Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion

134K views 539 replies 120 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Starting the morning of Wednesday February 16, HDDSR 605 and HDPVR 630 receivers will begin to be updated from Current Version 00.13 to 04.06.

The overall usage and look/feel of the system is unchanged with this download. 04.06 includes a few new and updated features along with providing a more consistent and reliable experience.

We’ve prepared some FAQ and detailed information on this update.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting the afternoon of February 15. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming days.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, with one exception:
- If upgrading from version 00.10, Channel Locks and Favourites lists will not migrate. Refrain from setting these until after the download.

After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.

What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
  • Tuning Rebuild – Audio/video are now presented much faster when turning on the receiver, changing channels, or stopping PVR playback. Tuner lockup/phantom recordings have been eliminated.
  • HDD Space Remaining – In response to your feedback, we’ve added the disk remaining bar to the PVR List and PVR/Upcoming menus. The bar has been made more compact and is now colour coded depending on how full your hard drive is.
  • Parental Controls – The experience with Parental Controls enabled should be more stable, with occurrences of the “false PIN” screen reduced and no more “No Data” blocks for programs that cross the GMT boundary.
  • Guide changes – Channel lineup changes (like new channels being launched) will now appear within 60 minutes, or immediately by turning the receiver off and back on. A Front Panel Reset should no longer be required to fix missing or duplicated channels in your Guide.
  • LIVE and 3D programs now have an icon in the Guide. “Live” programs will now be included when selecting “Record new episodes”. Note that these icons do not appear in the full-screen INFO pages.
  • Search Enhancements – Interests Search genres are now sorted in correct alphabetical order when the language is set to French; Programs beginning with accented characters are no longer grouped at the bottom of the results list; and programs with accented characters can now be properly searched.
  • Tune in Satellite Signal – The OPTIONS 4-3-1 menu now provides signal level from both tuners, an indication of signal strength, satellite, modulation, and transponder ID for both tuners. If no background recording is taking place, some values will not be available. This menu is primarily for self installation/dish alignment and advanced troubleshooting. Audio will be lost when exiting the menu, change channels to resolve.

See less See more
#2 ·
Technical Notes

Technical Notes

Deleting recordings created on the live display channel
Recordings created on the channel you are currently watching cannot be deleted until one of the following occurs:
1) You change channels once. The recording can now be deleted.
2) You start playback of the recording, and then stop playback. The recording can now be deleted.
3) You wait for the subsequent LOD session to be created. The recording can now be deleted.​
This only affects recordings created on the live display channel.

Audio Delay when changing channels
Having “Digital Audio” set to “PCM” instead of “Dolby Digital” will cause a 4-5 second delay in audio each time channels are changed. This setting can be adjusted in OPTIONS 4-2.

LOD Program Transitions
When transitioning from the PREVIOUS to the CURRENT LOD session, playback may resume near the “live” position rather than the start of the current program. Use Absolute Jump to quickly jump back to the start of the current program:
Simply press [0], [PLAY] to jump to the start of the current LOD session.​
You can also skip back or rewind to get to the desired position.

#8 ·
SD_630, thanks for the info.

A few quick questions if I may?

Will the better tuner management solve the pixelization issue?

Are there other minor bugs reported here that have been fixed and not disclaimed in your posts such as:

- Skip forward sometime acting as skip backwards
- Skip fwd sometimes bring your right back to the start of the program

Thanks in advance

#22 ·
Will the better tuner management solve the pixelization issue?
It's possible that it may be resolved under some circumstances, but we've still seen it under 04.06. We'd refer you to this post on the current workarounds. This is still being worked on.

- Skip forward sometime acting as skip backwards
This still exists, where it'll sometimes move back 4-5 seconds the first time it's used. Simply press SKIP FWD again to move forward.

- Skip fwd sometimes bring your right back to the start of the program
No one was ever able to reproduce this one reliably in order to figure out what's causing it. That said, we haven't seen it in the last few releases so fingers are crossed that it's been resolved as a by-product of other changes.

#9 ·
Good news, I'm a new customer with a 630. Migrated from two Bell pvrs (5800 & 5900) to Shaw because of Bell's internet UBB plans for wholesale ISP's. My 630 just crashed and rebooted while viewing the guide. Every time this happened so far was when I'm viewing the guide. I've had to resort to my DTVPal to view my wife's show while the 630 pvr rebooted.

#10 ·
OK good news but....

"After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.
"

What do you do if you are 1000 miles away for awhile?? "simply...." Yeah sure! :)

#13 ·
It took them 5 months for the first update, I would not hold your breath for this or network options.

There was no metion of fixing the reboot issue which is probably the biggest issue of all...:confused: Hopefully it is fixed and they just did not want to admit there was a problem to the public.

#19 ·
Correct. Reboots are no longer seen in automated stress testing, bench testing, or the Field Trial.

The system will still reboot automatically (to keep you from having to get off the couch to Front Panel reset it) if an error is detected. As with all software, I'm sure there are still ways to "crash" it and get it to reboot. If you find such a way, my advice is to let us know and then stop doing that.

For those seeing instability immediately following the download, remember that the receiver is like a computer. When you first log into Windows, your computer usually runs at its slowest. It's starting processes, installing updates, verifying files, etc. If you hammer on it during this time, it's usually pretty easy to lock it up.

Give the receiver a chance to complete the post-upgrade migration and file and database verification. It's also reloading Guide data at the same time, adding to the load. The same goes immediately following a reboot.

Beyond this, if you're still having problems, we're now in a position to look beyond the software as the cause of the issue. We'd initiate troubleshooting and run through everything to try and find the source of the issue and get it resolved for you.

#24 ·
Will you be able to have more than 50 PVR recordings set or is that still a limitation?
There hasn't ever been a hard-coded limit. Given all the changes, you should not have any issue going over 50 Recording Events.

As always, keeping your PVR/Options menu up-to-date by clearing out old shows you no longer want to record or that are no longer airing will result in best performance. (For example, I just went through and cleared out The Amazing Race 17, Survivor: Nicaragua, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, etc.).

#23 ·
What about the issue with the video window shrinking to the corner when there is a discrepancy between the format of the show you have been watching on PVR, and the channel you are currently tuned to (HD/SD)?? Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Has that been addressed in this update?

Is external HD recording still in the works?

Thanks for all your help and patience in reading and replying to this forum.

#26 ·
What about the issue with the video window shrinking to the corner when there is a discrepancy between the format of the show you have been watching on PVR, and the channel you are currently tuned to (HD/SD)?? Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Has that been addressed in this update?
Yes. That was caused by having the 4x3 Override enabled, and playing back a recording in the "opposite" format to the live display channel.

It's been resolved. Some users may still prefer to turn off the 4x3 Override all together and just use the ASPECT button to control the picture. Some visual inconsistencies related to this functionality have also been fixed.

Is external HD recording still in the works?
Unfortunately, we can't speak to possible future development activities.

#25 ·
Good to hear.

I recall you saying memory (or the way memory was being used) was an issue wth the amount of PVR recordings you can have (and still run smoothly).

I assume the memory allocation is updated to be more efficient? Also, is there the possibility of adding more memory in the future to these PVR's if it turns out that physical memory is the rot of the problem?

#29 ·
Here is a known problem

What about coming out of a recorded show and NOT landing on that show in the list of shows because another show started recording which changed the list count. This caused potential for deleting wrong recording, thinking that you would want to delete show you just finished watching.

This whole firmware upgrade is still a rumour until I see a target update on my machine:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.