Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread

325K views 1K replies 235 participants last post by  P2B 
#1 ·
This thread is for frustrated members to air their beefs and grievances over Shaw Direct.

If you have a technical problem that needs solving, please check out other threads, as this one is just for rants and complaints.

Please Note:

Although this thread is for rants and complaints, you are still expected to follow the rules of the forum when you post so No swearing, no oversized fonts, images etc.

#58 ·
Yea I'm extremely pleased with the quality. I'm glad I did this test as it verifies the fact that my setup is perfect. The Pioneer TVs are truly the best plasmas and will take an SD signal and make it look very good. I assume that has something to do with it.

I'm happy that ShawDirect has loyal fans as there needs to be competition. So this is fine with me.

#59 ·
Shaw has taken out Star Choice in Alberta now too:

Increase of monthly bill for the same channels I was receiving with Star Choice, there was no upgrade in channels and no other offers to go with it, just pay what they say kind of thing. {{Which would be: 'Now you can pay higher for our services because we are no longer Star Choice. Glad to know you noticed your bill increase on your new bill! THANKS FROM SHAW DIRECT' }}

Its not fair that Shaw can take over Star Choice and increase the prices without letting us know in advance. I, as a paying customer: I have the say so.
I am the paying customer, not them, and I dont say its ok, PLUS I never received any notice they were doing so. NOT FAIR.

Why is it that WE who pay for the services have no right to 'notice of price increase'?. WE all did sign up for the package prices we wanted and now they are costing us more just because some top dollar company was richer or better than the other? Does that make sense? :-|

#71 ·
I emailed tech support at Shaw and they promptly sent me back a list of possible steps, which involved mostly info about power surges and resetting the unit.

I promptly emailed them back and reiterated that the problem had nothing to do with those issues, and again sent them a link to this very thread, which shows a growing number of subscribers with the same complaint. Sadly, no response.

#75 ·
Glad they got it fixed, but just another example of incompetence in deployment.
Things like this happen because they have no clear direction.
To wishy washy to make a decision, stick with it and move along a path.
No wonder it's taken an extra couple of years to get this far.

Somebody go hire new management and toss the party 8 ball in the trash that passes off as management.

#76 ·
I've all but cancelled my service with them.

I've had it with the price increases and issues with my receiver.

I do have one question though, when I do cancel my service with SD I get to keep the box correct ? What happens with their dish on my roof as well ?

I might go back to them, one day...but right now with being unemployed, my priorities aren't TV and their increasing bills.

#79 ·
Ni Fixes To Simple Issues

Here are a few issues I have with Shaw Direct. I have notified them of some of the issues but they are seemingly not interested.

I do not understand why ANY programmes have no information about their content in the information box. Even news programmes could state something like local and world news from XXXX station based in wherever.

When I cancel my service for vacations, say for one month, I receive the movie guide for that month but then no guide for the following month when I get back. Now I tell them not to cancel the guide for the month, but it still occurs.

Why does the channel changer go in one direction when going from channel to channel, but the other direction when using it within the guide? It makes no sense to me.

Why can't I see at a glance what channels I am subscribed to within the guide? I can understand them showing all channels just to let me know what I am missing, but surely it's not rocket science to show the ones I am able to watch.

Overall I am happy with the quality of the pictures; the price is excessive.

#83 ·
I do not understand why ANY programmes have no information about their content in the information box. Even news programmes could state something like local and world news from XXXX station based in wherever.
It's a limitation in their system which they have never addressed.

When I cancel my service for vacations, say for one month, I receive the movie guide for that month but then no guide for the following month when I get back. Now I tell them not to cancel the guide for the month, but it still occurs.
It's pegged to the subscription of the channel. I don't think that it's even Shaw who sends this out. Not unlike any other subscription, there is a time lag.

Why can't I see at a glance what channels I am subscribed to within the guide? I can understand them showing all channels just to let me know what I am missing, but surely it's not rocket science to show the ones I am able to watch.
Just lock out your unsubscribed channels.

Here's my question:

Why is a channel offered (like bpm:tv) by every major television cable and sat company but not Shaw?

#80 ·
I do not understand why ANY programmes have no information about their content in the information box.
Right on, brother.

Why does the channel changer go in one direction when going from channel to channel, but the other direction when using it within the guide?
I know so many people who have trouble with that, too, my Moms being a prime example.

#84 ·
the direction the channels change and move in the guide makes perfect sense to me. when you push channel up while you surfing the channels it goes up in numerical order. when you push channel up while looking at the guide you go up through the guide. it would seem backwards to me to have the guide move in the opposite direction as the button on the remote. the order they appear in the guide could be reversed so that the numbers go down as you look down through the guide but that would seem awkward to me, i'm used to seeing a list of numbers in increasing order as i look down the page.

#86 ·
Just lock out your unsubscribed channels.
I am aware of this, but the list of channels I can access changes from time to time re specials, whatever. I just want to see what I can get if I click the channel. Once I create a list current on any given date, those are the only channels I will see from then on. If they add more channels, I won't see them.

As for the movie magazine not being within Shaw's domain, I pay for the service through Shaw, I am Shaw's customer, Shaw is responsible for my satisfaction with their service. I am certainly not the only customer affected by this out of sync situation. I expect Shaw to address issues like this.

#87 ·
I am aware of this, but the list of channels I can access changes from time to time re specials, whatever. I just want to see what I can get if I click the channel. Once I create a list current on any given date, those are the only channels I will see from then on. If they add more channels, I won't see them.
Not true. If a new channel is added, you will see it.