Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread

194K views 349 replies 109 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 when it becomes available on November 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our DSR 605 now available thread.

Please note posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

#149 ·
Short answer - don't hold your breath.

Longer answer - Shaw Cable first acknowledged publicly plans to add external storage options to their Motorola DCT's in a July 2006 radio interview with Peter Bissonette at which time he expected the feature to arrive in 2007. This ability materialized in September 2009.

In 2011, Shaw Direct delivers new Motorola receivers without the ability to connect external storage... see Short Answer.

#152 ·
605 Powering On

I've had my 605 for a couple days, and already I've noticed that it won't remain turned-off. I'll shut down all my entertainment system components completely, but when I walk back in the room an hour later my 605 will be back on.

My 505 didn't have that problem, and my other components don't arbitrary turn-on.

Is there other possible causes, or should I be calling Shaw Direct for a replacement? I hate sending it back for a trivial thing, but I'm always worried that a trivial thing indicates a defective box that will have a more serious problem later.

#156 ·
Okay... so if this is the culprit, then that means both receivers have the same remote code and therefore both remotes are programmed the same. Right?

So... I need to go into my 505 system settings and change the remote code, and then change my 505 remote control to match the new code.

I knew I could reprogram the remote controls, but I didn't know I could reprogram the receiver itself.

#159 ·
You need to follow the directions that came with the remote (ie IRC/URC 550). The instructions on the 505 receiver remote address screen are to be disregarded.

For the 550 series remote:
1. In this order, press and hold the [mute] button then the [enter/ok] button. Hold BOTH buttons down TOGETHER until the mode buttons illuminate in rotation. Release both buttons as soon as the mode buttons illuminate.
2. Enter any one of the following addresses 000, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007Entry of the 3 digit of each address stores the address automatically and cause the mode buttons to blink and go out.
3. Pres the [enter/ok] buttons to set the same address in your receiver. The new address will be displayed on the screen.
4. Exit

#161 ·
Well.. the instructions worked, but it didn't fix my problem. Yes, the 505 remote no longer interacts with the 605 but my 605 is still randomly turning itself on!

Because I have one unified remote for all my components, the 505 remote (now confirmed not the problem) is the only other remote in the house. The other remotes that came with my various components are battery-less and stored in a drawer.

[Okay... technically I have my garage door remote, but I actually brought it in the house to test to see if it effected the 605!]

So back to my original question. Is this a defective 605, or are there other things in a home that can trigger a 'power on'?

#165 ·
NOTE that for the 605 remotes, there are two (three listed) different manuals available: 600 IRC/URC and 600 IR/RF. Instructions are different for different things. For example, adding an AUX device to the remote is completely incorrectly written in the version for the IR remote.

#166 ·
The instructions from jbracing24 worked just fine on the 605. Thanks! So far so good... I've gone all day without the 605 turning itself on :)

Still... weird that SOMETHING in my house was influencing it :confused:

Next problem with the 605. It doesn't have have s-video out, but my DVR only has s-video in. I could go RCA-to-RCA, but the RCA out on the 605 doesn't seem to output in widescreen (it squishes the picture to 4:3).

So I need to use component out on the 605, and I actually have a component to s-video cable. BUT, the s-video on the cable is 7-pin while the DVR is 4-pin.

Anyone know if...

1. A component to 4-pin s-video cable exists?
2. A 7-pin to 4-pin adapter exists?
3. I can just remove 3 of the 7 pins with pliers to make it fit?

Thanks

#167 ·
weird that SOMETHING in my house was influencing it
Not necessarily. It could be a neighbor who subscribes to Shaw Direct and uses the default remote address that you were using.

If you are using RCA to record then change the TV settings to stretch the picture of your recorder while viewing. SD video is always 4:3, so to fill the screen, use a stretch mode setting on the TV. I would stick with this approach.

#168 ·
drjohnnyfever, nothing exists as a cable that you want.

S-video is only 4 pins, luma, chroma, and two grounds. A cable won;t work becasue the signal is different.

That 7 pin cable is a breakout cable for a graphice card, which can make component. It will do no good for you.

You need to revert down to composite for the DVR, or get a component to S-video converter box, which actively make converts component to s-video (or more accurately, modulates the cR And cB signals onto a 3.58 Mhz chroma carrier).

#169 ·
I have a DSRHD 600 & 605

Hi there,
I just used the upgrade offer for Centre Ice subscribers and I got a HDDSR 600 and 605. They are great, very cheap efficient way to get HD in my bedrooms. I just had a quick question.

On my old HD box and DSR 209, while on a channel I could click the 'OK' button to get the on screen menu to come up to show me what I am currently watching. I could then click '<, left' or '>, right' to see what is coming on next on the channel that I am currently watching.

With the 600 and 605 I can no longer do this. I have to go to the guide to look and see. I know this isn't a big issue. I was just wondering if this is intended or is it a known bug?

Thanks for any replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.