Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Multiswitch Discussions

214K views 389 replies 106 participants last post by  frenchophile 
#1 ·
When we ordered our 630 yesterday, our deal included the installation of a multiswitch. I'm not sure if it's the 4 X 8 or the 5 X 8. Anyway, I must admit, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of it is. We will have four lines when the installation is complete. My understanding from what I've read here is that you need all four lines to use the multiswitch. We will then have a 630, a 530 and a 505. That's why we received the multiswitch. So, let's say we plug in all three receivers. What is the benefit of this? We still only have the programming available on four separate feeds at the same time, right? It isn't like we suddenly have eight separate feeds available to us just because we have the multiswitch, right? So, in theory, we can record two things on the 630, one thing on the 530 and watch the other feed off the 530. That's four. What can the 505 do separately from this if it's plugged into the multiswitch? Do you understand what I'm asking? I know this may seem like a lame question, but honestly I don't understand it and the threads I've read don't clarify it for me. By the way, I'm also happy to read an explanatory thread. If someone knows of one, that would be great if you would paste in the thread.

The Hans

#279 ·
Thanks for suggested installation diagram.
It appears to me that this configuration would be for 8 series 630 Shaw
receivers as each one requires 2 inputs. It is a dual PVR unit and supplies a 22kc tone to switch the xku satellite. Does this tone present any problems.
Is my assumption about 8 receivers correct? If so, can this configuration be expanded to handle an additional 8 receivers ?

#280 · (Edited by Moderator)
beaubo,

If you follow the diagram above it will work fine for 8 630s and it's probably the most cost effective solution. The Multiswitches add the 22Khz tone at the correct voltages. You don't have to use Eagle Aspen devices as there are lots of equivalents out there. Perhaps there is a diagram in this thread that shows a 16 output configuration as I don't have one.

#283 ·
Hello all,
I'm just attempting to hook up a second receiver at my house. I don't have the complications of a PVR, both my receivers are basic. I only have one line running from the LNB and just picked up a Aspen Eagle 4x2 multiswitch. Are there any steps I'm missing? Some channels come in and others state that the receiver has lost connection.

#286 ·
I'm planning on adding a 4th receiver - I currently have a 630 (2 coax), a 605 (1 coax) and something SD (1 coax).

Do I need a multiswitch or is there some way I can use a diplexer to combine the 2 feeds to the 630 and free up one for the new receiver?

I suspect the answer is no. If 'no' and I have to add a multiswitch, do I understand correctly that I can eliminate one cable run to my 630 by using diplexer(s)?

#292 ·
630 and dual stacked dish

Hi All, 2nd time typing this (stupid computer)

I have replaced a dead 505 with a new 630. I have a dual stacked dish. 505 used to connect through a 2x1 22kHz switch. Now of course I need a second line. Based on reading here, this is what I got.

4 x 4 unpowered switch with the following inputs:
- 13v/0Hz
- 13v/22kHz
- 18v/0Hz
- 18v/22kHz

supports 750-2150 GHz

A poster here once said that plugging the lnb feeds into the 13V/0Hz and 13V/22kHz inputs on a 4x4 or 4x8 switch should work no problem.

I get some channels and strange results by moving the lnb feeds around to different inputs.

I see that the vcode on my 630 is set to 4320. I thought it should be 4377 or other such code for dual stacked system. SD tech person on phone says 4320 should work fine for my dish, but I don't know. I didn't think so.

I am going to test this switch with a 505 on the other side of the house which is on a separate dual stack dish. It has a 4377 code.

Whats up, any ideas?

#294 ·
The issue you have is not a switch but your LNB, it is probably a big Y shaped lnb with only two outputs like AllanB mentioned, and just won't work. The 630 is an mpeg4 receiver, so you will require Shaw's XKu lnb to be able to get those extra channels on the 3rd satellite. Give them a call see what they can do for you. That new Lnb has switches built in and will allow you to connect two more receivers or one more dual tuner receiver, you may want to keep your 505 on account as that only cost $5 per month and gives you extended coverage on replacement.

#295 ·
I am not looking for the third sat or more channels at this time. I just want to see the channels I had with the broken 505 and still see with the other receivers.

I have a 605 and a 401 both hooked up to the second dual stacked dish on the other side of the house and it works as expected with all the channels from a 2x2 switch. Also working fine is a 505 from a 2x1 switch on the same dish.

This is my setup - 2 dual stacked dishes

Dish 1 - hi freq. splitter from each lnb feed going to 2x2 and 2x1 22kHz switches.

This feeds 605, 505, and 401 receivers.

Dish 2 - used to have 2x2 switch running a 505 and a 401. Now has the new switch I mentioned to give me more outputs so that I can have two lines going to the 630 and one to the 401.

There is no reason to have 4 lines going into a multiswitch with the dual stacked dish.

I still think with the right vcode on the 630 it should work. This dish works no problem with the 605 which is really just a single tuner non-pvr version of the 630.

If and when I decide I want PPV or Sunday Ticket or some channel from the third sat I don't get now, I will upgrade my dishes and change my setup. But there is no need right now.

This should work, should it not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.