forums are great for commiserating (commisherating), they have failed to stop the simsubs from growing in strength.

Twittering Tony Clement is still your best chance for bringing about change, but most of you are too wise to put your faith in a politician, regardless of how often the twittering occurs. :rolleyes:

This thread helps others see how absolute power corrupts absolutely, so the fact that this thread will occasionally slip into another We hate the CRTC for allowing this nonsense to continue is not surprising.

It would be simpler to just run a blackout screen (mentioning the Canadian channels carrying the US programs in question) over all the US channels that are showing programming that was purchased by Canadian channels and being simsubbed at that moment. Perhaps that is the future of Canadian Television. Stay tuned ... same Bat-times, same Bat-simsubbed channels.

#85 · (Edited)
HD "Rules," but SD often triumphs

Yup, you shouldn't have to watch the lame SD CityTv feed at 8:30 pm and miss out on the early US HD feed of Rules of Engagement.

It just seems that Canadians often have to record the same show 18 different times on 18 different channels to hope that at least one of the channels included the content that we wanted (even if it was in lowly Standard definition).

It's an utter mess, at least for now. Perhaps it's time to send Tony Clement another tweet (that crack never gets old for me).

#87 ·
Global HD May 16th

Last nights 'House' was an example of someone not doing their job properly. I was watching the 8pm E HD US feed and it was simsubbed for the Global HD feed. #1 I do not live anywhere near a Global HD OTA signal. #2 The signal was constantly interrupted- as if someone couldnt make their mind up about which feed we should be getting. #3 The signal kept switching from HD letterbox to SD square- especially in the commercial breaks- even mid commercial.

At least try and get it right if you are going to force us to watch a Toronto feed- when I chose to watch a US feed! I love the irony that choice was dropped from the company name!

#88 ·
Simsubs to end

I used the "Ask Jim" feature on Shaw Direct's website to complain about these new blanket simsubs and I was told that Shaw Direct has decided to stop as of May 27. I was also told that Shaw Direct has not decided if they will try again at a later date. They may or may not, but they are listening to customer feedback on the issue. So next Friday things will go back to the way they were.

#89 ·
Shaw Direct waves the white flag?

Wowee! Shaw probably needs time to "perfect" its simsub technique to properly block out the US broadcasts without blocking the ones that shouldn't be simsubbed. Once that problem is solved, I assume it's back to the basics -- pounding away at Canadians until they surrender.

Round 1 goes to Shaw Direct.

Round 2 goes to its subscribers.

Round 3 should go to Shaw Direct, but let's see how long it takes before it tries again.

SD= Sly Devils

#92 ·
Their Office of the President told me May 27 as well... I guess that was the cut-off period for their trial all along.

But they did tell me they are listening to customer feedback. I think Shaw does listen to its customers a little moreso than other companies, so if we all keep complaining, hopefully they won't bring back this practice ever again.

#94 · (Edited)
Att: Tony Clement ... April Tweets bring May Sweeps

Some May 25th Season finales:

- Oprah (pass the tissues and the chicken wings)

- American Idol (Karaoke Revolution strikes again!)

- Modern Family (Sofía Vergara cleavage alert!)

- Cougar Town (Girrrrrrl Power!)

- Canada Post (renewal uncertain)

The suckers in Toronto get simsubs all year round. Hip hip hooray! :mad:

#96 ·
Reply just received from "Ask Jim"

We complained to "ask Jim" today about the way SD's simsubbing of Global HD over Detroit's CBS HD feed really screwed up last night's "The Good Wife". Initially there was no audio, plus poor video quality! We're in Northern Ontario, near Sault Ste Marie and have never had to worry about simsubbing up here (decades of simsubbing in the GTA before retirement was enough!).

Just writing to share the below reply from "Ask Jim" with everyone!

NOTE: The end date in the reply states May 30th and not 27th. Guess they want the simsubbing in place over the weekend!

Wed, 18 May, 2011 13:56:09
RE: Ask Jim Feedback - Other
Ask Jim <AskJim@shawdirect.ca>
Add to Contacts
To: Tembo_Canada@yahoo.ca; Ask Jim <AskJim@shawdirect.ca>

Hi Rory and Victoria

Thank you for your feedback. This program was a pilot and the Pilot will end May 30. We have listened to our customers and will take action

Regards

jim

#100 ·
Shaw has starting simsubbing again

Today (Tuesday, Sept. 13) Parenthood on NBC is simsubbed by Global. If this is really happening I am gone. I chose Shaw over Bell strictly because there was no simsubbing. If both simsub I may as well be with Bell. More reliable and better channel selection.

#103 ·
Yup same here, and I'm in Ottawa - no local Global station here. I was watching America's Got Talent on NBC East HD, and they were running late. The end of the show got cut off with the Global simsub for Parenthood. Arggggggg!!!!

Looks like they're starting it up again for the new Fall season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.