Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Simsub discussion

127K views 401 replies 92 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw recently bought Canwest Global, and now they are simsubbing Global HD overtop of American HD channels, even in areas where they never used to! Shaw Direct does all their simsubs via the postal code of your receiver, and we still live outside the 75 km radius of the nearest Global HD OTA transmitter, so we here shouldn't be subjected to Global HD simsubs. It seems like they are just doing it with Global as well, because other Canadian networks like CTV aren't doing simsubs. Can they just change their ways because they now own Global? Where is our right as a consumer for them to follow the CRTC's policies?

#28 ·
Simsubs are part of our Canadian 'Culture'

Note: I don't consider this a rant because my blood pressure hasn't risen during the typing of this post. This is a rational post about the reality of living in Canada...

You simsub rookies have a lot to learn. Rule #1 of recording is to always record the Canadian broadcast if there is a simsub scheduled. Even if the first 98% of the US show you are watching has no simsub, it doesn't mean that the folks at your cable company (generally through automated computer switching) won't realize that the simsub isn't working and then manually turn it on.

The Canadian channels don't like it when their simulcasts are ignored and will often call to complain. The TV channel folks complain to the guys at the top of the food chain, while your calls go to the guys at the bottom. Who do you think is listened to more often?

You can find next week promos on some Global shows like Rookie Blue.

I've experienced years of simsub errors (using Rogers Cable) and the guys at the cable companies spend hours (at least minutes) going through their automated system to try to predict where there might be a problem with upcoming simsubs and either program one in, or remove one that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately, there are far too many errors within the system that they miss. It was once estimated many, many, many, many years ago that Rogers only makes simsub errors about 1% of the time each year. That sounds good until you realize that 1% of more than a million simsubs is still at least 10,000 errors.

Getting Shaw subscribers to cancel their service all at once to protest the simsubs is far too difficult to coordinate than it should be. Shaw will just offer you a better price for your package for the next year if you promise to stay with them. Are you going to turn down a bargain if one is offered to you? I doubt it. That's just one reason why Shaw can do whatever it wants and keep on ticking ... off its subscribers.

Simultaneous cancellations (A.K.A.: simcans) are difficult to coordinate. You will need to organize a Union and have rotating leaders to make it more difficult for the Canadian companies to throw all the leaders in jail, or even worse ... force them to watch simsubs.

Global is also notorious for running its shows up until the very last second of the hour (instead of ending the shows a few minutes before the hour like many US broadcasters do, or at least did in the past) to squeeze in more commercials and make timer taping of other channels even more difficult (your clock has to be very accurate).

You do have a choice. You can choose to ignore US content on US channels and instead view whatever the Canadian channels are airing. If you have access to OTA broadcasts (even if you can only get some Canadian stations), at least you can avoid paying the Canadian cable and satellite companies to aggravate you further ... and the picture will be even better than cable or satellite (due to less compression).

You can choose to be aggravated, or you can choose to find US programming via other means. For House M.D., I now simply wait for one of my local Libraries to get the DVDs and then I borrow them for free. Others might choose to watch Global shows on the Internet (either on the Global site, or elsewhere), or might just buy the DVDs.

The more money you have, the easier it often is to get around the "evil" Canadian companies. I even buy DVDs from online US retailers to save the $10 (or more) that the Canadian distributors or stores charge as a gouging fee.

You know you live in a troubled country when it's quite often cheaper to buy DVDs and Blu-rays from the USA (including the extra shipping charges and not even taking the Canadian dollar into account), instead of buying the Canadian versions with "free" shipping.

Once again, God Bless America.

#29 ·
This Sucks!

I was a happy to be a SD customer because living far away from Toronto I was not subject to sim-subbing. Now all of a sudden I turn on the tv and everything is sib subbed from Global onto Fox. After years of being forced to watch local Canadian ads I was happy to get away from it, but now we have gone full circle and back at square one.

As a consumer I should be able to watch a US Broadcast since the show is 100% American!!!!! Global & CTV barely have any original shows other than the news, so why should I be forced to watch them at all! If I want to watch Canadian content I will watch the CBC, isn't that what is there for?

Wake up Shaw Direct and listen to your customers, and CRTC..YOU CONTINUE !@!!! SUCK...and until you are dissolved Canadians will continue to suffer injustice when it comes to TV, Cell Phones and Internet!

#31 ·
I would never watch the Canadian network when wanting to watch an American show out of principle... Canadian networks are just leeches that have no input into the production or broadcast of the show.

You can record off the alternate feed, but being a watcher of plenty of live sporting events, there will be no choice for me to do that, as both east and west feeds will be simsubbed.

Maybe it's time to look into an over-the-air antenna to avoid these simscams... err, I mean simsubs.

#35 ·
Shaw's Shanked Redemption: When Customers Attack!

You guys are so stubborn. This is Canada. We do things differently here.

While you watch the Canadian stations, I want you to keep muttering the following prayer:

“Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

You can physically change the channel, but with simsubs you basically end up in the same place. You have the wisdom to know the difference between the Canadian feed and the US feed, but resistance is futile.

Don't you just love hearing: "Canada is watching CTV." I know I did. I used to get chills down my spine each time I heard that. I envy you guys.

You don't need the US stations! They will just pollute your mind!

If a show isn't sim-subbed, it's probably not worth watching. If you think it is, then wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. So what if the US version of Dancing with the Stars isn't on DVD ... you can still probably find a few clips online somewhere.

Send Tony Clement a tweet and let him know that you're mad as hell and don't want to be ignored! He'll tell you what he had for dinner and then turn on his DirectTV unit and watch those evil US stations to see what propaganda they are spewing.

You have no business watching US shows on US channels. The CRTC isn't in business to please you. It's in business to make the tough decisions that you are not capable of making. Once the two channels are combined into 1 sim-subbed Canadian station, then and only then, can you rest easy and not worry about making the wrong choice.

Global has just announced that The Simpsons will now be known as The Simsubs here in Canada.

#37 ·
simsubs

repeating myself but here goes:

When ever a channel is injected with the Canadian Network during simutaneous program broadcasting, we should be re-imbursed; we are paying for "X" number of channels therefore that number is now reduced;

I am paying to watch other networks and I wish to see all their programming which also includes newsbreaks, ads of future program offers, etc etc;we miss those when a channel is subbed; therefore re-imburse me when this takes place.

Food for thought

commish

#38 ·
Response I got from Shaw Direct on Twitter regarding sim subbing:

"Hello, we certainly appreciate your feedback. Simultaneous substitution is a requirement of the Canadian Broadcasting System and we’re currently testing our capabilities to ensure we’re bringing our customers relevant local news, weather, and commercials"

How is a sim-sub of Global HD Toronto going to give me relevelant local news,weather and commercials when I live over 2 hours away from there??!!!

#39 ·
Shaw Direct has always used a technicality with simsubs for years. Technically those in London are subject to simsubs from Global because the channel 6 transmitter covers that city.

Shaw use to only use the originating transmitter as it's determination of whether or not you get a simsub. Of course now that their is a common ownership, they have closed that loophole; at least for Global anyway. I do think that those that are not within a grade b contour of a Global transmitter should not be subjected to simsubs. It appears that Shaw Direct is doing a blanket simsub over the entire province; even areas that are not served by Global. That should be stopped IMO

#43 ·
Simultaneous substitutions are a requirement, but there is no way all of Ontario should be seeing Global HD simsubs. Only the 75 km radius surrounding Toronto should, and that's my big issue - they just changed their ways because they bought out Global. I'm still awaiting to hear back from "Ask Jim" and Shaw in my follow up emails to them, not to mention the CRTC.

#46 ·
Received a response from Shaw, and they said that the CRTC was requiring them to do this. I responded asking them to point out a recent CRTC decision changing this policy, since I had never had an eastern feed simsubbed before in almost 10 years of using their service. We e-mailed back and forth for a bit, including me saying the only reason they were doing this was because they wanted the extra ad revenue from Global and didn't want to upset CTV so they were doing it on CTV as well. I received a reply from a different person at Shaw after I made this accusation (I'm guessing the next level up of support), and here it is:

The CRTC certainly regulates some of the simultaneous substitution. However the recent changes that you mention was a decision that we made as a company. We are always looking for ways to provide the most efficient service. When we were presented with the opportunity to supplement American feeds for Canadian we felt that it was a bold move. This change will not affect your programming in anyway. The change will only affect commercials. Now instead of watching commercials that do not apply in Canada we are able to share local news, weather and emergency updates that are more directed to your area.
"Bold move" indeed. I am curious why another person did not have this problem with the CBS east feed of the Big Bang Theory. Are the Shaw Direct DVR's immune from simsubs on recordings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.