Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

127K views 401 replies 92 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw recently bought Canwest Global, and now they are simsubbing Global HD overtop of American HD channels, even in areas where they never used to! Shaw Direct does all their simsubs via the postal code of your receiver, and we still live outside the 75 km radius of the nearest Global HD OTA transmitter, so we here shouldn't be subjected to Global HD simsubs. It seems like they are just doing it with Global as well, because other Canadian networks like CTV aren't doing simsubs. Can they just change their ways because they now own Global? Where is our right as a consumer for them to follow the CRTC's policies?

#4 ·
It is possible that SD have simply not invoked the postal code directive on those simsubs yet. Rather than thinking that something sinister is going on, you should contact Shaw Direct, make them aware of the situation and ask them to invoke the postal code option properly as per directions from the CRTC. If it continues after a few weeks, then it's time to recontact them, copy the CRTC and advise the "offended" broadcaster. Best to do this in writing (e-mail), since then there is a record of the conversation.

Let's hope SD_630_Support reads this too, since he's been pretty responsive.

#5 ·
I contacted Shaw Direct, and the CSR told me at first that he didn't know of any changes to the way Shaw handles simsubs (unlike Rogers reps who mostly don't even know what simsubs are to begin with and the fact that the BDU carries them out). I told the Shaw CSR that it is very coincidental that Shaw is now carrying out simsubs only with Global, and not other Canadian channels, even with viewers that weren't subjected to simsubs before, because they were out of the OTA HD transmitter area. He stated that he didn't think that was the reason why they would be changing things, but I was adamant it was the reason.

He then further looked into things, and found an internal email that stated that Shaw Direct is now carrying out simsubs via Global for all Canadian shows they have the rights to across all of Ontario, except in Thunder Bay, as well as the rest of most of Canada! He couldn't tell me why Thunday Bay was exempt. I told him this seems like it's in violation of the CRTC's policies. He fully understood things about the way simsubs are carried out, and fully understood why I was annoyed by this happening all of a sudden, in a location where I shouldn't be subjected to simsubs. He actually felt "betrayed" by Shaw Corporate that he didn't know about this change in simsubbing practice by Shaw, and he actually had to dig up the info himself and find this internal email from another employee, after putting me on hold several times!

He told me that the internal email stated that the policy change was in part to appeal to customers wants and needs (in terms of local ads???), and also to test out their equipment to perform simsubs across the board (hopefully that doesn't mean all Canadian channels will be simsubbed). But I told him that is totally bogus, as Shaw already knows they can implement simsubs properly - so well in fact that they do it via the postal code of the receiver - how much more accuracy do they want, and the fact that they are only doing it for a channel that they now own means they are only trying to maximize the profits for it. He then felt further angered himself that Shaw would actually pull a stunt like this. It seemed to me like he was a long time employee that started out when the company was much smaller. It was actually amazing to hear him get all ruffled about this policy change himself, one because he wasn't told of it himself, and two because of my complaining and most likely further complaints down the road by other customers.

I have filed a complaint against the CRTC. Shaw cannot change their ways just because they own a network now.

#7 ·
It just seem that they are just doing what all the other Canadian carriers are doing.
Not really - Rogers Ontario handles simsubs properly within the capabilities of their distribution system. Those in the GTA get subbed while those in London or Ottawa do not, depending on the channel in question. London and Ottawa also get different feeds of US channels - Detroit vs Buffalo, etc. I believe Shaw cable, Cogeco, Videotron and other cable providers are mostly handling it correctly too, within the capabilities of their distribution systems.

What SD are doing, if they're going Canada wide, is the same as what BTV have been doing for years (BTV got an exemption from the CRTC to allow this). SD are either angling to get the same exception, or have the exemption removed from BTV so that the playing field is "level" between the two Sat providers.

All of this will soon be moot as OTA (HD) transmitters will cover most of the country's population for Global and CTV and simsubs will be country-wide.

#8 ·
Mrbean5411, if you live in Brampton, you should have been subjected to simsubs all the time, as you are within the 75 km radius of the OTA HD Toronto transmitters.

Here in Kitchener, Shaw Direct never simsubbed with any Canadian networks. I went online, and others stated that CTV is not being simsubbed on Shaw Direct, only Global is. I have check out things myself with CTV. But if CTV isn't, and Global only is, then we definitely know what's up.

#12 ·
I guess for me it doesn't make much difference since I am subject to Simsubs from Global HD and CTV HD due to being in the Toronto market.

My assumption is Thunder Bay is not included because the Global affiliate in that city is a private affiliate. St John's might be another city that might be exempt from this.

This is exactly why BDU's should not be allowed to own local stations. There is too much of a conflict of interest. They are giving their own network preferential treatment over other Canadian networks and they are doing a disservice to many customers that should not be subjected to global simsubs.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I guess for me it doesn't make much difference since I am subject to Simsubs from Global HD and CTV HD due to being in the Toronto market.

My assumption is Thunder Bay is not included because the Global affiliate in that city is a private affiliate. St John's might be another city that might be exempt from this...
Ok, that would certainly explain things. Very interesting, very interesting indeed!

#15 ·
Simsubs

You certainly are lucky to be able to avoid simsubs. You could actually set your timer to record a show and not have to worry about a simsub error cutting off the beginning or ending of a show you love ... and in some cases not getting to watch a show at all.

I would probably still be a subscriber to Rogers Cable had it not been for the annoying simsub screwups that caused me to miss several shows I wanted to watch. Calling Rogers to get them to fix the problem was very frustrating and still kept me from watching many shows in their entirety. Why should I pay for aggravation?

Whether or not this is another case of vertical integration getting in the way of your enjoyment, one thing is for certain ... vertical integration is here to stay and will only get worse. Canada is getting very good at putting the squeeze on Canadians.

Vertical integration isn't the focus of this thread, so I'll just leave you with this article link and be on my merry way:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ertical-integration-ubb/article2007003/page1/

In the U.S., for instance, the fully integrated multimedia conglomerate has become the exception (e.g. Comcast/NBC-Universal) after the disastrous AOL-Time Warner merger, the break-up of Viacom-CBS and collapse of the “old” AT&T. Indeed, the reign of sprawling media conglomerates is in retreat in almost every other developed capitalist democracy.

With events in Canada running counter to trends elsewhere, it is time to think about breaking-up Bell/CTV, Shaw/Global (Corus), Rogers/City-TV and Quebecor/TVA (Sun TV) into two separate parts: network infrastructure and content services. This is called “structural separation” and under this scenario these entities would become wholesalers of network facilities and retailers of their own content and services.

#17 ·
A response from a CSR from Shaw after emailing them my concerns after my initial phone call:

"Thank you for your e-mail, your input is very important to us, as we strive to deliver the highest quality TV viewing possible. We understand your frustration with this interruption and we do endeavour to avoid these situations occurring at all times. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Shaw Direct is required to implement Simultaneous Substitution whereby the signal of a US station is entirely replaced by the signal of a Canadian station only when both stations air the same program at the same time. This is a CRTC requirement and must be followed by all major cable companies and Satellite TV distributors. It is designed to protect the rights of Canadian broadcasters. These regulations permit Canadian broadcasters who purchase American programming, to use signal substitution as a means to earn advertising dollars.

Basically, for simultaneously broadcast programming on US over-the-air channels and Global stations, we will now be doing simultaneous substitutions over broader areas, like so:

>§ Global Maritimes to cover the Atlantic region;

>§ Global Montreal to cover Quebec;

>§ Global Toronto to cover Ontario (except for the 75 km area surrounding Thunder Bay)

>§ Global Toronto HD to cover Ontario

>§ Global Winnipeg to cover Manitoba

>§ Global Saskatoon to cover Saskatchewan

>§ Global Calgary to cover Southern Alberta (Red Deer and south)

>§ Global Edmonton to cover Northern Alberta

>§ Global Vancouver to cover BC

Right now, we only do the substitutions over a 75 km range surrounding a broadcasting city. In addition, for Ontario customers, we will also be simultaneously substituting Global Toronto over Global Montreal for simultaneous broadcast programming. While more customers will experience simultaneously substituting, it should not affect service quality, as it is ONLY for simultaneous broadcast programming/episodes. If this trial is successful, Shaw Direct viewers will have the benefit of receiving more relevant local news, weather, and sports updates for simultaneously broadcast programming."

So, it has been confirmed via email of what I (and others here and elsewhere suspected). The last step is to double-check tonight if CTV or any other Canadian network is simsubbed in my area (I couldn't last night as I was busy), and then we definitely know what Shaw's motives are... not to provide us with a better local experience, but to make more $$$.

#18 ·
If Shaw isn't doing the same for CTV, a compliant will be filed, we can all be sure of that.

In broadcasting decision 2008-358, regarding a complaint filed by CTV against Star Choice, Shaw and Bell concerning the HD simultaneous substitution of the Super Bowl that year, the CRTC determined that simsubs should be undertaken by the method in which they always had been.
That year Bell had offered the Fox HD feed of the Super Bowl on temporary channels to all subscribers outside of the grade B contour of CTV HD Toronto and Vancouver, though this was not the accepted method that Bell had adopted, thus the CRTC determined that Bell was in breach.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-358.htm

Clearly Shaw Direct is making changes to the way it performs simsubs, and clearly if Global was not owned by Shaw Communications, we would not even be discussing this...

#19 ·
I remember that broadcasting decision. I am still waiting to hear back from the CRTC regarding this specific issue.

CTV is copying NBC (what else is new) in airing NBC's The Voice at 9 pm EDT tonight, so I will definitely be checking to see if there is a CTV logo overtop of NBC at this time.

#20 ·
If they cover BC with Vancouver, Yup this will really be local programming for the interior of BC!!:rolleyes: These companies think their customer base is nothing but stooges, hillbillies, with weak brainpower, etc. etc. Telus just tried something with me because of their competition increasing rates, so they followed suit. They gained $2/month and promptly lost $9/month and I retain the same service.
Shaw Direct may lose my monthly amount all together. Global quality is a joke/oxymoron.

#22 ·
No simsubs of NBC by CTV during "The Voice". Global is overtop of CBS during "NCIS: Los Angeles".

The investigation is complete. We know what Shaw is up to now.

Oddly enough, the signal strength on CBS Detroit went from 97 down to 91 with Global interrupting things. Is that possible? I guess it is, since we are actually forced to watch another station when we want to tune into CBS Detroit, so we are not actually getting what should have been beaming down from the skies.

#23 ·
So, in the past VCO (virtual channel override) could be defeated if you simply PVR'ed stuff because it would override the VCO and record the covered channel. I'm guessing that can't be done any more.

So, I guess the next question would be how does this affect timsehifting? If I'm recording CBS-Spokane in Ontario, do I end up with Global Calgary?

Being in SK, even when OTA-HD becomes the norm, it will only be noticeable when the time change happens and we go back to Central time. I figure the West feeds for the East and the East feeds for the West being PVR'ed will be the norm.

#26 ·
This is pretty outrageous. CTV is going to be looking for the same treatment, and they'll likely get it, along with any other OTA station.
I don't know what it is about Global, but everytime I watch one of its stations, the picture just seems dark and awful to me.
This is just one of the reasons why media consolidation moves the market from equilibrium. Canwest should have just gone into liquidation. The few useful bits of the company (Food & HGTV) would have been snatched up, and the rest of the recycled crap would have been gone. <End Rant>

#27 ·
I finally got around to watching House from Monday, recorded from FoxE HD.

The first 34 minutes or so was FOX, then I got a black screen, my remote wouldn't work and nothing happened for about 45 seconds. Then all of a sudden, remote works again, and picture pops back up, but now the feed was Global.

When I looked at the progress bar, there was a red line right where I encountered difficulties - as in right where they simsubbed.

SD's half-as*ed simsub actually caused an error for a seconds in the recording.

So, if a TV provider cannot do simsubs correctly and flawlessly, shouldn't they not be allowed to do them?

Then, if the feed they simsub is of lower quality, shouldn't we have a choice?

Instead of forcing a Canadian feed on us, perhaps some research should be done into why Canadians might choose the US feed over their own.

My reasons? Inferior quality (and no next week previews).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.