Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1

538K views 1K replies 193 participants last post by  -Jim- 
#1 ·
Hi i just moved to a new town..hay river,NT and just bought a starchoice dsr319 receiver, there already was a starchoice dish at my apartment in a highrise, i am having problems getting any signals, when i connect the cable from the dish to the receiver my is signal 6-7%...i've been trying all day and the best i got was 12%..i have the elevation right and even move it but still can't get anything better than 12...could there be something wrong with my lnbf?

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc)...

Link to Shaw Direct for Alignment video, etc. See link below:

#53 ·
I wish there was a reference eBook for Satellite TV installation and tweaking that offered a bit more depth and explanations than ShawDirect's Installation manual.

Something that actually explained some of these items, and their relationship to each other, and the impacts of same. :rolleyes:

#54 · (Edited)
Dish Alignment

Hi, we are in central Florida in an RV with a 630 and 75e dish.Recently we started to see pixelation, particularly on HD channels and nearly always concentrated on the face area. This has been more noticeable since 4.06 upgrade.

Anyway decided to see if realigning the dish would help. I have just got hold of an SSM-22 Tuning meter so I put it on one of the unused LNB sockets and proceeded to realign the dish. Immediately the signal strength began to rise with just a minute movement of the dish. Spent about 20 minutes peaking all 3 axis and was quite pleased with the results....... until I went in to look at the TV, NO picture, NO signal!

Went outside with figures from the Sat Finder programme, started from scratch, realigned with the same result.

Back to basics, had the wife sit in front of the TV and yell when there was a signal! Got the picture back and tweaked the dish for the best reading, the SSM-22 was still connected but it did not peak where the best TV signal was:confused:

Now for a couple of assumptions,
1. The dish will receive a signal from any satellite it sees within its bandwidth
2. The LNB will down convert any received signal, it does not just pass the ShawDirect satellite signal.
3. The SSM22 reacts to all received signals, not just the ShawDirect

Question is why doesn't the signal on the SSM-21 peak at the same point as the tuner signals on the TV

I also put an el-cheapo signal meter in line with coax, and it to peaked at the same time as the SSM22, not with the tuner signal strength bars.

Is it possible that there is a stronger signal from WildBlue-1 which seems to be in close proximity to F2 and I was trying to lock on to it with the meter??

Any thoughts,
Wooly

#55 ·
Signal Headaches! Help!!

I am trying to set up a second receiver at our cottage in Manitoba. The receiver I am trying to set up is an older one, but was in working order when previously replaced. There was an aftermarket dish on the house which was hooked up to a FTA dish (on starchoice signal) when we got the cabin, but I've been told star choice receivers MUST use a star choice dish so I purchased an older used star choice dish to accompany my Star Choice receiver. I had no luck getting a signal, at one point I appeared to have as high as 51% signal, but it was flickering between 51, 48, and 12%, too inconsistent to acquire picture I thought. After determining the trees may be a factor, as well as the old dish, I decided to get another dish (borrowed, not yet purchased) which had more modern looking LNBs. I now have the satellite dish solidly mounted, pointed to 196 degrees with an elevation of roughly 32 (according to markings on the back of the dish). I also changed the location to eliminate all obstruction (pointed over a square mile of flat field). This is where I have a max signal strength of 21. WTF! I tried switching back to the other dish I had. Also changed coaxial cables and removed the splitter to have the best direct LNB-receiver connection. This improved my signal to 23.... still a long way to go! I have installed beV and FTA satellites for friends in the past, but my star choice at home was also on location prior to my arrival, so I didn't have this pleasure... until now. I can't see it being a receiver problem unless the settings need to be changed. And I can't see it being the satellite since I have tried 2 star choice elliptical, and an aftermarket elliptical dish with no luck. Product specs of my main equipment below, someone please help.... this is infuriating!!!!

The receiver is a DSR305, with the number 479054-001 directly below. The front is marked MOTOROLA on top left and STAR CHOICE on the bottom right. The dish LNBs are marked with the following:
Star Choice
Dual Satellite Quad Output Switchable Ku LNBF
Model name: LM-2738-SC
Input Frequency: 11.7-12.2GHz
Output Frequency: 950-1450 MHz(non-stacked)
Linear Polarization: Vetical 10.15V
Horizontal 16-20V
For use with 60E dish only

#56 ·
well i can tell you the whole time you had the splitter hooked was a waste of time, ensure there is a direct run from the lnb to the receiver. it was probally a diseqc switch.
i'm also not sure if the older receivers will work with the new 22khz lnb's.
or how old the 305 is for that matter.
if the dish was already skewed and the elevation set as long as you have your mast perfectly level it shouldn't be very hard to find just make sure if you are using the receiver as a signal metre you slightly move the dish wait 3 seconds...ect...ect.

#58 ·
It's not a signal issue as line of sight is clear as can be. It has to be a setting on the receiver, or a hardware malfunction/compatibility issue. The splitter wasn't a disecq switch, it was simply to join 2 cables for distance. I appreciate the attempt, but this isn't gonna be solved by average Joe, I need someone who knows what they're talking about as this shouldn't be nearly as frustrating as it is.

#59 ·
Claytron,

There are folks here from Rookies to Installers and lots of experience. Actually Sat TV is really almost paint-by-numbers if you can read and follow instructions. First try not to get frustrated, patience is definitely a virtue. If you want to see a tough install check out this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

Anyway, onto your problem. Assuming your mast is plumb in both directions, and you've got a 60E (oval to newbies) dish, your LNB is correct. "Installer's advice on the "splitter" is correct. You cannot use a splitter in this application. If you need to join (not recomended practice) your RG6 Quad Shield Cables use a Barrel Type F Connector. You run a continous cable from the LNB at the Dish to the reciever.You can download how to install from Shaw Direct here for reference and the angles needed for your location in Manitoba.

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/documents/Self_Install_Kit_Manual_Eng.pdf

jbracing24 is experienced enough to know about a 305. You don't mention where in Manitoba the cottage is, so look up the nearest town on page 11 of the install manual, or go to Dishpointer for the right numbers.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Simply follow the process in the manual and it should work.

#61 ·
pointed to 196 degrees with an elevation of roughly 32 (according to markings on the back of the dish)
Are those markings for that location? A location change of just 50 miles can make a difference. Also, what about skew? Direction, elevation and skew must all be correct for the exact location. The mast must also be perfectly vertical. Use a level to check it.

#62 ·
not leveling the mast then expecting the given degrees,elev, and scew to work is the most common "average joe" mistake.
2nd is using splitters. in my experience :)
and although LEVEL THE MAST can be written in a help thread 5 times it's usually overlooked.

#63 ·
After checking the mast for plumb in both vertical planes and mounting the Dish, he shoud set it to the angles in the manual, or via Dishpointer.

As his install is on the roof he should consider (if he's spry or daring enough) bringing the reciever and a small TV up there to tweak the dish. It's unreasonable to expect it to hit the birds 100% based on the install numbers. I'd expect it would take him half an hour to "dial in" the dish. If he doesn't want to do haul stuff onto the roof, then get a second person and use a phone (or walkie talkies) to advise how the signal strength is changing.

I remember crunching the numbers a while ago and a one degree miss in set-up (whether caused by Vertical, Skew, etc., ) means you miss (don't hit) the Birds by over 650 Kms. Even final torqing of the bolts cause changes in the Quality numbers.

Even though it's a simple process to go through, dialing in the Dish is not wham bam => thank-you mam! :rolleyes:

#66 ·
I didn't mean any disrespect to the previous posts, but this is not a signal searching issue, it has to be technical. I am experienced in finding satellite signals, just never with star choice. The mast is level, and I have scanned the sky (slight pauses after every slight adjustment) 60 degrees in either direction of where Other local star choice dishes are pointed many times as I adjusted the elevation slightlyboth up and down from my max signal strength. I have been doing this all outside with the receiver and a 20" tv right beside me. I took the receiver to a friend's house whose new receiver was showing a signal of 76%. plugging his coax into my receiver I only get 50%. Probably gonna suck it up and buy a new one, but I would still like to determine the problem.

#67 ·
Maybe you could try aligning your dish with the friend's receiver?

60 degrees in either direction
Totally unnecessary. A compass alignment should be within 10 degrees. If a compass isn't available, look for a nearby dish as a direction guide. I find that marking the dish sleeve and pole before adjustment helps to keep a bearing on what directions have been tried and how far the dish has been shifted.

#68 ·
That is strange if you guys had each receiver on the same channel/transponder. if not then that MAY not have proved anything.
Is the conector where the coax screws onto the receiver loose? pop the top off and take a quick peek there, have a quick sniff while the top is off to see if you can smell anything burnt...
and I agree with scary bob if you have a freind with a known working receiver the smartest thing to do at this stage is alaighn your dish with his receiver pop yours in place and go from there.

#69 ·
I agree the Reciever seems suspect. I too would borrow your friends good box and get your dish set up with his just to make certain the location is good to go. Or just buy yourself a new Reciever and go from there.

If you were closer I'd sell you my DSR505 as it has less than2 hours on it since new. (I only used it for set-up on the Cabin install and it worked great. We just bought a DVR630.)

#71 ·
New To Starchoice Alignment

Hi guys
Hope you can help me out
I am trying to set up a single dish for a SD reciever on Anik f1. My signal is 40 but the quality is 80. The dish I think is aimed properly but I am not sure about the adjustments on the lnb itself. It seems I can adjust the focal and the LNB also twists and I asume that would be the skew. How much of a twist or skew for Windsor Ontario. And what about the in and out or focal point?
I have a cheap meter that I use for bev but I cant get it to work properly for this dish. It keeps beeping at one of the other sats just to the west. I believe Direct tv?
Hope you can help thx in advance
Ron

#72 ·
that linear lnb isn't picking up dtv.
you should be able to see fade marks on the lnb to let you know the focal point. and yes you need to skew the lnb itself. check dishpointer.com for your settings, don't forget to enter your location. what receiver are you using? and is your signal metre unhooked when your seing the 50% signal?
if your using this for shaw I'd suggest it's time to upgrade your dish...lol

#73 ·
Thx for the reply
No the lnb wasnt picking up DTV my meter was. Couldnt zero in on Starchoice with the meter because it kept beeping at the DTV sat.
And yes those readings I mentioned was with the meter unhooked. Do you have a pic of one of these old dishes just so I can get my head around it? Where would 0 degrees be on the skew? If I knew where 0 was I could go from there. The web site you gave me said the skew is 25 degrees in my area.
The trouble is this lnb looks nothing like the others I've dealt with.
Thx in advance

#74 ·
Hi RonTheRipper,

Regardless of what LNB you're using (as long as it is a Star Choice/Shaw Direct LNB), you need to be in the "right" menu and on the "right" channel on the receiver or else it's not actually providing a real signal reading.

I say this because once it is, with a SD receiver you can get picture with a signal of around 30. (However would still want to max it out after this).

If you have a really old receiver with the full-screen grey menus, make sure you're getting the signal from OPTIONS 6-3-1. Before this, tune to channel 299 (if you can't get to 299, make sure you go to 284).

If you have a mid-generation receiver with the picture-in-guide window (pictured below), get the signal from OPTIONS 6-4-3-1. Before this, tune to channel 299.

This will tell you what the signal actually is and should help narrow down whether you're on the right track or not. I'm guessing you're using a round dish (not the elliptical football-shaped one). What does the LNB look like? Is it a cylinder or more of an L-shaped thing? Are there one or two ports?

#75 · (Edited)
Thx for reply
I am getting a picture I just cant get the signal past 40 but yet the quality is at 75. Yes its a round dish. The lnb is a 2 part. I guess you would say its L-shaped it this slides through a hole on a bracket mounted on the dish arm. There is only 1 port. Its a very old reciever. The web site tells me to skew at 25 but I'm not even sure where 0 is.
Thx again

#76 ·
i'm not familliar with the old generation receivers however every fta receiver i've ever owned also gives a signal and a quality reading, your quality is how well you are locked on the bird and the signal is the strength between the receiver and the lnb, with a low signal i would guess you had poor coax or the wrong type, or bad connectors or a very long run.

#80 ·
More or less, yes. The settings I'm looking at indicate ~3:30 for "Hands of a clock position", which would be ~1/4 turn clockwise.

Again though, any readings in OPTIONS 6-4 on a Legacy receiver are invalid and don't mean anything in the Shaw Direct world. You must measure signal from OPTIONS 6-3-1.