Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2

418K views 1K replies 234 participants last post by  RuralRouter 
#1 ·
We have a thread on the owner experiences and several people mentioned they'd like to see an "issues" thread. Here it is.

Please try to limit discussion to "real" issues and possible resolutions, workarounds, etc.

Try not to post "I tried to record and it wouldn't. After a reboot, it recorded OK" since that's pretty self-evident.

#126 ·
009 KNOW is grayed out on the 630, not that I watch it. Of course 271/274 are on free preview as well as a couple of other channels. They also are grayed out so if you hide them you could only find them by direct remote number or channel scroll, if you know what you are looking for.

#127 ·
anyone using / having problems with external HDMI switches?

A long time and many replacement 530 owner here that just received my trade-up 630 today.

I'm still on version 10 firmware, as when I tried to use the Option 4,9,7,7,2 navigation mentioned at the beginning of this thread, there was no '9' menu choice after '4'. I'm hoping this issue is older firmware, and that the new firmware will be pushed tonight.

I use an external HDMI switch to select sources for my projector. It's a well regarded Oppo HDMI 1.3 switch that has never had a problem with the many sources I have used it with. I also have very short ( 3' ) Blue Jeans HDMI cables between the sources and the switch, and the switch and the projector. I used a DVI / HDMI cable between my 530 and the switch, and never had any HDMI handshake issues.

The 630 is another story. Whenever I switch to another HDMI source, and switch back to the 630 there is no picture ( no HDMI signal ). I've waited up to 5 minutes for it to re-negotiate, but no luck. Only un-plugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable from the 630 will bring it back. While I could use component, I really don't want to. This is a real deal breaker for me. While my most recent (5th) 530 has been reliable for over a year, it recently started going south ( which is why I traded up ), so keeping it isn't an option either.

Does anyone use their 630 with an external switch? Does anyone know if the v13 firmware address this ( I've checked both the owners thread and this one, but couldn't find a conclusive answer ).

My second issue is something that probably doesn't affect anyone else, but, it does affect me, and is bad product design IMO. When you switch the 630 into standby, the TOSLINK optical audio transmitter remains on. I designed and built a custom controller to monitor the TOSLINK signal to see if the box was on or off ( since none of these boxes have discrete on/off IR codes ) for improved WAF. So, this is a step backwards for me. Even cheepo $29 DVD players switch TOSLINK on and off with the power state, so I don't see any reason why this box keeps it on all the time. Although PVR's are energy vampires by nature, they could also be a little 'greener' by implementing this.

On the plus side, I like it's diminutive size. We haven't had a chance to test anything else out yet. Hopefully better than these first impressions.

Jonathan

#129 · (Edited)
jrwhite,

the firmware menu is hidden so dont look at the options and once you are in menu, 4, punch in the numbers 9,2,2 in a fairly quick sequence, like if you were changing channel. Then the hidden menu will appear an select option 2.

I use a Denon receiver (3311CI), not a switch but no handshake issues.

BTW, got curious and even with new firmware the toslink will be active in stanby mode.

#130 ·
Thanks fatkev78 and zbroke,

I did try just hitting 9, but, perhaps I wasn't fast enough. I'll try again when we fire the projector up tonight.

zbroke, do you actually switch sources with your Denon, or just use it to extract audio or rescale?

And special thanks zbroke for checking the TOSLINK port with the new firmware. Bummer. Many cable / satellite boxes will leave the composite video on, just outputting black, when in standby .. so that's why I went the TOSLINK route for detection.

Jonathan

#136 ·
have had the receiver since they were first shipped out, had my first lock up tonight. twice in a row. i was recording 2 HD shows and trying to watch a third in SD. picture froze first and the the sound dies sortly after. any help would be great.

thanks

kevin
You can only watch a recorded show from the hard drive, or one of the ones you're recording, if you're already recording 2 shows. The DVR only has 2 tuners and each one can only bring in 1 channel.

#135 ·
Jrwhite would be really curious if you ever get the hdmi switching working

I had shaw cable motorola 3416 or whatever number it was, and every time i switched inputs on my hdmi switcher it would default to its default settings (720p) dont know if thats happening with you. I really hope its not an issue with shaw direct.

Maybe try 4X3 override on.

Its strange though another user is able to switch inputs with no issue. The oppo switch is excellent however.

#138 · (Edited)
Tonight my 630 locked up (No sound or video or menus but there was a signal from the 630 as my TV showed 1080i) while recording one HD show powered off (standby). It was somewhat stable for a couple of days but there was no major recording sessions.

This release of firmware is less than ready for production ... it's not even beta quality ... just wait until next week and see how it performs.

Is anyone NOT experiencing lockup, missed recording problems?

#140 ·
You're not alone on some of these issues. Failed recordings, pixelated recordings, video and audio glitching leading to the audio being 1 full second ahead of the video (watching the us open tennis tourney was difficult), fast forwarded a recorded show and receiver froze then did an auto re-set. One very unhappy customer..... I shouldn't have ordered the 2nd 630. SD tech was no help.. indicated problems on my account and said GET THIS: "It's good that you're getting a second 630, so when the next problem occurs, you can tell us the difference between the two receivers". I'm not kidding, this is what she said. I think I should be getting paid for my time into this.

#139 ·
I had one receiver last week that fail and won't power on. I received another receiver yesterday and it lock up for the third time tonight. When i got home, I found out that it did not record anything and was frozen and needed a reset to start back.

I'm done with shaw and the crap they sold to customers, I'm going to Bell tomorow and I would rather never watch tv again than coming back to shaw direct.

#141 ·
Well, after missing one recording yesterday, i missed two tonight that were scheduled for 8pm. Receiver had both rec1 and rec2 two ON, but was frozen.

A couple hours prior to the lockup, i had disabled the LOD function. I am not sure if making the change had anything to to with the lockup. Maybe a power reset after making the change could have prevent the lockup. I just don't know...

At this point, i would not recommend anyone to buy this unstable unit. You will most likely miss recordings, which is unacceptable. If you buy it, keep your 530 because it may take a while before this unit is stable.

I will now have to setup manual timers to record the same shows on my 530 as i do not trust the 630 at all.

Sadly, i am not surprise but disappointed.

#142 ·
I emailed ask jim team and sent them this thread. I was in talks with them to switch and they promised me a proper working 630. I told them the deals off until they address the issues in this thread.

I was about to spend 120 on programming monthly with shaw direct, and 30 dollars in rental fee's for the 630. So 150 a month. Hopefully they care as much as bell did when i was going to leave. Bell called me all the time begging to have me back. If they expect to get new customers, and keep their current customers they cant mess this one up (630)

#143 ·
Just installed the 2nd one today and I got the same crappy service intially. They initiated/activated as if I had a round dish. This time I didn't get off the phone until they activated properly. Also set up instant PPV right off, so converted the first 630 experience of 5 calls to get it right to one call.
Also the 2nd 630 was showing .13 as target immediately and I started the user download and it kicked in and loaded the new firmware. The first took a factory reset etc. to get there. So I see some improvement.
Our 630's locked up once today but I/we believe they must have sent some code update or signal that caused it as it was shortly after the new activation.

We have been working the 1st overtime with recordings so we'll transfer some of the schedule to the 2nd now and see if performance and stability etc. improve.

#144 ·
I had two issues yesterday...

First - My wife called me and said the when she hit the guide button after turning the unit on - there was no guide just - it was filled in with all black. She could not exit the guide. I had her reset the unit using the power button.

Second - During the start of America's Got Talent in HD - the system froze but the audio was still coming through - no response from the remote. Once again a power button reset fixed the problem.

Next time I will log these directly with SD.

Cheers

#145 ·
While watching a PPV movie last night -- one I had recorded a couple of days ago, I pressed pause to go and do a few things. It was paused for 10 minutes or so, when I came back it wouldn't play, none of the buttons would work, it was frozen again.

Had to do the 10 sec power button reset again.

While these problems have been nothing more than annoying so far, as of next week when I am dual recording all evening, these lockups are going to be a real problem as resetting will cause havoc with my recording.

So, SD 630 Support -- what's the deal with all these tuner lockups? What's causing them? They happen too often for too many of us here to be just flukes.

I guess I better start calling SD every time something happens and create a history of problems with the 630 on my account. Sigh.

I don't regret buying the 630…yet

#147 ·
As I posted earlier in this thread, I suspect that the makers of the 530 did it again as far as building a machine that doesn't handle heat very well. Is there even a fan in this small PVR? If yes it has to be so minuscule I can't see it being very effective.

I have a fan blowing air directly on the side of the receiver inside my AV rack and I have dual timers programmed all day today, a total of 17 timers. I'm hoping to have them all recorded when I come back from golf late this evening.

As info, it has been recording for a few hours already and the box is very cool to the touch. I like that but we shall see if it's effective.

Next step will be to upgrade the hard drive...

#148 ·
Well, had the same "light on, did not record" error yesterday. I did some looking, and one tuner was not authorized, then the other was not authorized. So, on the phone with Shaw. After being on hold and whatnot, rebooting, pressing buttons and such, it was determined that the guide may be to blame.

Apparently, and this seems odd, the 630 has issues if the guide data isn't up to date. It may be trying to do too many things at once. I don't know, but it burned the early showing of Survivor and locked up during Big Brother (don't look at me like that, the shame is already very immense). If I record two movies late at night, no issues.

#149 ·
Had my first lockup last night. I was recording weird or what on HistHD. I went to bed and when I woke up the entire thing had locked up. I did a reset by holding the power button and it came back on. Looks like it only recorded half the show before locking. I sure hope they fix this because that could get very annoying.

#150 ·
TheSphinx,

Yes, the HDMI switching started working correctly after the v13 firmware upgrade. I only had a chance to test it about a dozen times. I'll post back if there are any lingering issues.

Thanks again zbroke and fatkev78. Keying through the navigation sequence quickly got me to the hidden menu.

Jonathan

#151 ·
I haven't had a bunch of time playing with the recording function which seems to be the bulk of the issue with the 6630, my biggest beef is with teh slow channel changing of the unit. the 530 was quicker moving up and down with the channel button. i hope this can be fixed with a firmware update.. Does anyone else have this issue? When i move up and down with the channel it takes 1-2 seconds to go to the next channel,,

#152 ·
Definately not ready for prime time. My 630 is going back and we'll keep our 530 for the next few months. Hopefully over the next couple of months some of the glitches get fixed. As it is, I'm not ready to deal with the frustration of missed recordings when I have a perfectly good 530 in my rack. The only advantage for us of the 630 is the extended guide and I can live without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.