Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Home Away From Home Program

207K views 306 replies 94 participants last post by  dosgringos 
#1 ·
Not too long ago there was an announcement that Shaw Direct had canceled their Home Away From Home program, posted on Digital Home at http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3559/279/. HAFH, explained below, would henceforth only be available to customers already on the program.

I recently asked Contact Us at Shaw what the program was all about, and the legalities of receiving Shaw in the U.S., and got this reply today:

"Home Away From Home is a program offered to our customers who are looking to stay connected to Shaw Direct (previously Starchoice) year round. The purpose of the program is to ship a second dish and self install kit (if necessary) to a 2nd residence within Canada so that customers can continue to enjoy Shaw Direct programming while on vacation (at the cottage, RV, etc.) You can have both your primary residence and vacation residence all under one account. One account = one bill.

HAFH is NOT to be used for watching programming at two locations simultaneously. You are responsible for ensuring us that the programming is being watched at one address at a time, not both.

$99 plus tax one time charge to cover the cost of the dish. $13.99 shipping fee for dish. Receivers purchased at regular Cash and Carry price . Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct.
Raj, Shaw Direct"

See less See more
#82 ·
4 or 5 receivers at the cabin? That's some cabin!
I run 2 at the cottage...I applied for the HAFH program a couple years ago, faxed in a hydro bill etc but never heard if it was activated or not. The receivers all work but they never took the fee that was stated. Ever since i have been afraid of the dish needing realignment in case im not on the system with the authorisation.

#85 ·
Thanks for the Replies,
kcowan- Can I activate them online? I have always just phoned in to get them activated.
The response I got from the CSR was you can have as many as you want, just not more than 6 activated. I would have to call in to have the ones activated that I want to use and turn the others off etc.

#90 ·
I just want to make sure I have the info available for them if they call so I don't get accused of account splitting. I am back and forth to the cottage so often all year round that I don't feel like calling everytime to activate and de activate, plus I want them working if my brother or sister bring their familie's to my cottage also... I would think they just want the unit ID ?

#94 ·
Just as an FYI, when BTV check the STBs, they have some sort of signal sent to the STB and the only way to see that number would be if you are at the location of the STB hooked to a TV. The STB number is certainly not enough since anyone could copy that to a piece of paper.

We've seen losts of those discussions in the BTV forum, but I don't recall it here in SD.

#97 ·
It is still available. They do not advertise it, you must call them up and ask for the Home Away From Home package. You just need proof of you're second residence (tax or utility bill with your name on it). It will cost you $99 plus tax. They will send you the second dish you need to your primary residence.

#99 ·
HOH & extra dish

Hello I have the HAFH program and a total of 5 receivers active. Is it possible to buy a 3rd dish and use an old spare receiver as well with an RV? Spend time between the cottage and camping in the RV and would really like the ability to have a portable dish for the road!

#102 ·
Is it common for people to have 6 receivers on one account ?? Like in my mind I would think that shaw would get suspicious of account splitting once you get to 5 or 6? am I wrong? Although I suppose if you take into account some people have them in the garage, basment, all bedrooms and living room, maybe it is common ?

#105 ·
Before I gave up and switched to Telus Optik I had 4 receivers at home and 2 at the cabin. Really only used 3 at home but had 4 from the days before I had a PVR. I had 2 receivers at one location with one feeding the TV and one the VCR.

Now I don't have TV service at the cabin any more with Optik but the Home away from Home package (and possibly the Service Reps at SD for the most part) are the ONLY thing that I miss about Shaw Direct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.