Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#146 ·
My 505 did a self reboot twice tonight, once when I was going throught the menus, and once when I was in the middle of a show. After both reboots I couldn't get channels 276,277,279. I also seem to get interuptions with both sound and video during the evening ever since the install 2 or so weeks ago. I guess I should check all my connections for the sound/video issues but the evening shift screws up my free time.

#150 ·
"The very first thing you want to do when the phone rings and you are watching TV is to pause it!"

I found a way to avoid the problem.
You have to jump on the remote and press pause before the second ring. It works every time. But I'm glad my phone doesn't ring this much... ;-) This is the Starchoice way to prevent you from becoming a couch potato. Thank you SC.

#151 ·
My 530 Died Yesterday, RIP

Haven't seem many people reporting that their 530's have packed it in however sadly mine did yesterday. This was my first 530 which I purchased back on June of 05 about a month after they came out. It's been a long and interesting ride. The early software versions were bugy as hell but after a couple of updates it became quite stable. It even surived the BC killer code. The last thing that was recorded and we watched on it was the Olympic opening ceremonies. The next day, Saturday I found it continously rebooting. No amount of resets or pulling the plug helped. Yesterday I had some time and I went through some tests with a SC CSR, but it wasn't even stable enough to get through the options screen to do a factory reset. He quickly offered to send me a replacement. He was surprised to see that this was the only one I had ever had. It's too bad, I'll miss some of the saved movies I had, my oldest one was Night at the Rockberry, recorded June 2005. I know it's a stupid movie, but my son would never let me erase it. Hopefully my replacement will get here soon.

#152 ·
New code soon??

Has anyone heard anything about when the next code update is happening?

I got the annual, "we're raising prices and this is why" notice on my statement and it promises an expanded 7 day searchable guide... this year.

Last I heard ARR had expected it to happen in the first quarter of this year, which didn't happen. Of course the CSR's have no idea, only offering the feeble "I'm sure it will be soon"

I'm so tired of being stuck with three days and searching manually for programs... is SC ever going to actually offer the expanded guide and search function? I'm pretty sure my price raise notice for last year promised these same things too....

#153 ·
I had a response back in the winter from ask Jim that it would be at the end of Q2 I guess that there have been some delays I lost the 7day guide and the search when I came to *C. Im still glad I switched for many reasons but it would be nice to have a better guide.

#155 ·
Wouldn't it be nice...?

Yes, wouldn't it be nice to finally get the long-promised guide update. Tonight I checked out "Avanti" with Jack Lemmon on 586, and the info was so brief as to be unfathomable: Exec meets daughter of woman who died with father. Wha... ?

It's not that hard, people: I get far more info from various TV websites, for free, than I will ever get from this "interactive guide" piece of you-know-what. Exactly how long have they been promising these improvements?

#156 ·
Why gang it up with complex iTV stuff?

We've been waiting forever for the rather basic PVR functions of a searchable 7 day guide--Why not offer it up as a peace offering now and hit us with iTV stuff a bit later.

I personally could care less about iTV. I like TV for TV, I'll do the rest on my laptop.

Don't get me wrong, I love *C -- I switched from evil cable and haven't looked back, but I'm tired of being mocked by friends with cable PVRs for my lame "StarChoice says those functions are coming soon..." which I've been offering up for like two years now.

Lets not even talk about true dual record.... when's that coming?

#158 ·
Replacement 530 and software update

Well I posted a couple of days ago that my 530 had died. I received my replacement yesterday and while I was authorizing it I asked the CSR about when the next update was coming out. At first she said that the unit was being updated all the time and that I should always turn it off at night in case an update comes down! I told her that I would turn off the unit at night, but that there hadn't been an update in over a year. She then said that the next "major" update would introduce some interactive features that used "those little coloured buttons". I told her I hoped that basic functions would be addressed such as not being able to pause live TV when the call display is on the screen, and the fact that the first pause of live TV actually jumps it back 21 seconds. She didn't know about either of these to bugs, but suggested I submit them to "Ask Jim". I didn't want to give her too bad a time, since my replacement receiver arrived in 2 days, and she was very good about getting it authorized. I just think it's interesting how little the CSR's know about the bugs with the 530 and the software history.

#161 ·
Hmm, so new code update for November-December? Well I can live with that.

It would be inconvenient for it to happen during November sweeps unless it happens seamlessly (what are the odds?) but December is a big black hole of programming, so that sounds like an ideal time for new code to hit.

Thanks for the info -- I also find that I always know more from this forum than the CSRs do! Maybe more of them should read this forum -- perhaps make it part of the job requirement?

#162 ·
Mine died too

Haven't been here for a while because things had been going so well. Until this weekend, that is. Like jcol I watched the opening ceremonies, then started having continuous reboots. Could the Chinese be to blame, perhaps some virus from the games? Anyway, managed a factory reset Friday night, managed to keep it going through the weekend so long as it wasn't on more than about 2 hours, then it died completely. Bought it in November 2005, so I got almost 3 years. Replacement arrived in 2 days and so far it is working, though there is still nothing on TV worth watching. Guess a new receiver won't change that. Athletics start tonight and track cycling tomorrow, so things are looking up. Are gymnastics and diving done, please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.