Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread

194K views 349 replies 109 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 when it becomes available on November 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our DSR 605 now available thread.

Please note posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

#91 ·
605 TIMER functionality

I have a 505 with TV #1 and bought the 605 with for the 2nd TV thinking that it was an upgraded 505 box. I like the small footprint, the 14 day program view, the search function and the HDMI cable connection. After getting more familiar with the 605 I am thinking that it is a gutted 630 box and NOT an improved 505.
My main issue is the missing TIMER function from the 505, which was easy to access and set up for individual and recurring programs, daily, weekdays or specific days. Since there is no recording function, the 505 TIMER design is a must for the 605 box
I would like to know if Shaw will reconsider bringing that functionality back – hopefully by popular demand!
There are also numerous design issues in the new 605 MenuBar, that I would be happy to specify, to make it more User friendly and efficient.

#92 ·
Hi,

Looks like 4.06 didn't fix the reboot issue.

I've been playing around, and this is what I found. First, the reciever must be on for awhile before this will happen. If you turn on the reciever and attempt to re-create the problem right away it will not happen. After leaving mine on all day, when I switch favorites lists and then start scrolling the guide, the reciever will reboot. As it is rebooting, a little orange line will scroll right and left on the display, then turn to "1080". When it finally comes back on, the guide is empty for about 5 minutes. It is happening on both 605 recievers.

Hopefully the next firmware will fix the problem.

Thanks

Rosy_55

#94 ·
Is there an easy way to add sports programming by team to the PVR list?

I have tried it through the search menu as well as the one that lets you select programming by category but it does not really work that way since you can't select what channel to record the program on (no need to record the same hockey game in SD and HD).
The search list also shows the "fake" programs on Sportsnet Vancouver with the title "Vancouver Canucks at * March 20 10pm EST"

Would be nice if one could do something like this:

Record everything with the title "Vancouver Canucks at *" & "* at Vancouver Canucks" on CBCHD, Sportsnet Pacific HD, Sportsnet Vancouver HD, TSN HD

#99 ·
The only problem with this is if the NBR tries to optimize the scheduling you may have set your VCR to a valid time to record but the STB has now selected another showing of a program. The 605 I believe needs a basic/classic/505 timer feature to ensure that it is sync with an external recording device. It is then incumbent upon the end user to ensure that the two devices are get in sync.

Unless you (SD) are going to be adding a low cost external storage device than this classic feature needs to be added. Even then some might opt not to go with an external device.

You may think that this configuration is a good idea but in my opinion it cripples this unit.

#100 ·
In Post 93, SD 630 Support writes...
Hi Deeival,

Great suggestion. It's not currently possible but definitely something we can look at for the future.

Thanks!

End quote.

Just great. . .someone asks for a feature to find a sports event and you jump!

Just about everyone with a 605 has asked for an autoswitch daily or autoswitch every occurrence and we get no reaction.

How about giving us the basic functions we all want and need first.

John

#103 ·
Not the right thought.

I use multiple favorites lists, and cannot see any problems related to that function. Just the normal, odd reboot (maybe once a week). It's not perfect, but for me, better than all the alternatives. (I lived through the 530 experience.)

#104 ·
The problem with the favorites list is when you go back to the "all channels" list, the receivers will reboot some of the time now. Before the 4.06 update they would reboot every single time for me. There is no doubt this is a problem that still needs to be resolved.

#106 ·
There is no doubt this is a problem that still needs to be resolved.
Agreed. It's been replicated in the lab (as noted, it's not consistent) and is being investigated. If we hear of any details on workarounds or otherwise, I'll let you know!

For everyone who uses Favourites consistently:
As we look to future functionality related to Favourites lists, I'm curious as to how they're used in your household today. Do you have custom favourites lists for each family member? Are multiple lists used to narrow down to a genre of channels (e.g. Movies, Sports, HD, etc). Understanding how they're being used today helps guide our future development activities.

#108 ·
We have three favourite lists.

The first is a big one. It has all our subscribed channels except a few bundled channels that we don't ever watch (eg Shopping network and legislature). The main difference between this and 'all subscribed' is that it also eliminates all the PPV and promo stuff.

The second is a small group of the wife's favs.

The third group is a selection of news and financial channels.

John

#109 ·
question re SD 605's on Cogeco cable?

I was told buy a salesperson at Cogeco that SD's Motorola 505's could be 're-flashed' to work on Cogeco cable- is this true?

I ask this here because my inlaws have Shaw Direct and are moving to a Cogeco house- they dont want to have to buy new boxes... I was shocked to hear that this was possible- anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers

#112 · (Edited)
DSR605 Inputs

I have a CSHP80G Symphonic DVR. It has one input only which is an AVI. I cannot get a signal from my DSR605 Shaw Direct into the DVR. Is this because of HDCP or does anybody else have any insight as to what is happening. Sometimes when I switch to this AVI input, the picture will appear for about two seconds and then disappear and I receive the "No Signal" prompt on my TV screen. I can play DVD's and also playback already recorded video and all is OK which shows me that the cables between the DVR and the TV are OK. I have tried different cables between the DSR605 and the DVR but it does not help.

#113 ·
QCK- actually I did mean 505- but that point is academic now. After my own disbelief, and questioning of three Cogeco CSR's I reluctantly accepted their statement that the SD Motorola boxes could be reflashed. Then I posted here and received several adamant replies that this was not possible. So I fired off an email to Cogeco tech support who replied, fairly quickly, that their CSR's obvioulsy were thinking of the Shaw cable boxes and not the ShawDirect boxes.

Oh well- I guess my inlaws will have to purchase the Cogeco receivers after all.

#115 ·
Controlling the DSR605 with an IR remote

I just ordered a unit, but then I noticed the "UHF" feature for the remote. I'm now concerned that I will not be able to control the unit with a third-party IR system.

In fact, I want to use an IR blaster from an Hauppauge HD-PVR to control the unit. Will this work?

If not, are there any third-party UHF transmitters I can control from LIRC (and, presumably, teach -- I have not seen any LIRC configuration files for the 605 or 630).

#120 ·
I just ordered a unit, but then I noticed the "UHF" feature for the remote. I'm now concerned that I will not be able to control the unit with a third-party IR system.

In fact, I want to use an IR blaster from an Hauppauge HD-PVR to control the unit. Will this work?

If not, are there any third-party UHF transmitters I can control from LIRC (and, presumably, teach -- I have not seen any LIRC configuration files for the 605 or 630).
I can confirm that my HD-PVR can control my 605 using LIRC!

It was easier than I thought - it's code 1_159 in the blaster config file. I removed the other entries and renamed each item from, say, "1_159_KEY0" to "0". Done like dinner.

#118 ·
My IR Harmony remote works perfectly.

Another bug that is is very irritating... The 630 just shows a black screen and may be completely unresponsive when turned on. A front panel reset is required. This may be caused by the receiver being left on the interactive weather channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.