Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion

134K views 539 replies 120 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Starting the morning of Wednesday February 16, HDDSR 605 and HDPVR 630 receivers will begin to be updated from Current Version 00.13 to 04.06.

The overall usage and look/feel of the system is unchanged with this download. 04.06 includes a few new and updated features along with providing a more consistent and reliable experience.

We’ve prepared some FAQ and detailed information on this update.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting the afternoon of February 15. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming days.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, with one exception:
- If upgrading from version 00.10, Channel Locks and Favourites lists will not migrate. Refrain from setting these until after the download.

After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.

What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
  • Tuning Rebuild – Audio/video are now presented much faster when turning on the receiver, changing channels, or stopping PVR playback. Tuner lockup/phantom recordings have been eliminated.
  • HDD Space Remaining – In response to your feedback, we’ve added the disk remaining bar to the PVR List and PVR/Upcoming menus. The bar has been made more compact and is now colour coded depending on how full your hard drive is.
  • Parental Controls – The experience with Parental Controls enabled should be more stable, with occurrences of the “false PIN” screen reduced and no more “No Data” blocks for programs that cross the GMT boundary.
  • Guide changes – Channel lineup changes (like new channels being launched) will now appear within 60 minutes, or immediately by turning the receiver off and back on. A Front Panel Reset should no longer be required to fix missing or duplicated channels in your Guide.
  • LIVE and 3D programs now have an icon in the Guide. “Live” programs will now be included when selecting “Record new episodes”. Note that these icons do not appear in the full-screen INFO pages.
  • Search Enhancements – Interests Search genres are now sorted in correct alphabetical order when the language is set to French; Programs beginning with accented characters are no longer grouped at the bottom of the results list; and programs with accented characters can now be properly searched.
  • Tune in Satellite Signal – The OPTIONS 4-3-1 menu now provides signal level from both tuners, an indication of signal strength, satellite, modulation, and transponder ID for both tuners. If no background recording is taking place, some values will not be available. This menu is primarily for self installation/dish alignment and advanced troubleshooting. Audio will be lost when exiting the menu, change channels to resolve.

See less See more
#39 ·
Good post by zbroke, as a potential shaw direct future customer I am waiting for the kinks to be ironed out yet and his post showed what still needs to be addressed.

I can imagine pixelization issue might be difficult and take some time, however that is a big issue. I want to switch to shaw direct for picture quality and pixelization is a very serious problem.

With regards to the other skip ahead problems, those should be easily fixed and seem to be overlooked. Its part of any working pvr technology that has been around for years.

Still good to see there is progress.

#41 ·
No... hold off on the restetting of your timers...

Go back and read the original post by SD630Support- he outlined the process for the receiver to reload thsoe timers.

#42 ·
I agree with HOWIEDOIN

The external hard drive should be spoken of.Before I purchased the 630 I called SD and was told the 630 has the external hard drive feature.They lied. After I activated it in September 2010 they told me no ext hard drive now but will get upgrade by end of Sept , will give ext hard drive feature. Since then I was given several dates by SD CSRs for the ext HD upgrade none of which happened.Now SD support won't speak of it. I suspect marketing is the real culprit here.They make the promises,then dump it on support to keep the promises. If support succeeds, marketing gets the credit but if support cannot support get the blame. The ext hard drive for me is a must.The technology is out there,so get it, tell us the truth. Good luck SD Support.

#49 ·
My 630 was acting up all day yesterday, and I never thought of a update being the cause.

It "attempted" a recording at 9am (Feb 16th) but it resulted in a tuner freeze. The little red REC1 light was on all day. But I didn't notice until 4:50pm that it was on when it shouldn't have been.

At that point, I did my usual...unplug. The same thing I do on a very regular basis. Then I notices my "Upcoming" Recording list was blank. Going into the "Options" list I changed a few priories and the new list finally re-populated. This resulted in missed recordings throughout the night, frustration, and...the unit reset itself a few times during the "scheduling priories" function.

Hopefully it works well tonight. I will check to see if the firmware was updated, and is the culprit for the mess up and it has been resolved. I really don't want to get ANOTHER replacement!

Does anyone know if this issue was addressed: When coming out of a recording, your screen goes into the little corner view on the left. The rest of the screen being blue. It fixes itself when you press any button on the remote - its more of an annoyance than anything!

#54 ·
What a difference

I have 2 630's and have the update on one of them. It is very responsive, I can't freeze it up and it is very responsive. I have not encountered pixilation which was prominent before. I hope the update comes for my other one soon as it is in our media room.

#56 ·
Hello SD 630 support,
Just wondering why the "gradual roll-out" of the update .There can't be that many 605's and 630's out there.
My 630 has missed many recordings over the last few days,and some are in the list and just won't play.
BTW,If the receiver is not targeted by friday,does that mean next week for the update?

#59 ·
JMHO, gradual roll out in the field makes sense if something unforeseen goes terribly wrong. You would not want to incapacitate every receiver at once if that ever happens. It's better to start slowly and if everything is right, then you can pick up the pace.

#62 ·
I pre-ordered mine and got it when it was out but I still didnt get the update.
I really hope to get it soon.
Everytime I watch a recorded show after a few minutes it either stops playing and goes back to live or it reboots.
The hard disk is not healthy with all these reboots and failing recordings.
Im sure a clean format would bring back the unit to health but I have too many recordings on it to lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.