Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 500 Discussion

117K views 449 replies 110 participants last post by  net29091 
#1 ·
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.

#437 ·
I have a Zinwell WB68, lots on eBay. $25 or less includes shipping. No extra power supply required. Lots of others here on this forum will also attest to the functionality of this multiswitch with SC.

4 in, 8 out. There are actually 6 in but 2 ports are ignored for the SC setup.

#438 ·
Thanks Rib and SMP01,
I contacted Eagle Aspen and they said that their multiswitch would not pass MPEG4 signal but Zinwell's does so I ordered a WB68 on Ebay ( $15.00) I installed it tonigh and everything is fine. Just waiting for *c to answer my call to activate my new 505.

Bye for now

#446 ·
receiver sucks

well, I bought Starchoice service 2005, I think. and then I was forced to change the receiver for better HD thing. The later receiver I think is 505. It did not work well at the very beginning, like rebooting itself, changing channels itself.... and finally it stopped working. the problem is it cannot boot. you can see the four led bars flash repeatedly from the bottom to the top. i called the customer service twice and followed their instructions, but could not have it fixed.
It is my fault that I am too lazy+busy to have the technician come to my house until I realized the warranty was expired. I am so stupid that I thought it is life time warranty.
I am looking for a replacement, but it seemed I have to pay same price as the whole system to by a receiver! it is ridiculous!!

#447 ·
hi jayden, so when did this exactly happen? if you had the service 2005, then you upgraded to the dsr505, when did it become defective?

the receivers comes with 1 year manufacturer's warranty, if you have multiple receivers, then they are still covered a limited lifetime warranty. now depending on your package (platinum choice+ up), even with only one receiver, it would still be covered with a limited lifetime warranty.

the option does not end there, if you only have a single receiver and a plan of gold choice or below, you can add a Single Receiver Charge for $2.49 for at least 1 year to cover your receiver's warranty (that's $29.88 for 1 year).

so you don't have to pay the same price as the whole system as you have mentioned.

did you even try calling them?

#448 ·
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd try here. I just got a DSR 505 for my cottage, and got an Asus 25.5" pc monitor to watch it on - the monitor has built in speakers, and both hdmi and component inputs...I'm using component. I hooked it up last night, and activated the receiver - and picture and sound are great. My question is about synching the starchoice remote with the monitor for volume. The monitor doesn't have a remote - so the only way to adjust the volume is to change it manually with the buttons just below the screen. Looking in the starchoice remote manual - I don't see Asus' name mentioned anywhere as far as codes go, to be able to control the volume with the starchoice remote. Does anyone know if this is possible to do ?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

mookie

#449 ·
It's a computer monitor and not a TV monitor. They don't often have remotes.
As you mentioned, it's doesn't have a remote control, therefore not likely to have an Ir sensor that some other remote could work with.
I'm afraid the remote has to be your fingertips on this one.

#450 ·
Hey Moose57, thanks for your answer - I figured that going to be the deal when I bought it...sure would be nice if they started making more monitors with remotes. But I guess I could always hook this up to an audio receiver that has a remote - have to start shopping around for one of those.

Thanks again,

mookie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.