Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion Thread

1M views 3K replies 468 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order

Edit by 57: Here's a thread summarizing problems, issues, resolutions, workarounds:

Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

#56 ·
The old machine was dvi. Dvi would have outputted rgb, specifically rgb pc levels which change brightness and contrast. Overwashed out bright scenes, crushed blacks. The new one is hdmi. It can output ycbcr or rgb, i generally prefer ycbcr since its the format of blue ray. Ycbcr outputs a more limited range so unless your tv is adjusted for the new white and black levels, blacks can be crushed, whites can be blown out.

Colorspace should not be a huge difference, but it can make the colors look off depending on how your set is calibrated or what your used to.

#57 · (Edited by Moderator)
630 pvr

Just got my 630 last Fridayand got it hooked up and activated, a very painless procedure I might add. A couple of things, first, i have the output set to hdmi and the screen to 16 x 9 then when I tried to enable the overide to 480i it sort of shuts the box down, because I have composite cables going to a dvd recorder i was able to go back and turn the overide off. Now i am always having to adjust the screen between normal for HD and stretch for SD.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
I scanned the codes with the new 630 remote for my older Techniques receiver and it only allows me to turn the receiver on and off, can not adjust volume or anything else.
Lastly I have noticed that the new pvr wants to reboot itself now and again, 2 or 3 times since Friday.
Other than these minor issues i am very pleased with the box so far.
If anyone would like to comment please feel free.

#58 ·
Have had my 630 activated about a week now. Generally pleased with it but it did auto reboot one time. The only problem I have to date is that channel 505 (Discovery) does not have sound. Did a reset and also tried every combination of sound settings but to no avail. Have not tried every channel of course so there may be others. Anyone else having similar problems? Have not reported this yet as the techs don't seem to have a handle on the 630 yet.
Lester

#60 ·
Video Settings Summary

Hi rdgt2,

The "HDMI" Output Format actually has the receiver query the TV as to its preferred resolution and adjust accordingly. As such, a 480i override isn't necessary.

For most people, we don't recommend using the "HDMI" output format - set the Output Format to 1080i (or 720p if you prefer) and then turn the Override on or off depending on your needs. Not all TVs report a correct "preferred" value, and on some TVs using the "HDMI" setting causes longer channel changes.

Here's a quick summary of the Video Settings found in OPTIONS 4-5:

Output Format
1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i are the resolutions you can force all content to. This only applies to the HDMI and Component video output.

Native will output at the same resolution as the channel comes in at with no conversion. On some TVs, this causes longer channel changes as the TV adjusts to the new resolution with each change. See 57's post here.

HDMI will query the TV as to its preferred resolution and adjust accordingly. This is not recommended as some TVs seem to request 480p or 480i, and suddenly you're not getting HD resolution anymore.

4x3 Override
The 4x3 Override setting will "override" the specified Output Format when tuned to SD channels.

TV Type
Leave this on 16x9 unless you have a 4x3 square HDTV.

Summary Version:
For most people, we recommend an Output Format of 1080i.
1) If you want SD stations stretched by your TV, set the 4x3 Override to 480i.
2) If you don't want the SD stations stretched, leave the 4x3 Override Off.

Regardless of your settings, you can always use the ASPECT button on the remote to Stretch or Zoom the picture if desired.

#62 ·
I just got my return box about 1/2 an hour ago from Purolator. (return shipping label included). Letter that comes with the box says to "pack securely". With what? The box is totally empty. No packing came with the box. Fortunately I had some packing paper left from something else I had delivered.

#63 ·
Picture Quality

In addition to the improved PQ that I have noticed on HD channels, I find the PQ on the sd channels, using "no 4x3 override", is far superior to the sd picture I experienced with the 530. Also, for some reason the black bars on either side of the screen seem to be smaller using this setting than if I choose override for 4x3. I can now actually enjoy watching SD channels whereas in the past I avoided them like the plague.

#65 ·
First impressions:

The 630 is very responsive. Love the small size. The remote is better than the 530 remote. HD picture quality seems better than the 530.

Having owned a 9242, a 722k and an HR22, the 630 is so far performing very well in comparison.

Nitpicks: orange LEDs are ugly and no OTA tuner. Otherwise Shaw Direct has a winner here.

#66 ·
Way to go SD!

First off, since I only ever complain let me say how impressed I am by SD. First we get the 630s earlier than expected (surprising!) and in plenty of time for the new fall season and second -- it works and pretty darn well.

So, way to go SD! Also I love the addition of our SD support here. Very useful. (Thanks for the tip about the video setting, much easier than changing connections)

That said, I have a couple issues, minor and nothing to be regretting the purchase.

1) the aspect button causes my blue TV screen "not supported mode" to pop up for a second, then a black screen for a second before the aspect changes, this is also accompanied by a static-y sound.

*But the interactive B button seems to work fine and I now use this to zoom away black bars. But I wonder why the aspect button seems so harsh -- wrong setting? (720p, 480p overide, 16x9)

2) while watching a recording, if I let it go to its end and stop automatically, when the recordings screen pops up, it is zoomed in really close so that I can't see to delete what I've just watched, I have to hit "go back" and then go back into my recordings and delete it. I remember a similar problem like this in the 530 way back when.

3) if you have a program set to record all episodes, and you watch and delete an episode when that same episode is later shown on the same channel, it will record again.

4) channel changing for me takes forever -- black screen for 3-4 seconds and audio comes in before picture.

Anyone shed any light on these?

Other than that, I love series record, it's working brilliantly for me. Love that I can see weeks worth of episodes set to record in upcoming. Love that I can have episode titles and love, love, love the extended guide and info. Recording two things at once is working like a dream and the finish late function is super-fab for channels like Showcase. Great!

Also, I haven't received my return box either. Hope it gets here before my 10 days are up.

#72 ·
Duplicate Episodes?

3) if you have a program set to record all episodes, and you watch and delete an episode when that same episode is later shown on the same channel, it will record again.
Hi ElenaH,

We've noticed a couple of people have reported this issue. As long as the program has proper Guide data, the PVR will not automatically record the same episode for the duration specified in "PVR Options" (OPTIONS-5).

What do I mean by "proper Guide data"?
If a program has Generic or no data, the PVR doesn't know which episode is airing and will record it each time, thinking it might be a different episode.
Generic descriptions usually describe the show rather than the episode, or don't say anything at all.
Example: an episode of The Simpsons that says "Homer and Marge Simpsons raise Bart, Lisa, and baby Magy" instead of "While wandering in a field after getting lost, Lisa discovers three teenage girls who are practicing Wiccans..."
Reality TV programs sometimes have this issue, too.

If you notice a particular show that always has this issue, just set the Recording Event (in PVR Options) to only record on a single channel.

For the vast majority of primetime programming, this works flawlessly. Try it out on something like Entourage, CSI, The Good Wife, NCIS, etc. Do a search for the program, select "Record all episodes", and then go to "PVR" and then "Options". Find the program you just set, and select "View upcoming airdates". You should see the regular "recording scheduled" round record icon only once for each episode, and then the "duplicate episode" (X record icon) for each of the duplicate episodes. Delete the event afterwards if you don't want it to record!

#68 ·
Elana H try setting 4X3 override to 480i. That might be why channel changes take so long. Programs in standard def are broadcast in 480i, not 480p.

Maybe also try 4X3 override off. Although it kind of sounded like your tv might not support 480i over hdmi. As 57 mentioned many tv's dont.

I was curious about the channel changes myself. Let me know if any of that helps. Although really thats about how long mine takes on bell. What were you using before? Component? It might be the hdcp handshake with hdmi that your not used to if so.

#70 ·
ElenaH- I too noticed that annoying zoom at the end of a recorder program- something that was definitely there in a previous firmware version of the 530.

I also agree that the series record function records episodes again if you have deleted a previously viewed episode. Im not sure how that cold be fixed- as the box probably thinks it is a 'new' episode- unless you delete it after the 1st airing on the timeshifted channel?
Does the guide data specify 1st airing and therefore everything afterwards is a repeat?

I echo- great to have "SD_630_suppor"t here- and this box seems to be a winner!

#71 ·
Millstone: I had the same problem when FF through a recorded program while recording a second program. The screen froze with flickering and could not get out. Had to do a soft reset.

Also after reset, the channels I subscribe to, but put parental locks on as I don't watch them, all came back on the guide so have to go and delete them all again.

Other than that, loving the 630, just find it takes time to re-learn how to do things in the new set-up. Would love a more comprehensive manual.

#73 ·
HDPVR User Guide

Other than that, loving the 630, just find it takes time to re-learn how to do things in the new set-up. Would love a more comprehensive manual.
Hi GilandSully,

Absolutely, and that's why we wrote one! There is a full 45-page User Guide available on the Shaw Direct website. It should answer any question you could possibly have about the HDPVR 630!

I don't think I can direct-link, but if you go to the website, click through to the HDPVR 630 feature page (should be a big graphic at the top on the main page), and scroll to the very bottom of that page, it's listed as "User Guide".

Enjoy!

#89 ·
Hi mrbean5411,

In trying to record this, did you find Oprah on the channel you want to record in the Guide, press ENTER, and select "Record all episodes"?

Or, did you create a Manual Timer to record a particular time block on a particular channel on weekdays?

If you created a Manual Timer, what you described is expected behaviour. Manual Timers do not capture any program information. To delete the manual timer, press MENU, select "PVR", and then "Options". It should be at the bottom of the list as "Timer XX" or similar. Press ENTER and select "Delete manual timer".

The first way of doing this is the recommended method - that way, if Oprah changes time slot or isn't on a particular day, the PVR will adjust automatically. Plus, all your recordings will contain the full program information - title, rating, description, etc.

It's certainly a shift from the way the HDPVR 530 works - just remember that on the 530 you're recording a time slot, on the HDPVR 630 you're recording a program. The 630 will automatically adapt and adjust to ensure your program is always recorded based on your specified settings!

#75 ·
Can't believe they didn't include a manual with the device. Download manual here. (.pdf file)

#76 ·
Thanks SD 630, and Hugh

Hugh, it does come with a manual, but very limited. For example it says to click on PVR options and select program to set channels for recording, HD, SD etc. But I found you can only access Channels when you first set a series to record, eg Law&Order, but if you have picked an episode of Law&Order, you can't get Channels, just All episodes, New Episodes, Priority.

I had to go back, delete all the episodes of Law&Order, then pick the Series again and then I could get the channel option. Maybe I am screwing up somewhere, but that was the only way I could find the Channel option.

Will print out the Manual from the site, thanks.

#77 ·
Remote Address

I went to change my remote address since my neighbor is changing my channels for me. I actually watched him type in channel 505 yesterday while my remote sat on the table in front of me.

The change remote address in the install settings seems to be disabled... the only thing I can select is Cancel... is there some other button I should be pushing to change the remote channel?

For now I have removed the mini antenna on the back but that's not a great solution.

Thanks!

#94 ·
I went to change my remote address since my neighbor is changing my channels for me. I actually watched him type in channel 505 yesterday while my remote sat on the table in front of me.

The change remote address in the install settings seems to be disabled... the only thing I can select is Cancel... is there some other button I should be pushing to change the remote channel?

For now I have removed the mini antenna on the back but that's not a great solution.

Thanks!
Go to "Options -> 4 -> 3 -> 2" to get to the Change Remote Control Address screen.

Now hold the MUTE and ENTER buttons until the mode buttons at the top of the remote start to illuminate and rotate. Release both buttons. You have a choice of seven codes to use. Enter in one of the following codes:
000, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007.
Press the ENTER button to save the code.

#78 ·
drdave - I had a similar issue. When I went to the screen to change the remote address number it showed 4 digits (0000) in green. I kept trying to type in 4 digits but it never worked. Than I typed in only 3 digits (eg, 003) and pressed ok and voila, it worked. Try that.

#79 ·
6. Video Adjustments

Could someone please explain the point of option number 6. Video Adjustments in the System Settings? All I get is a white screen with coloured boxes in the middle surrounded by coloured rectangle box lines.
I noticed on TSN (Ch. 280 for me) The ticker is a little to high as you can see the picture underneath it (slightly, but its there), also note, that I'm currently in 1080i mode as recommend by SD 630 Support. No option to move the screen up/down, left/right.
It's just me nit-picking. I'm just curious what this option is suppose to do as I may be missing something. It's the same as it was on the 530, it doesn't do anything except show this picture of rectangles.:confused:

All in all, very satisfied with new 630. In fact I now have another one on the way to replace my second 530! ;)

#92 ·
Could someone please explain the point of option number 6. Video Adjustments in the System Settings? All I get is a white screen with coloured boxes in the middle surrounded by coloured rectangle box lines.
I noticed on TSN (Ch. 280 for me) The ticker is a little to high as you can see the picture underneath it (slightly, but its there), also note, that I'm currently in 1080i mode as recommend by SD 630 Support. No option to move the screen up/down, left/right.
It's just me nit-picking. I'm just curious what this option is suppose to do as I may be missing something. It's the same as it was on the 530, it doesn't do anything except show this picture of rectangles.:confused:

All in all, very satisfied with new 630. In fact I now have another one on the way to replace my second 530! ;)
Are you sure your just not used to the 530? I think it had 2% overscan?

Are you saying the picture does not fill your screen completely?

Also try to toiggle the zoom modes.

Double check it was not just that specific program as well.

If your watching the u.s. open i just checked it on bell and their is a thin line under the ticker. Its just tsn.

#80 ·
Infractions issued and posts removed.

from post #1

This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order