Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion Thread

1M views 3K replies 468 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 when it becomes available on September 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our New 630 In Pre Order

Edit by 57: Here's a thread summarizing problems, issues, resolutions, workarounds:

Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

#2,406 ·
I had a new glitch. Watching a recording and recording one other show, up comes the warning that a manual timer is about to start recording. and gives the usual options. I choose dismiss but then the TV switches to the manual recording. I switch back to my other recording.

(The manual timer is required because the guide option of record new episodes records several repeats of the same show each day. I assume that is because the show in coded as all old shows in the guide. A nice option would be to record only the first replication of an old show each day. This is a big problem recording old seasons of HBO series.)

#2,407 · (Edited)
FOUND the reboots solution

I think I FINALLY found out the main cause of theses reboots. If the DVR or PVR list is open on start of new recordings the 630 is unable to start the recording and then reboot. Just make sure you are not in the recording list on starting time of new recordings.

The delay on recording start is due to the correction they make after a complaint about multiple reboots. They ask you to do "OPTION 649886" witch is a factory reset that erases all you programming. And then they make a change to the 630 that causes theses delays. After that you you are good to pay 15$ for shipping a "new" used an not functionnal 630 they will ask you to factory reset a week later...

Told them this issue a week ago. Could not talk to technical escalation since I am on their Blacklist.

#2,413 ·
Like Gary said it is only on listening that you can skip ads. My favorite settings are 240s foward and 20s backward.

One new improvement I discovered is that on listening you can press numbers on your remote before pressing skip back or forth to move by the number you typed.

Example: type "12" then "skip" back or forth to move 12 minutes back or forth.

Another improvement is to skip 15 minutes back or forth press channel up to foward 15 min and channel down to rewind 15 min.

#2,412 ·
You can't skip ads while recording but you can program the jump ahead button from the 30 second default to maybe jump ahead 90 seconds or 120 seconds ahead when playing back in "Options-5". Same with skip back but generally I left the jump back button at 10 or 15 seconds.

#2,417 ·
I got a nice surprise this weekend with the receiver losing all my timers and recorded shows info.
Got a nice alert in my mailbox that because of an irreparable error the database was corrupt and was deleted.
Spent a considerable amount of time to set up the timers again and now I have my dvr full of recorded shows with no description in them.

For those that have regular crashes you better do a backup of your timers asap.

#2,419 ·
After the catastrophic crash that erase the database and timers I have to say that the receiver has not crashed once since.
So I am wondering if the database got corrupted at some point and thats what was causing all the crashes.
It also feels snappier too although I am at 98% capacity right now but that could be because the database is now fresh and likely small in size.
I wonder if the receiver trims it to keep it efficient or if it just becomes bloated over time.

JasperJoe there is a backup option in the options menu. Check it out.

#2,420 ·
630 signal problems???

Ok I'll try to explain this as best as I can. I moved to a new home and hooked up my 630 and it will not keep channels. I checked the signal and the strength is in the high 90's but the quality is only in the high 50' s maybe low 60' s.
Dish is well mounted and coax is new and the proper stuff. If I hook up an old receiver non hd it works fine on all channels it will receive.
I also have already got a new reciver from Shaw. I think I covered everything oh it's not the new lnb and its says a9 for satellite name

#2,424 ·
New behaviour: last night while watching the Survivor season finale about 30 minutes behind real time while recording, playback froze. Couldn't do anything with the remote. The 630 still had the red record light on but there was no way to tell if it was actually recording. My 605 was still working. Anyway, I bit the bullet and did a hard reset and lost 5 minutes while it rebooted (mostly commercials by chance). Turns out it WAS still recording - we just had a 5 minute gap in playback. It's been working fine ever since. Wonder why it did that?

#2,427 ·
Yep!!! One thing about the 630 is that you never know what is going to happen or when? However I find that is freezes quite frequently, pixilation on TSN2 is very bad, pixilation while recording another and it always seems to be just when you don not want it to happen!!

Not impressed with SD equipment and the fact that on Jan 1st we are going to have a increase just pisses me off!!!!:(

#2,474 ·
To follow up on my post of January 5th;

I installed and set up the SD dish and a 4X8 multiswitch with the two new 630s myself.

Everything works perfectly and all the SD people I spoke with were fantastic, that is fantastic once we got past the fact no contract installer was going to be allowed to set foot on my property (that's another story).

So I went on to buy #3 630 and it functions perfectly as well. All three PVRs have been trouble free in the three rooms so far.

I switched from Shaw Cable to SD to take advantage of the service for my RV. I'll be setting that up later next month.

I must say I am much happier with SD than I ever was with SC and looking forward to watching Jimmy Fallon by the campfire real soon! That's what I call camping ;-)~

#2,432 ·
slow response time.

I don't have any rebooting issues, in fact I've had no issues with my 630 and I've had it for a couple years now............until..........recently.

Channel changes. It takes forever for the receiver to change the channel and have the picture come up when I change channels. Even if I type the full number in, it takes awhile for it to actually change the channel. Painfully slow. It never used to do this, until as I say, started last month or so. Anyone else experience this?

My 600's are all still fine.