Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

127K views 401 replies 92 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw recently bought Canwest Global, and now they are simsubbing Global HD overtop of American HD channels, even in areas where they never used to! Shaw Direct does all their simsubs via the postal code of your receiver, and we still live outside the 75 km radius of the nearest Global HD OTA transmitter, so we here shouldn't be subjected to Global HD simsubs. It seems like they are just doing it with Global as well, because other Canadian networks like CTV aren't doing simsubs. Can they just change their ways because they now own Global? Where is our right as a consumer for them to follow the CRTC's policies?

#54 ·
Yesterday May 5.
Time: 5pm PST.
Channel CBS East 286.
Show: The Big Bang Theory

Feed was replaced with the CTV HD feed (I presume the Toronto one since that's the only CTV HD feed on Shaw Direct). CTV logo was in the bottom right corner of the screen, and the commercials had CTV promos.

#55 ·
The only law that I can remember offhand is that the simulcast signal must be of the same quality as the signal being substituted. There might be a distance requirement, but it's irrelevant for local cable operations.

There are no competing West HD feeds, and I don't think there will be any time soon.

#56 · (Edited)
Avoiding simsubs with Shaw Direct

Can you still avoid the simsubs by unplugging your Shaw Direct receiver at the start of the program and then plugging it back in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution

Simsubs and satellite

In terms of satellite, the practice of simsubbing depends on the company. Shaw Direct invokes simsubs according to the subscriber's postal code, and is implemented by the receiver's firmware; this method enforces simsubs only in areas where they are needed. Even in areas where they are enforced, some worked their way around this by unplugging their receiver at the start of the program and plugging it back in.

Bell TV invokes simsubs to all subscribers nationwide, implemented by its uplink centre; by doing so, simsubs for a particular channel are implemented nationwide, regardless of where the subscriber lives or which feed the subscriber watches. Bell TV has also simsubbed TSN feeds, even though legally they are not required to because it is a specialty service (however, Bell owns a minority share in the network through CTVglobemedia).

#58 ·
TJ77: Shaw Direct is placing Global HD all over Ontario.

Tuesday night, there were no simsub by CTV HD during NBC's "The Voice". But they may have changed this because CTV complained they weren't being treated the same as Global. I'll double check sometimes soon if CTV is being placed overtop of US nets as well, not to mention other Canadian networks.

But regardless, this still shouldn't be happening. The CRTC can't even answer a basic email I sent them about the requirements for simsubs and the fact that they should only be carried out within 75 km of the transmitter. It's been 4 days since I sent it to them. How slow do government agencies work these days anyways? Sheesh.

#59 ·
Sorry, I meant to say Ontario, not Toronto.

Back in the days I had Bell, I filed several complaints about improperly performed simsubs. The CRTC usually took a week to respond. Bell did not respond to me within the required time, so I complained about and eventually got a nasty email back from Bell, which they requested that I not share with others. Basically they said that mistakes happen with simsubs, but to deal with it.

#60 ·
well i landed on CBS friday night when flashpoint was on.....and it was replaced whit the CTV version...i"m in atlantic canada(N.S.)....im not impressed at all ....i find the picture quality bad on the canadian stations which i never watch them except for the odd CBC show

#62 ·
There are still no interruptions by CTV HD in my area...
It would be nice if you put your location in your profile. "Canada" isn't very useful and we're not about to review all your posts to see if you tell us where you are in one of them.

It'd really be great if everyone put their location and provider in their profile/location, so that people wouldn't need to ask all the time.

#63 ·
Betrayed by Shaw

I see this as a betrayal by Shaw. They have the capacity to do simsubs correctly but are failing to do so due to their acquisition of Global. The current CRTC regime will do nothing about it either. Bell was granted the right to simsub nationally due to shortcomings in their receivers. (They can do blackouts but that would cause the obvious problems.) It's not unusual for companies to make decisions like this once they become more vertically integrated or acquire new operations but it doesn't make it right. It will make little difference to Canadians in major markets soon but that does not make it any less of a betrayal.

#64 ·
Can't Get it Right!

SD cannot even get the simsub process right. I was watching NCIS: Los Angeles last night on CBS and of course Global was brainwashing us with their "local" commercials, etc. At the conclusion of the show all of a sudden the CBS feed kicks in for a few seconds, and then they try to flip the switch back to Global for The Good Wife, well I see my 505 display blink and then the screen freezes and "acquiring sattelite signal" comes up on the screen.

This just shows that Shaw/Global has no idea what they are doing and that their equipment cannot handle the new process of sim-subbing....GIVE IT UP and lets go back to the old system!!!! AKA no sib-subbing for HD or others that are not in the GTA, Global Toronto region!

#67 ·
Simsubs are a low-calorie substitute for a Subway sandwich ... Enjoy!

If you were watching the CBS channel and not Global, you got what Shaw wanted you to get; the message that you shouldn't watch the US channels during a simsub. You don't have a US channel when it is being simsubbed.

However, not all simsubs are created equal ... there are times when the US channel that is being simsubbed may have a slightly better picture, or even slightly louder sound quality that makes watching it unavoidable. Still, you must be ready to switch over to the Canadian station during the last commercial break to avoid problems (or even sooner if you noticed that the simsub has not taken effect yet, or was temporarily cancelled for some reason).

Now that there are so many shows starting at 1 or even 2 minutes past the hour to keep US viewers from switching over to see the start of other programs, the simsub issue is even more dangerous and annoying. There will be so many "forced" errors occurring, that you will eventually learn your lesson and record from or watch the inferior Canadian stations, merely to get the show in its entirety (or at least as close to that as possible after a few cuts are made to add in more commercial time to the Canadian versions).

Yes, we all know that Canadians are suckers and that the CRTC will turn a blind eye to our complaints, however, in the Kingdom of the Blind leading the Blind, the creature with one eye is King! The CRTC has one eye closed and one eye opened, making sure that the TV stations are taken care of and that the viewers are given the "stink-eye."

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. Shaw Direct is controlling transmission.

If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set.

You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

You have been punked!

#68 ·
Sadly no one is talking about...

changing providers, as I am. In Woodstock (like London) there are no HD simsubs on Rogers. Will be watching this weekend (tv hardly on during the week) before making a decision.

Hey SD630 - can you pass the negative sentiment of this decision here to the SD brass?

Thanks
Steve

EDIT: This sucks - I checked Rogers site and they have Buffalo not Detroit - I guess they HD simsub unless someone else can comment.

#70 ·
Ugh is right!

If I could afford the health care in the US I would be so out of here. Wonderful country we live in.
Fuzzy pic at times, to the point of being nauseous; and I really need to know about flying out of the island airport on Porter Airlines out here in the interior of BC!:rolleyes:
I left the Calgary to Toronto commute years ago and retired in BC. Give me a break!

I used to get good ideas about deals for my next trip to the US by catching some of the US commercials.

Stupidest move yet by Shaw/Global. Zellers won't get any of my business anyway and if there was a good alt to SD I would be gone in a heartbeat. SD is living on borrowed time with this ...poor attitude about customers..

#71 ·
!!! take this!

quote:

Mr Minister:

Take a look at what Shaw Direct is now doing since they Acquired Global/Canwest. They are forcing those of us in the interior of BC to watch Global or CTV programming rather than the US Eastern feeds. We don't need the Toronto based advertising out west. Does us no good. We like our US feeds which we had until a few days ago. Picture quality is better also.
Is the CRTC allowing Toronto programming to overlay/simsub US programming, in the interior of BC???
Porter Airlines is not pertinent to me,. Nor is Toronto Island and the Airport. So "local advertising" excuse does not hold water with us the consumer.

See thread in forum..

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=139945

#72 ·
Since simsubs always result in a worse viewing experience, including parts of shows being cut-off, and poorer audio / video, it seems like we're getting half the product (i.e., half the quality of standard of the American channels we should be).

Maybe we should just pay half our bill to these providers next time and see how well they like it!!!

#73 ·
Since simsubs always result in a worse viewing experience
There are occasional exceptions where the Canadian Broadcaster gets a superior product - say HD instead of SD and DD5.1 instead of DD2.0. It's pretty rare but does happen - Jeopardy Toronto vs Buffalo is one example.

Although Global has been a source of many problems, I believe that CTV has not been as much of a problem - when they first started subbing, the quality was inferior and they were forced to take the subbing down for about a year until they had their act together (partly due to the actions of many in this forum years ago).

#75 ·
I have the 630 set to record Rules of Engagement on Thursdays at 8:30 pm on ch. 286 (cbs hd) - I just sat down to watch the episode recorded on May 5, only to find it recorded CTV (which doesn't carry Rules) - Hot in Cleveland was recorded instead. So I then went to watch the May 12th episode of Rules, only to find again that it recorded CTV, this time Big Bang Theory.

Pressing info showed that it was SUPPOSED to be Rules on 286, yet it was CTV, and the shows recorded was not Rules - so I ended up missing 2 episodes - obviously they screwed up the simsub and I'm pissed - if they can't get it right, they shouldn't be allowed to do it at all!

I don't know what I should do for next week's episode - maybe set it to record all instances of the show, and hope at least one of the recordings is the right one?

#77 ·
I would also fire off an email to SD right away with your complaint.

According to the schedule, BIG Bang... will be shown again next week 2 episodes back-to-back on CTV-HD at that time slot. I would second GaryE and record the show at 11:30pm from CBS-W-HD.

I find it amazing how Shaw bucked the trend by ignoring GlobalHD for so many years and priding themselves on only miniscule simsubbing in localized areas but now that they have a financial interest, they have opened the floodgates and CTV is also riding the wave. For those who PVR shows, commercials (Canadian or American) become mute anyway with FF and Jump. Perhaps they will want to eliminate that ability too with the next firmware update.

#78 ·
Hello! Watch the Canadian channels!

Or you could also record the CANADIAN CityTv broadcast on 344 (I believe) and hopefully that will work. If you wait to record the West feed, what happens if there's a power failure or some other problem?

Note: If there ever was a simsub screwup with the CityTv broadcast and it also showed the CTV shows, a simple call to CityTv (control room) should be able to get them to contact the right people at Shaw to make sure it doesn't happen again, or else CityTv and Shaw could schedule a WWE-style Cage match on PPV, with proceeds going to the Let's Eliminate All Of The US Channels From Our Systems (so that we can get US exclusives for all the broadcasts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.