Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#795 ·
Thank you all. All I want is to get a second receiver working down south. We moved wihin Canada in June of 2012 and went KU band when the tech installed the new dish in Canada. The 530 continued working in TX thru April of 2014 when we left there last spring. We have a 75Cm dish there which we bought from a 3rd party. I have a couple of old receivers here, 505's I think. I guess they are mapped to the new satellite too. Is there any way I could take one of them to TX ? How would I get them converted back ? How about getting a new receiver ? Do they come mapped to the new satellite or could they be set up for the old system ?

#796 ·
All receivers attached to your account will (should) have been remapped to the XKu. That means that nothing in Texas should be working at all. You can't convert between the two, the mapping is tied to your account, not to the receiver. So you will have to convert the Texas dish to the XKu LNB, then any of your receivers will work.

I have seen posts from a few people who have managed somehow to maintain both mappings but it is not supposed to happen. The fact that you went XKu in canada in 2013 (presumably) and the TX dish was still working in April 2014 indicates you might be one of the lucky ones, and your existing dish/receiver in Texas might continue to work, at least for a while.

#798 ·
Can someone provide some feedback on this scenario:
Say a person is outside Canada, has bought a receiver and dish from a 3rd party and now wants to activate it directly with Shaw.
The person has no problem in providing a Canadian address and ph number, but the CSR says that since she will be a new customer she has to (i.e. she has no other choice but to) buy a receiver directly from Shaw, the CSR presses to send an installer to the address but is eventually convinced not to.
Is it true that a new customer is required to buy a receiver directly from Shaw?
Can´t just a receiver and dish bought from a 3rd party be activated with a new account?

#800 ·
So I am getting a bit confused again about this. I have an XKU lnb at home in Canada installed in early 2011 and a dual quad in Mesa, installed late 2011 and activated via Shaw. Left house in April and it was working just fine, do not bring back to Canada leave it at house plugged in and so far so good.
Now i read that SHAW are mapping everyone’s accounts to XKU, is this correct and if so should I take down a 75cm XKU lnb just in case along with an activated receiver from Canada. I have a spare brand new one purchased just in case.
Finally how easy or difficult is it to replace the LNB on a 75cm dish.

Thanks in advance.

#801 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think some folks are mistaken. IMHO Shaw only will be changing those who contact them with issues, or raise their profile in some manner. People in your situation should simply hide in the weeds and not contact Shaw. (This opinion applies to all former Home & Away accounts - not just those who have setups outside Canada)

As far as taking gear with you as insurance, that would certainly minimize your risks. Replacing an LNB is a simple task as long as getting to the Dish is not onerous. ;)

#802 ·
Thanks Jim that is exactly what I intended doing, will take some equipment down just in case. What happens if I call Shaw from Canada to activate a receiver, will they say something about 2lnbs on my account or just active. Activated a pvr a few months ago and nothing was said. Guess it all depends eh.

Many thanks

#803 ·
Jim - I think this is a case of YMMV....
I know at least two people in Mexico who found their receiver/dish setup did not work when they travelled down there. But I suspect at least one of them, maybe both, had a "rehit" from Shaw and this is what caused the problem.
What is certain (as certain as is possible with Shaw) is that if you have a receiver at home on an XKu setupand move it to a non-XKu setup it won't work.

#806 ·
"Is it true that a new customer is required to buy a receiver directly from Shaw? "

I didn't have to. Somebody gave me a 60cm dish with xku LNB and 2 x HD receivers and 1 SD receiver. I had to give the serial numbers to Shaw Direct, installed the dish myself and I was up and running the same day.

#810 ·
We just up-graded from two 505's with XKU to a 600 and 630 w/XKU and we get BC1 now ...so I think BC1 is on G1. I read some ware the tweaking for the lnb to get G1 is sensitive also. In southern bc for BC1 we are getting 91 and 10.1db.
I saw a map for G1 and it doesn't go much below the latitude of Victoria.
Does this help?

#819 ·
60 dish was so so, upgraded to 75. Older LNB, not the upgrade. No more pixelization, including HD. Typical signal strength >78%, >5 dB, ranging into the 90's on some channels. Worth the $$ in southern AZ.

BTW, 60 LNB will work with a 75 dish, but not vice-versa apparently.

#820 ·
I would use the 75 but it does not fit well in the rv compartment. The 60 gave readings of about 68-78 and 3-5 on HD and much better(90) on almost all SD channels. Recorded and watched almost all HD programming.
Anyway I have returned but had 2 months with all but one recording successful. One"disappeared" for some reason.
630 did well,,,,now I'm in for it.

#821 ·
Hey all,

Looking through all the forum, but I am getting pretty confused about if/what I can do to get a Shaw Direct satellite signal in Mexico (Mazatlan).

The Mexico building people currently get Shaw Satellite service now (I was watching it just a few days ago), and are currently in the process of putting even a larger dish on the roof for multiple residents to share.

So, can I just call up Shaw Direct (cancel my Telus Optik) and get them to connect the receivers in my Edmonton home, and then disconnect one to bring South and get the satellite folks in MX to connect my receiver to the switch on the roof?

They mentioned down in MX about pulling the signal off a satellite that serves Brazil, and not the Canadian satellites...but I could have misunderstood.

#822 ·
Wait till MX install is done. Must find out what LNB/sat set-up they are using (2 or 3 sats). Probably the older one that will not pick up the latest satellite due to footprint (2 sats).

When you get back home, you will have to install the equivalent system (2 or 3 sats) or else your channel map will not be the same and you will be missing a lot. The Shaw current default is probably the 3-sat system.

If the MX system is the newer 3-sat, call Shaw and get them to install whatever you want to order.

If the MX system is 2-sat, then I suggest finding a used 2-sat dish/LNB + receiver. Then call the mother ship and tell them you got this system used and want to open an account and get it installed and set-up.

Once you're up and running, buy another receiver, hook it up to your system and get it authorized. One or the other receiver can then probably just be left down in MX permanently connected.

Do not mention anything about MX--- "home-away-from-home" has been discontinued courtesy of CRTC. No support. No service. You can't even call them from there if you have a problem.