Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread

325K views 1K replies 235 participants last post by  P2B 
#1 ·
This thread is for frustrated members to air their beefs and grievances over Shaw Direct.

If you have a technical problem that needs solving, please check out other threads, as this one is just for rants and complaints.

Please Note:

Although this thread is for rants and complaints, you are still expected to follow the rules of the forum when you post so No swearing, no oversized fonts, images etc.

#11 ·
Shaw Directs pay per view channels and selection sucks. It only got worse by removing the preview channel for a slideshow channel. They should have stuck with viewers choice. Thats all I have to say about Shaw.
The best part is they are new movies and some of them only have the title, there is zero detail on what the movie is about. You think someone would fix simple stuff like this a long time ago.

Ah, we all can't wait for the detailed 14 day guide as part of the great upgrade coming "soon" :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Too little, too late...I'm leaving Shaw Direct on Sept 19th for Telus Satellite and the great HD PVR with all the features and options that you could want...and have been waiting soooooo long for from Shaw. :rolleyes: Good Luck people! ;)

#17 ·
I'm very tired of waiting to get a decent working PVR from ShawDirect. They keep postponing the release of their firmware and the hardware sucks on top of it.

I jumped ship today after years of being with ShawDirect. Next Saturday Bell is coming to hook up their dish. Hopefully I will enjoy it much better than I have the starchoice/ShawDirect flavor. It's too bad, because ShawDirect has a lot going for itself, but the empty promises and severely flawed hardware forced me to leave. I'll be calling them next week to cancel my subscription.

#18 ·
Call now..the sooner the better..it takes 30 days for the cancellation to take effect Funkytown. I'm paying for a week extra after Telus Sat. is installed at my house.

#21 ·
Thanks again Riko. It saved me a few days of service as I wasn't going to call until next weekend. I called just now and they asked me questions as to why I was leaving. Let's just say I was very honest about it. It won't be disconnected until October. No big deal. Now on to selling this 530.

#22 ·
No Prob. FunkyTown, I wasn't going to call until later on either, but I just thought I should just in case.:) I was very honest with them as well ;), they even offered me a discount on their new PVR, whenever that is coming out. Thanks but no thanks, do I really want to take a chance on hardware that hasn't even been out yet. NOPE! Looking forward to Telus TV, even if the HD is "softer" looking...the hardware is the big seller! :D

#23 ·
The man I spoke with did not know anything about a new PVR. I mentioned that I heard one was coming out and thought this might be the saviour of ShawDirect. He said he has no information on a new one. Obviously it would be a big risk investing more money into this company given the track record of their current hardware and firmware.

If they were smart, they would have kept the Starchoice name until the new receiver came out. Then change their name along with the new receiver. Oh well.

#26 ·
The man I spoke with did not know anything about a new PVR. I mentioned that I heard one was coming out and thought this might be the saviour of ShawDirect. He said he has no information on a new one. Obviously it would be a big risk investing more money into this company given the track record of their current hardware and firmware
everyone knows ( at least here) that there is a new HD PVR in test that will be out in about a year or maybe sooner maybe the only ones not knowing are shaw direct employes (in training!!!) :)

#28 ·
everyone knows ( at least here) that there is a new HD PVR in test that will be out in about a year or maybe sooner
Don't make promises you can't keep, we should have had updated firmware a year ago that everyone was aware of, a year later and we are all still waiting. The new satellites will not go up until 2011/2012 (it looks like 2012) at the earliest and it seems that SD is in no rush to get the MPEG4/DVB-S2 receivers available to us anytime soon.

#27 ·
I don't know. The man was very nice and he had a voice that sounded just like Winnie-the-Pooh. Seriously! I asked him if he was new to the DSR530s and he said no. He went on to say that the DSR530 is his specialty which was why I was transferred to him for the disconnection as he's been working with them for years and would investigate whether the problem was in my usage of the equipment. Poor guy, he probably gets a lot of people screaming at him all day long if he looks after disconnections.

The thing I do and always have liked about StarChoice/ShawDirect is they always seem to have friendly people on the customer service desk. Bell has the most horrible people. With Bell, I've been disconnected, snapped at, and I usually get someone who barely speaks English. When dealing with a complicated contract or device, having someone who barely speaks English is very bad. So I will give kudos to StarChoice for at least having English speaking people who really know English, and that they are friendly. I am hoping if the 9241 works well, I should never have to deal with Bell's lousy customer service. It's a risk, but I think I need a change away from the bad risk I chose with the DSR530. If things are OK with Bell I will stay with them, but if they start jerking me around I'll leave them again within 2 years.

#29 ·
Good idea, I'm also making the jump to Telus & called them last week. It's been far too long for SD to get even the basics running properly on this PVR. I'm still having to reboot this thing constantly ( this is my 2nd unit after the 1st one cratered).
It seems to me that after how many years now, they are unable or simply unwilling to commit the resources needed to correct the issues that have plagued this receiver, or as some have suggested, the receiver can't be corrected for whatever reason. In any case, I do hope things get better for the people who remain loyal. good luck all