Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread

194K views 349 replies 109 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 when it becomes available on November 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our DSR 605 now available thread.

Please note posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

#62 ·
I have one minor issue with both the 605 and 630. I've had to do soft reboots to restore access to the odd channel. Once the channel disappears from the guide, even keying in the channel won't work. Out of the blue, both units did it a few days ago - but on different channels. The 630 lost BBC Canada and the 605 lost one of the network feeds in the upper 300 range (old mapping). Hope this doesn't happen too often, it's already happened before to the 630.

#63 ·
Many users have the same problem including myself. This is a known issue, we are all just waiting paitently for an update that resolves this and other issues. The 605 and 630 are based on the same software and the 630 receiver came out in September, and it is February now...

#65 ·
Pixelization

Sorry if I'm not posting in the right forum but I recently signed up to Shaw Direct and have two 605 receivers. Unfortunately I am not happy with the picture quality. The picture becomes very pixelated on fast moving scenes, it is quite noticeable on TSN, when logos fly in, sports events fast camera movements etc. This pixelization is happening on both recievers, both TV's. I run both through HDMI. Is this normal with Shaw, I keep reading that the Shaw signal is very clear, way better than Bell but I am not seeing it. Not on 1080i or 720p.

I used to be on Bell and partcularly TSN was always very sharp.

Help would be appreciated.

#67 · (Edited by Moderator)
DSR605 No HDMI Audio

Have no audio on the DSR605 on the HDMI output while tuning the signal. Tried another HDMI cable and still no audio. There is audio, the steady tone, when using the analog outputs. Have a green bar and have not activated the receiver.

The HDMI audio of the TV does work with a different brand satellite receiver. Is this normal for a Shaw receiver or is the HDMI defective?

#69 ·
I have the same probleme of gkvarga.
And my Ecb/No is 6.8..

I have the new 605 too, and before that i was with rogers, and not make that on my Panasonic TV.

I'm not very happy with the quality picture pixelated a lot with Shaw.
Not make a month i'm with Shaw..

gkvarga is the first one i fount on internet with the probleme as me.

Sorry if my english is not very good, i'm french..

Hope you can help me a bit with that

#76 ·
hi i just bought a Sony xe4 46'' hdtv set connected to a 605 trough HDMI
it seems to me that the 605 have an handshake problem with the tv set
as i must disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on the back of the receiver to get the image pass trough everytime i power on the tv
anyone else having this problem
nevermind
problem fixed
I am having the same problem as your were Gretzky. How did you fix it?

#77 ·
505 vs 605

Just got the 605, will keep the 505 for 2nd TV. Have received the update to 04.06. There is only one problem that I have: when changing channels with the controller by entering on the number pad, the screen will go blank, at times. Then I have to power off/on to get over that. Any thoughts on why that happens?

#79 ·
I think SD 630 support has mentioned that 1080i is the prefered setting
Correct. You'll have 3 settings in OPTIONS 4-5.

Output Format determines the primary resolution that is used to send video to your TV. On most HDTVs, 1080i is optimal. Using the "HDMI" Output Format is not recommended.

4X3 OVERRIDE: Turning this on will “override” the primary output format when tuned to standard definition stations. Turning on the override allows most TVs to automatically stretch SD content to fill the whole screen. If you’d prefer to control this yourself using the ASPECT button, leave it Off.

TV Type should stay at 16x9, unless you're connected to a SDTV.

#81 ·
Hi,

We just got Shaw Direct with 2 HDDSR 605 recievers and are having a problem with both recievers randomly rebooting. It happens most when using the guide while selecting a channel, or after updating a favorites list. The unit will power itself off for about 10 seconds, then power back on. While powering back on "1080" is displayed on the front. Once it finally comes back on, the guide information is blank for about 5 minutes. This is happening on both units. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rosy_55

#84 ·
We have the same problem. The 605 locks up and reboots if you change the 'fav' then go to guide and scroll up/down. It happened under the old release and under 4.06. No improvement. It looks like a memory management problem.

The other bug - a sudden switch to another channel - still happens, and so do occasional sudden reboots without us even touching the remote.

Since the 4.06 'upgrade'. now when we want to set a reminder or auto-switch timer event, it now takes a lot longer (45 to 50 seconds) to save (used to be under 10 seconds under the previous software).

So far, the 4.06 performs worse than the original version as I see no improvement on the bugs and now a new annoyance.

John

#85 ·
Hi John,

I just tried to reproduce the reboot using the steps you described and I can't - I've been in and out of a favourites list nearly 10 times (going into the Guide and scrolling around afterwards) without any issues.
How many Favourites Lists do you have set?
How many channels are in each one?
Do you change the list directly in the Guide (using the OPTIONS button) or by pressing FAV, and then going back to the Guide?

With respect to the longer replan time, how many Reminder Events do you have in Reminders/Options at any given time? No one has reported this before, so we're interested in finding out more details.

#86 ·
As for the Favourites, it has always been a problem. With the new software it is better but the reboot does still happen sometimes.

SD 630 Support, just set up one Favourite list with half the channels available. Leave the receiver in this list for 6-12 hours and then go back to the all channels list. Before with the old software the reciever would almost always reboot, with the new software for me it happens about 1/3 of the time now.

#87 · (Edited by Moderator)
605 sound issues

Hi everyone,
I just replaced my 505 and a couple of SD receivers...with 3 - 605's
One is connected HDMI
One is connected Component
One is connected Composite

The HDMI and Composite connections seem to have a peculiar sound issue.
When changing channels, the sound is delayed.
On the composite it generally takes 5 seconds to kick in.
On the HDMI it can be totally gone for up to a minute.
On the HDMI I have found that if I turn the receiver off then back on, it will force the sound on.
Signal levels are all over 90 on all receivers.

Is there something I'm missing in the options?

Anyone else experiencing this sound issue?

tia

#89 ·
When changing channels, the sound is delayed.
Hi basicbill,

Two settings to check:

1) OPTIONS 4-5 (Video Settings). Ensure that "Output Format" is not set to HDMI. Use 1080i instead.

2) OPTIONS 4-2 (Audio Settings). Ensure that "Digital Audio" is not set to PCM. It needs to be on Dolby Digital.

For the receiver connected via HDMI, change "HDMI Audio" to PCM instead of Auto and see if that makes a difference for you.

#88 · (Edited)
SD 630 asks

How many Favourites Lists do you have set?

three named lists.

How many channels are in each one?

"Ours' - a lot. It is all our subscribed channels except for about a dozen that we never watch and it also eliminates scrolling through the PPV and promo channels.

The other two are small lists.

Do you change the list directly in the Guide (using the OPTIONS button) or by pressing FAV, and then going back to the Guide?

Usually we hit FAV, The problem happens when going from a small list to the big one. But has also happened going from a FAV to ALL Channels. Happens with old release and new one.

With respect to the longer replan time, how many Reminder Events do you have in Reminders/Options at any given time? No one has reported this before, so we're interested in finding out more details.

The slow 'save' time only happens with the new release. We have lots of reminders (about 90). Far more than we used to need on the 505. This is caused by the loss of the 'repeating switch to channel by time' which was available on the 505 but is no longer available. For example, on the 505 to watch Jeopardy on Halifax, we set one timer for Mon-Fri. On the 605 we set reminder for all episodes. That produces 12 entries. Do the same for Global National, the National, and Big Bang Theory and you have over 50 timers. Now set a couple of 'Reminder for all New episodes' for the Tonight show and a couple of others and the number grows again before even setting timers for weekly programs.

John

#90 ·
SD 605 Picture Quality

I recently replaced my SD505 receiver with a new 605. The picture quality appears to be worse on the HD channels with the new 605. I have it hooked up to a Sony 1080 HDTV via a HDMI cable. I have changed the video settings to try to get a better picture without success. Any ideas?

Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.