Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread

325K views 1K replies 235 participants last post by  P2B 
#1 ·
This thread is for frustrated members to air their beefs and grievances over Shaw Direct.

If you have a technical problem that needs solving, please check out other threads, as this one is just for rants and complaints.

Please Note:

Although this thread is for rants and complaints, you are still expected to follow the rules of the forum when you post so No swearing, no oversized fonts, images etc.

#462 ·
What's up with there customer service these last couple of days?
Yesterday I tried using there on line service to add two pick and pay channels.
Got an error didn't work,phoned and finally got a customer rep.
Thought it was added and today the channels are unsubscribe again.
Went through the whole thing again today ,
Same thing ,on line service update does not work.

Got put on hold on the phone and after 10 mins they hung up on me:confused:

Got through this morning via the phone all fixed up.
I had a great Rep,very helpful.

#463 ·
Finally done with Shaw Direct!

So after being a beta tester for Starchoice/Shaw Direct for the last 15+ yrs, the back & forth shipping of 8 or 9 bad PVR’s, countless frustrating hours spent on Tech support, ridiculous increases, zero loyalty, I’m done.

I managed to get my package down to a respectable price, not a heavy tv watcher, but I love my hockey. Included in my package are all the Sportsnet SD channels, the “new” Sportsnet in HD, & all TSN in HD. Although I have Sportsnet Pacific in SD (the only one I watch for Canucks) I don’t get it in HD. So ok, I know I’m already forced to buy a HD Sports package to watch my one channel so I order it $6.99, should be good right?

Nope, not with Shaw, apparently my package doesn’t allow me to get Sportsnet HD, "Huh?" unless of course I also get another sportsbundle at $4.99, even though I already have SD Sportsnet and HD Sports @ $6.99, which is supposed to give you HD Sportsnet, TSN, etc.

So in order for me to get Sportsnet Pacific in HD, (the only “one” sports channel I don’t get in HD), I would have to pay an additional $12 a month. Un-freakin believable! What happened to if you have it in SD, just add HD package, it’s a blatant rip-off. This is the worst I have ever encountered, I actually still can’t believe this is legal. I thought extortion was a crime.

Also, believe it or not Sportsnet HD is included with basic standard package with their own Shaw TV.

The government can’t be quick enough to put these crooks in their place. No wonder they’re so worried about pick & pay. They’ll finally be breaking the law by trying to pull this crap. I’m also sending a copy of this email to the government because this is exactly what they are trying to protect us from. I urge everyone to do the same.

Worst yet, loyalty means nothing, after everything I’ve put up with for 15 yrs, always paid on time, even recommended them, it's sickening. I didn’t even bother speaking with retention, they won’t care, my mthly bill isn’t high enough. If that even matters anymore? I’ll be cancelling with-in guidelines in order to not get charged & to give myself 30 days to decide on new provider. Any suggestions on Telus vs Bell?

#464 ·
I went with Telus after a similar line of frustration. I had Bell before Shaw and gave them up for frustrations with them.
I think they are all similar and each has its own tricks and cheats to get you to pay the most they can squeeze out of you. With Telus I got a package that included a new TV and have had no problems with the reception. I do have a problem with the remote they give you.. And, they force you into bundles that give you ONE must have channel.
My overall monthly bill came down a bit.. but I elected less programming, on the other hand they upped my internet speed so browsing is a lot faster.

#466 ·
Monkeygirl: You need to specify Telus what versus Bell what. Both offer IPTV and Satellite TV and we don't know where you are located which would help narrow it down.

Ralph2 is talking Telus Optik (IPTV) and sawguyg is talking Telus/Bell Satellite TV.

I finally switched from Shaw D to Telus Optik about 4 years ago now out of frustration with 11 years of Shaw Direct. I worked for Telus so got an employee discount as well but in my opinion, the Telus Optik experience blows Shaw Direct away. I am writing this while vacationing in Hawaii. An hour or so ago I set up a bunch of recording events for the new season of TV programs so they will be waiting for me when I get home.

Terry

#468 · (Edited)
#469 ·
Rant

What`s with this new guide? Real user friendly. You have to go to Parental Controls to edit the guide. Who thought that one up?????? When you edit a duplicate channel out it wipes all of the same channel out across the whole guide. The previous guide was fine. Do they not try this thing out before they it ram down all the customers throats?

#470 ·
Although there are a few good innovations the new guide in my opinion is a disaster. Some aspects are very difficult to read if eyesight is below par (especially the bright highlighted headings) and the loss of the old favorites and replacing it with a stupid owners system is awful. The worst thing though is the dozens of clicks needed to add or remove a station from the owners list.The duplicate programming is ridiculous too. It would be great if programmers would retain the good aspects when changing systems and improve the poorer items in any program. It is akin to Microsoft getting rid of the much loved "Start" in Windows 8 which must have cost Microsoft millions in revenue. It makes me wonder how such highly intelligent people can be so stupid.

#474 ·
The lack of both CBC and CTV News in HD is among the several reasons why I am leaving Shaw Direct (along with the VOD that never works!). It's kind of ironic that Shaw Direct is using space themed characters as mascots when both Bell Fibe and Rogers Cable are "light years" ahead in technology and keeping up with HD content.

#476 ·
Unwatchable pixellation

Recorded 'The Flash' on CTVHD. Had to delete and d/l due to extreme pixellation during 'fast scenes' (oh the irony)

Probably due to CTV's compression.

#477 ·
New shaw direct price increase

I see Shaw Direct has announced a new price increase for Jan. 1st 2015. They justify it because of a wonderful new guide and more VOD. I can't even watch a Canadian national news channel in HD. They lost 6600 subscribers in past year, will be interesting to see if this adds to it. At least they won't be able to use their 30 day cancelation policy much longer. good day to all!

#481 ·
There are a lot of legacy receivers out there. To switch channels to HD only will require hardware be upgraded to the latest HD models, to start. To get to the point where the majority of customers have new HD receivers so legacy SD can get shut off, will take years. And it will cost money to send those receivers out, and upgrade dishes.

#482 ·
NHL Hockey on SN

Not sure if this is a SD issue or not,but I have noticed this a few times now.
When I check the guide to see if there is a NHL game on SN a couple of hours before game time it shows no game.
Go back less then an hour before game time and it shows up in the guide?
Anyone else notice this?

#483 ·
I've begin to cut my programming to reduce my bill as out of work and coming to the end of EI soon. I took out the time-shift bundle for $5.99. A few days later I see on SDs website that very bundle offered for .$0.99 pr. month for 6 months. Now why didn't the person say hey here's a deal, you can cut $5 and keep the programming. I find Shaw is not interested in having good relations with their long term customers just bring in new ones.

#484 ·
I see the same thing Romany and I believe it to be coming from Sportsnet. I have a season guide as to the games they intend to broadcast. Sometimes the games are changed to different teams, games are added or (not very often) no game at all. On the bottom of the page is the tag line subject to change.