Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion

134K views 539 replies 120 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Starting the morning of Wednesday February 16, HDDSR 605 and HDPVR 630 receivers will begin to be updated from Current Version 00.13 to 04.06.

The overall usage and look/feel of the system is unchanged with this download. 04.06 includes a few new and updated features along with providing a more consistent and reliable experience.

We’ve prepared some FAQ and detailed information on this update.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting the afternoon of February 15. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming days.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, with one exception:
- If upgrading from version 00.10, Channel Locks and Favourites lists will not migrate. Refrain from setting these until after the download.

After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.

What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
  • Tuning Rebuild – Audio/video are now presented much faster when turning on the receiver, changing channels, or stopping PVR playback. Tuner lockup/phantom recordings have been eliminated.
  • HDD Space Remaining – In response to your feedback, we’ve added the disk remaining bar to the PVR List and PVR/Upcoming menus. The bar has been made more compact and is now colour coded depending on how full your hard drive is.
  • Parental Controls – The experience with Parental Controls enabled should be more stable, with occurrences of the “false PIN” screen reduced and no more “No Data” blocks for programs that cross the GMT boundary.
  • Guide changes – Channel lineup changes (like new channels being launched) will now appear within 60 minutes, or immediately by turning the receiver off and back on. A Front Panel Reset should no longer be required to fix missing or duplicated channels in your Guide.
  • LIVE and 3D programs now have an icon in the Guide. “Live” programs will now be included when selecting “Record new episodes”. Note that these icons do not appear in the full-screen INFO pages.
  • Search Enhancements – Interests Search genres are now sorted in correct alphabetical order when the language is set to French; Programs beginning with accented characters are no longer grouped at the bottom of the results list; and programs with accented characters can now be properly searched.
  • Tune in Satellite Signal – The OPTIONS 4-3-1 menu now provides signal level from both tuners, an indication of signal strength, satellite, modulation, and transponder ID for both tuners. If no background recording is taking place, some values will not be available. This menu is primarily for self installation/dish alignment and advanced troubleshooting. Audio will be lost when exiting the menu, change channels to resolve.

See less See more
#97 ·
Got mine last night.:p One area that has some improvements is with the "music" section. One can now directly type in a channel number and go to that channel. But...With the 5xx series one could toggle between show track info or not. Showing would give a brief display then fade to black. The 630 seems to keep the track info on permanently.
There does seem to be a considerable increase in response time as well when using the remote.

#99 ·
Got mine last night.:p One area that has some improvements is with the "music" section. One can now directly type in a channel number and go to that channel. But...With the 5xx series one could toggle between show track info or not. Showing would give a brief display then fade to black. The 630 seems to keep the track info on permanently.
You've always been able to punch in the channel number directly for the music channels and the info box has always stayed on screen. There has been discussion on here on how to try and get rid of the info box but I guess that hasn't been fixed yet.

#101 ·
Targeted and downloading

I called to add on some programming today and asked to be targeted. It didn't work when the csr (very nice customer service BTW) hit the 630, but it worked to activate PPVs ordering. I left for a couple of hours and I see now I'm targeted. I've started the download.

#102 ·
been reading here for months since i got the 630...have had nothing but problems since day one....wife got that ticked off at how it worked i had to put it in the bedroom and put my 530 in the main viewing room...just did a forced update but the guide would not populate so i did a soft reset and am waiting for it to load now.....hopefully i can return it to the main room....after reading all the problems the 630 had i kept the 530 just in case...as for the 530 i have only had 2 or 3 minor issues in the last 2 years ...heres hoping the 630 is useable for the whole family now

#103 ·
Got the update installed. Channel surfing has become much faster. I love it. After it was all installed decided to do a factory reset and wipe everything out and reprogram everything. Start over nice and fresh. Now hopefully I can enjoy the PVR without it rebooting all the time.

#105 ·
Problem still exists.
Well, when you come out of watching a recorded show, it may or may not highlight the the show you were just watching depending on background activity. too bad, not terrible.

I did see some pixelation though:( watching TSN2HD

I noticed now the alternate receiver when viewing signal quality shows channel 0 (nothing was recording). The receivers still seem to toggle when changing channels and the first receiver toggles to 0. I wonder if this was an attempt to combat pixelation. If so, didn't really work. I was worried when the 1st post never really addressed pixelation. Now, it has been getting better, but I never noticed it on the 530. Only TSN2HD so far. No other HD and no SD channels. I will keep tabs on where and what is happening if I see it again. Both tuners are showing well above 90. I have not done any resets yet, so I will do that.

So.... when is the next update due?

#107 ·
I hit <Help>, which I presume is the one at the bottom right of the Shaw Direct remote, then <C>, which I presume is the yellow button in the centre of the remote, and nothing happens. Would you please clarify, SatMonkey? Which remote are you using? Thanks!

#112 ·
Channel changing

Haven't had time to put it through its paces but I am amazed at the short time required to tune after changing channels. Nice!

The new space remaining indicator, as mentioned, needs to be changed.

This is definitely an improvement ... much more responsive.

#113 ·
video locked up

watching a show off the pvr and the video froze, could not excess the menu or options or anything. i could turn the receiver on and off and the sound came back but no picture. i had far less problem before this update. it is more responsive now but other then that it still needs much work. i do not know who test the firmware but they must not watch much Tv.as this is far from being ready for prime time(as they said).

#114 ·
I actually find the last bit of your statment to be interesting in regards to the testers. If you look at video game world, the testers really have no say on when a product is shipped or launched. In this case, they do what they can to break it and submit any issues they find to the developers. They really have no say in when the product is launched further than saying they don't think it's ready. If the marketing/business side of things decide otherwise, then there really isn't much that the testers can do about it.

#116 ·
Downloaded my update Sunday afternoon - about 25 minutes in total.

Since I was not experiencing many of the problems that other posters had reported, I was most pleased to see that the 'shrunken screen' when closing a SD PVR recording while watching a HD channel seems to have been fixed.

However....my ongoing problems with Fast Forwarding in PVR mode continue.

While watching a movie that I had recorded on PVR... fast forwarding through commercial breaks....
One push of the ff button works fine, albeit slowly.
Two pushes? It becomes iffy.
Sometimes you can scan through the commercial break without incident. However on Sunday while ffing through a break, the screen went black. Pressed the 'play' button and everything returned to normal. Pressed the fast-forward button once... then again....to get through the rest of the break... screen went black again.
This time, 'play' did not allow playback of the program to resume. So I hit 'stop" which brought up the on-screen error message regarding compatibility problems (the movie I was watching was SD, the background channel was HD).
So I changed channels to get rid of the error message (bringing both tuners to HD channels), and then back.
No audio on the HD channel that was broadcasting.
Changed channels again, down and back, and audio resumed on the HD channel that was selected for viewing.
I resumed watching the rest of my movie on PVR, however the progress bar would not come up at any point in time. When the movie was over, I had to do a reset to get the progress bar to come back up.

Hoping this can be fixed on the next update. It's an intermittent problem, and it can be avoided by using the other controls to jump ahead in 30 second increments.

#120 ·
Absolute Skip

Hi meandher57,

Is there a reason you don't use the Absolute Skip feature? It's one of my favourite 630 features, especially compared to other HDPVRs.

Just hit [2][SKIP FWD] and you'll jump ahead 2 minutes. For the vast majority of programs, it just takes an extra Skip Forward or Skip Back to get to exactly where you want. I find it much quicker than using FFWD.

We're still looking into this one, because it really hasn't come up much during any of the Trials!

#121 ·
Well basically because I am never sure how long the commercial break is... or if the show resumes right after the opening credits...

FF allows me to scan the commercial break, just in case there is something of interest in there. Like a movie trailer or something that actually provides valuable information.

The 30 second skip ahead doesn't cause any issues...but I inevitably end up 29 seconds into the show once it resumes, and have to skip back again.

This is NOT a new issue with the latest update. I have reported it in the past, but hoped that it would go away. Nor is it a constantly recurring problem, but I have yet to figure out what triggers it when it DOES happen.

#122 ·
4,7 screen

I received the new firmware update last night and I notice on the 4,7 screen that it doesn't show the last channel watched and that only one tuner says it authorized(the one your currently on)and the authorization on the other tuner(last channel watched) shows n/a. Is this normal? Both tuners are showing a high signal strength and I have not had any problems watching one channel and recording another.
Ty

#123 ·
I received the new firmware update last night and I notice on the 4,7 screen that it doesn't show the last channel watched and that only one tuner says it authorized(the one your currently on)and the authorization on the other tuner(last channel watched) shows n/a. Is this normal?
Yes. This is a result of the tuning changes. The background tuner will no longer show this information unless a background recording is taking place.

The signal and Ecb/no reading are still live from the background tuner.

#124 ·
something else i noticed, has anyone else?- was recording two shows last night, one show had the red record light on, the 2nd tuner did not. first show ended and red light went off, 2nd show continued to record and light never came on, although the show did record successfully.

#127 ·
something else i noticed last night when watching ncis la- it was sim-subbed from global as it had the global icon in the bottom right corner. up until this point it was always picking up the direct cbs feed. could the firmware have changed something that the 630 is now picking up simsubbing for shows on multiple channels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.