Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Multiswitch Discussions

214K views 389 replies 106 participants last post by  frenchophile 
#1 ·
When we ordered our 630 yesterday, our deal included the installation of a multiswitch. I'm not sure if it's the 4 X 8 or the 5 X 8. Anyway, I must admit, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of it is. We will have four lines when the installation is complete. My understanding from what I've read here is that you need all four lines to use the multiswitch. We will then have a 630, a 530 and a 505. That's why we received the multiswitch. So, let's say we plug in all three receivers. What is the benefit of this? We still only have the programming available on four separate feeds at the same time, right? It isn't like we suddenly have eight separate feeds available to us just because we have the multiswitch, right? So, in theory, we can record two things on the 630, one thing on the 530 and watch the other feed off the 530. That's four. What can the 505 do separately from this if it's plugged into the multiswitch? Do you understand what I'm asking? I know this may seem like a lame question, but honestly I don't understand it and the threads I've read don't clarify it for me. By the way, I'm also happy to read an explanatory thread. If someone knows of one, that would be great if you would paste in the thread.

The Hans

#126 ·
I just noticed on the spec sheets for the two 4x8 multiswitches Shaw carries, that the frequency range on the "indoor" switch is far greater than the "outdoor" switch. Would this have any effect? What frequencies do the quad LNB's output? See links below for spec sheets.

Thanks.

Frequency range: 950-1450MHz
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english/store/download/4X8_multiswitch_spec_sheet.pdf

Frequency range: 950-2200Mhz
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english/store/download/5X8_multiswitch_spec_sheet.pdf

#128 ·
Get the second one, there are a few issues with the first one. I have the second one and it has been flawless. Buy it on ebay or online somewhere else, it is a lot less expensive than through Shaw Direct, or better yet see if they will throw it in for free as mentioned.

#129 ·
If you are looking for a deal try this:

I bought the Philips SDW5058 Satellite Multiswitch primarily because it was 5X8 and outdoor rated. Whereas the Eagle Aspen version was indoor rated only. It comes with the typical isolated (ungrounded) wall wort type AC power supply. I went to Princess Auto and bought the Phillips SWD5058/17 5X8 Multiswitch off the shelf. You don't need to use the "5th" input (It's for an over the air antenna or Cable).

It was listed for $39.99 but with a sale sticker for $36.01. I noticed when I got outside, the net after tax was $35.85 so I checked the bill, and it scanned in at $32.01 plus taxes. The cashier said I could return it if I didn’t like it anytime as long as it’s not worn...(Sounds better than Costco -and a lot cheaper than SD!)

So if you are close to a Princess Auto...
Or?

#130 ·
QCK, what issues does the first one have? I really need an outdoor rated one so the second one will not work,

Jimsathome, I'm about an hour and half away from a Princess Auto. I tried searching their website but didn't find any multiswitches. Do you know anywhere online I can order it in Canada?

Thanks guys!

#136 ·
I figure you must be near the new Kamloops Princess Auto. Regardless just call them and ask if they've got one in stock.

You can read all about our Cabin install near Kamloops with the Phillips Multiswitch here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

As far as the discussion about powered or not, I did a lot of reasearch before concluding a powered unit provides a small amount of boost (~1.5 dB if I remember correctly to overcome insertion losses) while some unpowered units can actually degrade the signal strength.

If you plan to have the dish reasonably close to the switch, and your runs to the recievers relatively close as well, an unpowered unit maybe a good solution for you. I mounted the Box you see in the photo during reconstruction, and we have a wall plug less than a foot away on the inside wall. But powering is not a big deal as you can connect a piece of RG6 and run it as far as you need.

If you are going outside with your switch, I'd put it inside a weather proof Box. The photo you see was just a temporary mount. I'm going to post a more complete photo as I reworked the connections and made the cables tidy.

#131 ·
I'm not sure honestly but the installer I had said there were issues with them. If you are putting the switch outside you are better off to use this switch which uses no extrenal power. I use this one for my HAFH and it does not cost much: Zinwell WB68

#132 ·
I thought that the multiswitch needed to be powered for anything beyond 4 outputs due to signal loss. Or am I mistaken?

The Zinwell WB68 looks like it would be ideal though, and would solve the problem of having to run power to it as well. Are there any known issues with this multiswitch?

Any idea where I can order/get one from? I'm in a pretty small town, so ordering online would be the route I'm looking for.

Thanks.

#133 ·
No, this switch works just fine without the added power supply. And my cable runs are about 150 ft as well.

Just do a search and you will find places to buy it. E bay would be the cheapest, or a place like solid signal should have them as well. Just get it delivered to your place.

#134 ·
I checked Ebay and Solid Signal. All of the ones on Ebay are from the states (same with Solid Signal), so I'll probably wait until the whole post office strike is settled before ordering. I really don't want to use UPS or Fedex for something from the US because of the crazy brokerage fees.

I'm also going to need a new LNB I think. I currently have a dual-stacked 75cm dish, but I think the LNB might be for a 60cm dish. I had one of the outputs on the original LNB go a few years ago and the install guy said he had a spare one he could install. I never mentioned it was a 75cm dish (since I thought the LNB's were the same at the time) and he never mentioned anything when installing it, so I'm thinking he put a 60cm LNB up there since my signal never goes above 60 (it was originally about 85 when the dish was first installed). I'll have to get a ladder to check though.

Would Shaw provide a LNB replacement for free?

#138 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered a WB68 off of Ebay a couple days ago, it's about $30 including the shipping.

I figured since the post office strike is just rotating right now, I should be pretty safe.

I'm planning to mount it under the sundeck (which is directly below the dish), so it should be dry as a bone there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

#142 ·
I have two 630's, and a 405, so I needed a Multiswitch. After some comparisons, I bought a Zinwell WB68 off e-Bay. It took a month to get here because of the postal strike, but the total price with shipping to BC was only $25. The unit is small enough that it ships in just a padded envelope. It was obviously used, but appeared in good shape physically. Installed today and it's working perfectly! I measured the signal strength & EBNO, before and after installation; the results were exactly the same, across the board. So far, I'm happy.

Jake

#143 ·
I'm a new subscriber to Shaw Direct, and the install is coming up in a couple weeks. I've ordered one 630 and 3 600's. As a result of needing 5 lines in, they have already shipped a 4x8 multiswitch for free.

I read through this thread and I think I understand, but am hoping someone can just comfirm for me:
1) In order for multiswitch to work all 4 outputs from LNB have to be connected? I can't just put 3 in to create 6 out, and then use the final out from LNB on it's own?
2) Does multiswith need to be plugged in to work? Dumb question probably but just curious.

Reason I'm asking - Long story, but basically the way my house is wired, and where I'm locating my PVR, it's best to have one line on it's own into the house, and then 3 lines in another location into the house, with the multiswitch inside plugged in.

Is it possible to forget the 4x8 multiswitch, and just have a 1x2 switch on one of the lines? Is there even such a thing as a 1x2 switch??

#145 ·
What you have, is a switch that will connect 4 inputs (from your dish LNB's) to distribute across 8 potential receivers.

The 4 inputs will connect to your two LNB's at the dish end as each LNB has two outputs... one for horizontal polarization and one for vertical polarization.

Yes, you will need power as this is not a passive device pulling power from a connected receiver.

#146 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for that.

What about a 1x2 multiswitch? Is there such a thing that will work with shaw direct for just the one line?

If I understand you correctly I'm thinking not. also just to clarify then, if I eliminate the switch can I have 4 independant lines off the LNB (ie 4 receivers or 2 PVRs as example)? The way you describe it, it almost sounds like without a multiswitch I could only have 2 receivers independant of each other......but I might be reading you wrong.

#147 ·
No. There really is no such thing as a 1x2 switch. In a case like this, providing it is a circularly polarized LNB or a horizontal/vertical polarization LNB, you would plug each of the two receivers into one of the two outputs on the LNB. The voltage output of the receiver will determine the polarization of the signal the LNB will pass on to the receiver. This works fine for a single LNB dish system.

The reason you need a switch for more than two receivers and more than one LNB, is the electronics in the switch, relay the appropriate LNB signal to the appropriate receiver. Say one receiver wants a horizontally polarized signal from LNB A and a second receiver wants a vertically polarized signal from LNB B and a third receiver wants a vertically polarized signal from LNB A and so on... the switch sees the voltages and the lnb tone or digital tracing signal and routes the appropriate signal to the appropriate receiver accordingly.

The 4x8 switch allows two different LNB on a single dish to communicate with up to 8 receivers, independent of each other.

#148 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks. I get now that I need to have all 4 lines going into the 4x8 multiswitch in order for it to work. I also get now, that there is no such thing as a 1x2 switch.

but I still think you are saying that a switch of some kind is needed even I just want to run say 1 PVR and 2 non-PVR's. I don't think this is true (did I mention that I will have a Quad LNB - 4 lines out). I think I can run 1 PVR and 2 non-PVR's without the use of a switch. It's just cause I'm trying to run 1 PVR and 3 non-PVR's that I need the switch.

Can someone confirm I don't need a switch if I'm running 1 PVR and only 2 non-PVR's?

#150 ·
If you wanted to remove one of your 600s, then you could do away with the mutil-switch. The four lines from the LNB would go directly to the receivers (2 for the 630 and 1 each for the 2 600s)

Bite the bullet. Get the muti-switch installed inside (basement) somewhere.

Now, you could still run the wiring you were hoping for. Run all 4 lines into the switch. The one that you wanted off on its own, just run an output from the switch back outside again and around to the side of the house you want then back inside again to your receiver. I did something similar to take advantage of a pre-existing install. You can run these lines quite a distance before you notice signal drop.

#152 ·
Just got a 630 installed today

Aready had 4 lines coming into house for 4 TV's
Tech had to install Multiswitch in order to get another line.

Was not home at the time (wife was)

So when I got back saw that he installed the switch right below the Soffit under the roof. (guess he had no chioce) reading here he needed the 4 lines for the multiswitch as all the lines go diffrent ways once they run Dwn the house.

Funny thing is how he powered the Multiswitch
he took another Coax cable from the switch and passed it inside
were it ends up connected to a power adapter never knew this could be done)

needless to say looks clean up under Soffit
cables are tucked clean as he could.
and everything seems set up Great

Question: As long as switch is Dry I should have no Issues ?

Jacko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.