Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion

134K views 539 replies 120 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Starting the morning of Wednesday February 16, HDDSR 605 and HDPVR 630 receivers will begin to be updated from Current Version 00.13 to 04.06.

The overall usage and look/feel of the system is unchanged with this download. 04.06 includes a few new and updated features along with providing a more consistent and reliable experience.

We’ve prepared some FAQ and detailed information on this update.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting the afternoon of February 15. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming days.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, with one exception:
- If upgrading from version 00.10, Channel Locks and Favourites lists will not migrate. Refrain from setting these until after the download.

After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.

What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
  • Tuning Rebuild – Audio/video are now presented much faster when turning on the receiver, changing channels, or stopping PVR playback. Tuner lockup/phantom recordings have been eliminated.
  • HDD Space Remaining – In response to your feedback, we’ve added the disk remaining bar to the PVR List and PVR/Upcoming menus. The bar has been made more compact and is now colour coded depending on how full your hard drive is.
  • Parental Controls – The experience with Parental Controls enabled should be more stable, with occurrences of the “false PIN” screen reduced and no more “No Data” blocks for programs that cross the GMT boundary.
  • Guide changes – Channel lineup changes (like new channels being launched) will now appear within 60 minutes, or immediately by turning the receiver off and back on. A Front Panel Reset should no longer be required to fix missing or duplicated channels in your Guide.
  • LIVE and 3D programs now have an icon in the Guide. “Live” programs will now be included when selecting “Record new episodes”. Note that these icons do not appear in the full-screen INFO pages.
  • Search Enhancements – Interests Search genres are now sorted in correct alphabetical order when the language is set to French; Programs beginning with accented characters are no longer grouped at the bottom of the results list; and programs with accented characters can now be properly searched.
  • Tune in Satellite Signal – The OPTIONS 4-3-1 menu now provides signal level from both tuners, an indication of signal strength, satellite, modulation, and transponder ID for both tuners. If no background recording is taking place, some values will not be available. This menu is primarily for self installation/dish alignment and advanced troubleshooting. Audio will be lost when exiting the menu, change channels to resolve.

See less See more
#164 ·
supherb said:
Now all wee need is for Shaw to solve the pixilation issue and activate the front port so that we can add a larger hard drive and this unit will actually be what we were all expecting and promised.
Aye, at least now with them being SATA drives we can replace the internal drive with one that is manufactured this decade and do a factory reset on the device and get the larger drive working. If my 630 wasn't working flawless finally i'd do this myself :)

#167 ·
^^^
Well, the way the 630 tunes channels as you flip through is to alternate tuners every channel change - so if you're getting "Acquiring Satellite Signal" every other channel, that would indicate to me that one of the inputs to the DVR is not working. Whether it's a bad cable/connection or an internal tuner issue I don't know.

edit: beaten to the punch :)

#169 ·
Nothing but problems with my 630's since the upgrade Feb. 20th. First of all, hate the fact that there is simulcasting with Canadian channels now, but that aside... I get quite a bit of pixelization, when that's occurring, it's 10 times as bad when I fast forward to try to find a clear spot on the program, I can barely see where I am in the show. My new favourite thing is approx. 2 mins. before a new recording is about to start, the recorded show I am watching starts to freeze. I can't even pause it or turn off the PVR until the top or bottom of the hour when the new recording starts. And just now, the receiver froze at 10:42 - the show I was watching paused, shows I was recording stopped although the red lights were still on and the clock stayed at 10:42 for 15 mins. I waited until 11:00 to do a front panel reboot just incase my shows recorded properly. They did not. If Shaw Direct needs someone for a proper test environment, the should come to my house, because I get frequent errors with the receivers.

#170 ·
No Video or audio, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie60
On another note, I currently have them side by side... has anyone noticed that the clocks don't sync? One will be ahead of the other by up to 15 seconds, then eventually they will reverse.????

SD 630 Support Response:
Yes. When you have 5 on your desk, you also notice this

Basically, the Front Panel clock is only updated every 30 seconds.
The actual internal clock is always accurate based on the satellite time it gets from the current transponder it's tuned to. You'll notice sometimes that the REC light comes on at 8:59 for a 9:00 recording. It's not that it's starting early (unless you've set that), it's that it's actually 9:00 but the Front Panel hasn't updated yet.

Thanks for the explanation... makes sense.
Tonight, I turned the "problem" 630 on again at 8:25 PM, and no video and no audio. Turning it off and on with the remote did not correct the problem. I tried the other 630 and it worked fine. The "problem" receiver was nearing the end of a recording so I waited for it to end at 8:30, and when the recording light went out, the tv screen did a funny flicker, then remained steady. I tried turning the receiver off and on again with the remote... no success. I had to do a front panel re-set to bring it back to life.
This is the third time this has happened, two in one day and today.
The only difference between my two receivers is the "problem" one has the hard drive showing 35% full and uses a HDMI output cable and the non problem receiver at 21% and uses component and audio output cables.
SD 630 Support: It seems that I am the only one with repeated problems, so if you have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for when this happens, let me know so I can pass it on to you to help resove this issue.
Other than this problem, I'm pleased with the new version of software. Menu, fast forward and general navigation is faster than before, and no random in the middle of a show reboots. It also seems to have solved the "rewind to the start" when fast forwarding while playing a recorded program.
It still has an audio stutter sometimes when fast forwarding with the "30 second" button, but is quickly resolved by pressing the "back 10 seconds" button, when watching a recorded program.

#171 ·
Channel Tuning

I bought the 630 for the RV that has two cables available. At the house I have only one cable. Prior to the update channel switching was slow but eventually it did switch. Now, as someone indicated you have to do some fancy work with the remote to get a channel that is out of the every other sequence. A bit of a pain and not really a complaint as the device was never designed to work in the way I have it set up. Only a couple of months before I put it in the RV anyway. So far, quite happy with both the 605 and 630.

#172 · (Edited)
"eyeeye", or anyone for that matter, i am new to digital forum and am an owner of the 630. I had my service discontinued in early January because of the issues everyone is aware of with the 630. I am with MTSTV now but have been waiting to see if all the problems with the 630 will be corrected. I am thinking about coming back to Shaw. A lot of the issues seem to be corrected by some of the comments here. Unfortunately you seem to still have problems. The issue that intrigues me, weird as it may seem to some, is the simulcast issue. This is a big thing with mts. You cannot watch CBS, NBC, ABC, or Fox without City, CTV or especially crappy Global cutting in to simulcast. That was a major factor that i liked about Shaw Direct, if you wanted to watch CBS, you watched CBS, not a simulcast with Global. Is this happening because Shaw owns Global now and by simulcasting people will see the crappy Canadian commercials and therfore increase revenue for Shaw? If this is in fact happening, i may as well stay with MTS. I also would like to enquire if anybody knows if the call display issue has been resolved. Mine never did work even after replacing the first 630. It did work with my 530

#174 ·
well since the upgrade to 4.06 i haven't been able to record a single program since feb21. the 630 is always frozen. i've done over one to 2 reboot per day.
meaning that when i open it i haven't got a signal, there's no timer or recording done at all i try to change channels and it's stuck at the last channel that i close the 630 the night before i have to do a reboot at the on/off on the front of the 630.the next day,+ the rec red light is on !??

when there's nothing set.. i'm looking at the dvr list and there's nothing recording. after the reboot/re-start all is ok. sometimes i loose all the info on the pvr list!!?? i have over 50 recorder programs.and plenty of space for others too.

when i got the 630 in october the cr at shaw told me that using only one line for it ,it would work but would be slow when changing channels.-no problem for me. -and ,it's slow like crazy. my old 505 was way faster.

i understand that it should use 2 lines, but i didn't need it since it worked+that when i record the programs the tv is off and no one is listening to it. now since they--shaw-- have done the reset i'm screwed about 20 channels don't work, i cancelled my hd sports +movie channels SE ,that i wasn't able to watch + reg hd channels too. wow 95$ a month and no service! i called them up and spent one useless hour with them. been told that since the upgrade to 4.06 the 630 acts this way &i MUST use 2 lines to it..and it can't record! :mad:

i think shaw made the upgrade the way they wanted it, usually when the 630 couldn't not find a channel it went back and i got my program now it doesn't go back i have to switch the cable to get the channel i want to watch! .

i been offered the free install for a 2nd line this next monday..he assures me that everything will work.. i'm shure it's the 630 that's defect. we'll see i'll keep you posted .. i don't know why i'm with then for so long.. 10 years..:confused:

#175 ·
Canadian, I don't think your PVR is defective. When I noticed the channel switching issue on my 630 after the update, I hooked up a second cable and it operates just fine. For some reason, the update is configured so that it doesn't check the other tuner anymore if no signal is detected. It does seem to change channels pretty quickly compared to how it performed prior to the update. As I mentioned before, I will have it hooked up to two cables in a couple of months and all will be well.

#176 ·
I am REALLY happy with the update and everything seems to work much better. No missing recordings, no need to reboot after adding/removing recordings and the 'most excellent' performance improvements (Deleting recordings/scheduling-rescheduling etc) are significant IMHO :)

SD_630_SUPPORT: I did have a problem last night where audio/video were fullscreen but when I tried to use any function where the video was in the video window (Guide, DVR List, Options), the video was displayed in the video window correctly, but everything else was black. I had to reboot in order to get proper operation again.

Looking at the diagnostic log, I am no longer rebooting in background anymore but there are pages and pages (About 200 pages) of: "TSI section filter: error caching buffer - dropping:S_errno_EAGAIN hal_db_filter_mgr_neptune.cpp:error - saving TSI data" (no timestamp) error messages. I know this error was causing the neptune task to get suspended in the previous release ... may be related to this and other problems being reported.

#212 ·
SD_630_SUPPORT: I did have a problem last night where audio/video were fullscreen but when I tried to use any function where the video was in the video window (Guide, DVR List, Options), the video was displayed in the video window correctly, but everything else was black. I had to reboot in order to get proper operation again.
Hi osmosis (and others who have reported this issue),

We've been trying to track this one down for awhile and seem to have made some progress this morning.

As expected, this seems to be related to either using the 4x3 Override or the "Native" or "HDMI" Output Format (all set in OPTIONS 4-5).

Each time we got our receiver in this state, we were able to easily resolve by:
- Pressing the ASPECT (or B) button on the remote control, or
- Changing to a channel in the "opposite" format to the current channel (e.g. going from SD to HD).

In both cases, the TV re-synced and all on-screen graphics came back. If you see this again, give one of these a try and let us know if it solves the problem for you.

#178 ·
I will add my name to those who like the new software. Have had it for 5 days now and so far only one spontaneous reboot while watching a recording lastnight. I have been giving it a workout today just watching and fastforwarding stuff I recorded through the week and so far no reboots. Still noticing pixeling on some of the standard def channels but the HD channels seem to be fine. I'll watch CTVOttawa News at noon and it is fine but soon as they switch to a network show at 1pm then it starts to pixelate. Not sure why no pixeling during the local broadcast though.

#179 ·
like the new software but...

Both of my 630's display this same error today...

Go into the PVR menu, tv image shrinks to the top left corner and the rest of the screen is black. No menu, no list of events.

Soft reset fixed it. For now.

#186 ·
Pixilization/fracturing

I have read several posts where the posters seem to be very pleased with the new firmware and are reporting 0 problems. The only problem I have had from the beginning is with the subject problem. I realize the new update was not suppose to fix it but what make me curious is that others don't appear to be having this problem. For example last night I was watching the Leaf hockey game with no problem until my recorder went on to record Hawaii 50 and then the problem started to the extent I felt like taking the receiver and throwing it. I tride changing to other cbc channels to no avail. Any suggestions?

#199 ·
Caller ID Troubleshooting

Is the call display feature working for the rest of you? My log shows some calls but even those never seem to be displayed.
My call display has never worked. The log has one call from Dec 8/10.
We've spent a lot of time investigating Caller ID and looking for possible solutions. Right now, it works for the majority of people but there are some folks where it never seems to display or log.

First, if calls are logged but not displayed on screen:
- Know that the Caller ID information is displayed at the lowest priority. If you have any other menus or displays onscreen (playback bar, Guide, info banner, etc.), the Caller ID information will not appear until you close the current menu/OSD.
- For some folks, it's been determined after troubleshooting that their TV is zooming the image so far off the screen it covers all or most of the caller ID banner.

Second, if calls are neither logged or displayed, but you can successfully report back (OPTIONS 4-3-3):
- We've looked at both hardware and software modifications to change the sensitivity of the modem to the Caller ID data. The challenge here is that any changes will probably cause Caller ID to stop working for people at the opposite end of the threshold.
- We're also investigating the possibility of an external device to boost the phone line voltage in your home (e.g. Ring Booster or similar). Others with similar issues with other devices (specialty telephones, VOIP systems, etc.) have reported success with these devices, but they're fairly pricey.

We'll keep you posted on how things unfold with respect to this issue. An interesting test to try is to unplug all other phones and modems in your house, other than the 630. Then let a call come in and see if Caller ID displays on the 630. If it does, boosting the phone line voltage or removing excess devices on your line may resolve the issue for you.

#189 ·
call display

I have found that it is the actual port that is causing the problem. With my first 630 it worked every time. the replacement that i got it never works, i can only get it to work when i hold the connector in the socket at the right angle. so it is obviously a quality control issue with Motorola and not a software problem. that is what i have found.

kevin

#190 ·
(Quote): I have read several posts where the posters seem to be very pleased with the new firmware and are reporting 0 problems. QUOTE]
There have been a few posts regarding the issue I'm having. Today is another day and another failure for my 630 to turn on. No video and no audio. I tried a hard reset by unplugging for 5 minutes. That solved the problem for now. I'll see what happens later.

#191 ·
Me too… I've had no audio/video when turning on the 630 twice now. Reset has fixed it both times.

I also lose signal sometimes when skip forwarding, just for a split second, but it happens very often. Checked my connections, all seem good.

I'm impressed with how fast the machine responds, especially when stopping recordings and I no longer have trouble with remote lags, even when two things are recording.

And I love the Closed Caption on/off quick key (help C). A great help.

#192 ·
I am pretty sure the problem of the black screen and no sound when switching on is an inherent one that goes back prior to the new code and was not addressed with the latest fix. A front panel reset usually fixes it for a while. Had the sane thing happen to our unit twice prior to the latest download. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next one. We have had no major problems since the download.
Lester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.