Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1

159K views 267 replies 80 participants last post by  SCBob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

See this post for full details:

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - no new applications - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

---------------

Something interesting that the V.P said about Global switch to digital (go at 3:05 if you're impatient) is that they are going to offer free satellite, receiver and installation to clients in remote area with the base channels for free. This might mean that they are planning on distributing via FTA (hopefully they will not encrypt those base stations) the available local channels.

So for those of you loosing completely the signal, there still hope...

See less See more
#206 ·
The package of $9.99 is what my father was offered and took them up on, however it worked out to approximately $10.85 with taxes, went to $11.85 for December and will be going up $2 in 2014. So in reality it is a discount of $24/month for 2 years from the Digital Lite package or any upgrades you make. The only stipulation was you could go back to LTSS, but could not return to the Digital Lite promo a second time.
Still a good deal but because I pay my dad's bill, I am a little ticked at the price increases! But as long as he is happy!:D

#207 ·
LTSS Install

A couple of years ago I tried to find out info. on this from the Shaw website, but there was very little on it. This thread cleared everything up.

I'm OTA at home (Brantford) which works well, but my place up north lost a few channels with the Digital transition. Down to 2 channels reliably, and a third (Global) on occasion. Tried many antennas set-ups without success.

Did the online chat at Shaw, recived an HD600 and have an install scheduled next week.

Thanks to all for the info. Looks like there actually is something close to a "free lunch" after all.
Cheers.

#208 ·
Hi all,
I had a long chat with CBC public relations this afternoon...mainly to complain about the lack of a local CBC OTA signal in the greater London area...
They were kind enough to offer up the Shaw LTSS service.
I did call Shaw and the program is indeed still up and running until the end of November 2014.
I have just received and filled out the form and will be sending off to Shaw in the AM.
The things we do to keep our significant others in Coronation Street when we cut the cable cord :D

#212 ·
Yes, I eventually self installed mine after a go around with a cancelled install and a dish that was shipped to me then picked up by persons' unknown.

You have to be specific about your service location when you call in to get the form emailed to you. If you ask about self install right up front, you may get lucky and speak with a CSR who will check for installers in the area while you are on the phone.

If not, you will have to try again after they send out your receiver. Normal process is for you to call to schedule an install once you have your box, then they have the installer bring out the dish.

#215 ·
LTSS is closed for new applications

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/bulletins
The Canadian Transition to Digital Television.

The Government of Canada and the Canadian Radio–television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) have mandated that over-the-air television transmission must switch from analog to digital in many parts of Canada.

The majority of Canadians will not be affected. That's because more than 90% of Canadians receive their television signals through a cable or satellite provider. If you subscribe to a cable or satellite television service, such as Shaw Cable or Shaw Direct, or view your programming via the Internet, you will not be affected by this transition.

Viewers who watch local television stations using rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna may experience a loss of service. There are two ways that your television stations may be affected:
  • Over-the-air signals have been converted from analog to digital.
  • Shut down of analog over-the-air television transmitters.
In Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-782 (“Decision 2010-782”), the Commission approved a $15M benefits proposal by Shaw Communications Inc.(“Shaw”) for Shaw Direct to provide a satellite-delivered package of relevant local and regional over-the-air television stations to up to 31,500 households that had relied upon and lost access to a local station following the digital television transition. The program was entitled the Local Tele-vision Satellite Solution or LTSS and is scheduled to stop enrolling new households as of August 31, 2014.

Key dates

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

#216 ·
I just received my HD 600 RTC receiver, but there's no remote in the box. WTF?!
I called Shaw and got the run around. First agent offered to sell me a remote due to the fact that LTSS was such a great deal they wouldn't send one for free. I called back and the next agent is escalating a request to Business Dept.

Has this happened to anyone else?

#220 ·
They should have e-mailed it to you. If not send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will try to dig up the copy that they sent me. I have the receiver but never bothered to call for installation. I guess I should get on that. I too am worried about where they are putting the dish and the conduit coming into my house already has two coax cables in it, not sure if a 3rd one will fit. :(

#218 ·
Well, just got mine installed in Vancouver. All channels SD except APTN (which isn't officially on the list), no extra channels (no weather network, etc).

All the channels in "free preview" mode for regular people show as subscribed to in the guide, but if I navigate to them I get the not subscribed message. Annoying. I used parental controls to block it out.

Don't know if I like where the dish is installed, but due to all the trees in the area I don't have a lot of choice. I suppose I'll get used to it.

Other notes: Has anyone successfully registered for My Account on the Shaw Direct website? Doesn't work for me. Sorta want to just so I can see if I get CTV GO.

#224 ·
Upgraded your LTSS? No going back now...

Just an update… I got called about the $14.99 LTSS upgraded package, and verified that I can go back to LTSS at anytime. The person on the phone said “no”. So I double-checked with a chat agent this morning:

Madelaine (08:55:08):
Right now, if you upgrade to the $14.99/month LTSS package, you can no longer go back to the non-pay LTSS package. The program ended and the codes will not be available to put back once we remove it to add the $14.99/month package.
So there you have it, no going back now if you upgrade to the LTSS $14.99 package. I suspect people who upgraded before the “codes went away” are equally screwed… though I suspect if they complained loudly enough the request would go to the back office and they would have IT revert the service.

Easy decision for me then…

#225 ·
upgraded package

I took the upgraded package, and the woman at the phone told me that i can't go back to LTSS.
It's Ok for me.
I also took the "time shift" for 0.99 $ for the first six months, and 4,99$ after.
I think it's a good deal : all the channels i wanted for more or less 20$...

The OTA signal was too unstable at the cottage

#226 ·
Just an FYI for LTSS customers.

I'm a private satellite contractor. I recently did a service call for a lady using the LTSS service.

Her cable had been accidentally cut outside by contractors working on her building.

When she called Shaw for a service call, she was told Shaw does NOT do service calls for LTSS customers.

#227 ·
Shaw LTSS final report

Shaw allocated $15 million for 31,500 households. For the reasons explained in the report, Shaw installed 35,682 units and is requesting the additional costs be allocated from the New Media benefit.

Summary of LTSS final accounting

UNIT |35,682
Admin Cost |5,125,000
Receiver & Dish Cost |5,004,419
Installation Cost |4,145,250
Marketing |791,843
Total |15,066,512

Source: CRTC ZIP file containing PDFs https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocWebBroker/OpenDocument.aspx?AppNo=201510347

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.