Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel quality of ABC SD Detroit? (ghosting)

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  CrazyInSane 
#1 ·
Anyone see the ghosting type images on this network on StarChoice? I wonder does this have to do with how much bandwidth StarChoice gives this network on their systems? Or has it something to do with my receiver specifically?

Is anyone else seeing ghosting and poor quality image on ABC SD Detroit? (I also notice bad quality for other SD US Detroit nets: Fox, NBC, CBS, though CBS is the best of all). Compare this to CTVNewsnet which has a crisp, rich picture.

#3 ·
Hmm, really? Do you subscribe to the Atlantic Value Pak (I see that you're in NB)? I think with this package (which I'm subscribed to) I'm stuck with the Detroit feeds and can't switch to Buffalo or I lose the package benefits.

EDIT: Also, I notice that there's no Fox Buffalo affiliate listed on Star Choice? Do you get Fox in SD?

#4 ·
I have CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS Buffalo, and Fox Rochester. And no I have essentials and a few specialty packages. Usually it is your choice of what feeds you want, no matter what. You can take

Buffalo, Fox Rochester
Detroit
Detroit, Fox Rochester (no Fox Detroit)

CBS and NBC Buffalo have slightly worse PQ than the Detroit versions (just a little light). But ABC is way better. Once ABC got basketball back I had to switch, before I had Detroit.

Give Star Choice a call, maybe they will switch them for you.

#5 ·
Damn, so I have to be torn between the superior CBS & NBC Detroit or the superior ABC Buffalo... or is the PQ of CBS and NBC Buffalo not that bad? I wonder if we could do anything to get StarChoice to up the quality of these signals? The HD feeds of Detroit are all fine.

And why are nets like Newsnet and other Canadian nets usually better PQ than US imports? (compare Newsnet to Fox News Channel). Could this possibly have something to do with CTV/Global paying the BDUs off to desicrate the signal? That's my conspiracy theory.

#9 ·
Hmm, really, that's odd. So you probably only see half of the Fox HD animation because I'm thinking the "HD" text is outside the 4:3 ratio?

On Fox Detroit and Fox Seattle SD they always have the Fox generic bug in the corner of the 4:3 ratio, so I assume they produce their own separate SD broadcast and WUHF does not. I'm not sure if you saw the thread where I said I contacted them about their annoying red opaque bug on their HD feed, but they said they'd be changing this within February, so it's due any day now. Maybe we'll be seeing a generic Fox logo on the SD feed soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.