Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 Owners Discussion Thread

194K views 349 replies 109 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new Shaw Direct HDDSR 605 when it becomes available on November 1st.

Please post your thoughts and your feedback on this unit once you have it up and running.

For non-owners, you can ask questions about the unit in our DSR 605 now available thread.

Please note posts from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

#258 ·
Quote "4-5 days ago this escalated to where he could only watch for about 10 minutes before the receiver would reboot itself."

I am having the exact same problem.
I have a hddsr 605 receiver.
I have a 75cm dish with a quad LNB
I have 95 signal on SAT B and 93 signal on SAT A
This happens without changing any channels or any remote action

It worked fine a week ago. yesterday was trying to watch the Football game and it keeped rebooting. Could never watch more than 10 min at a time. sometimes it would reboot after a couple of mins.

Things I have tried. Replaced the entire coax Cable from Lnb to receiver. Tried all LNb outputs. Tried Different Receiver Power supply. Tried different A/V outputs on receiver.

Problem Still exists. Please help. This Started happening around the same time as the previous poster. Can't just be a coincidence

#259 ·
Has anyone seen this problem? On our 605, infrequently (like once a month or so)

displaying MENU - REMINDERS -UPCOMING, the display lists the programs in alphabetical order instead of the normal date/time order.

The only way I can 'fix' it is by doing a power off/reset or wait overnight and it self corrects.

Anyone seen this and found a fix?

John

#260 ·
I wrote to Shaw Direct and got the following answer - turns out it is an undocumented feature - use the left/right arrows to change the sort sequence.

John

If you are in the upcoming menu and press the left or right arrow buttons (next to the enter/ok button) it will change how the list is filtered. So if “Date and Time” is in yellow, it is currently sorting by date/time and if “Program Name” is in yellow it is sorting alphabetically. To correct this just press your left/right arrow button until you get to the desired order that you want.

#261 ·
anyone know if the DSR605 is still available from Shaw as an upgrade from a DSR505? I realize they discontinued it, but has anyone asked specifically for one and received a 605? I need the component outs and visual clock.
thanks

ps - have any refurbs surfaced lately in third party stores in southern Ontario?

#262 ·
This was happening to me as well. As soon as i unplugged the HDMI cable the receiver stopped rebooting. I could watch tv using the component cables. I called SD and they sent me a refurbished 605 that is working fine with the HDMI cable. So perhaps you are experiencing the same issue.

#264 ·
It never had that ability (not implimited by Shaw) in spite of having a USB and ESATA port. Shaw was never as smart as BEll, either that or they wanted to make more money by selling 630s. I know of some users who dropped Shaw and went to BEll because they couldn't run a second wire down from their dish.

#265 ·
Daylight Savings

I think this happened before but our 605 screwed up our timer recordings it pushed everything out an hour so now we have to reset everything. :( Is there anything we can set so the rcvr wont change the time everytime we change off and on daylight savings??

#266 ·
I think I found out why Shaw doesn't have any more 605s.
This is what I found in our rental condo in LA last week.
Externally it is identical. I would assume a motherboard change but now there are no cases for Shaw.
I can't see how to add the pictures but it was Time Warner Cable.

#272 ·
I don't believe you can use the esata port on the 605 unfortunately. It seems strange that the option would be visible on the 605 when you can't use it. I see the esata options on my 605 as well, but all the information I've found still says only the 630 can use it.

I hope this might mean that a future update will allow us to turn the 605 into a PVR, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#273 ·
I was curious what Shaw Direct had to say on the matter, so I just did an online chat with their tech support.

I asked if there might be a future update that would allow the 605 to be turned into a PVR with the esata port. He started saying the 605 couldn't record because it didn't have a hard drive or two coax feeds. I then restated my question asking why they included an esata port, and wouldn't it be possible with a future software update to turn it into a PVR? He said the internal components don't support recording and he wasn't sure why it had an esata port. He then said the 605 has been decommissioned for two years (I guess to reiterate that I shouldn't be expecting future enhancements).

Apart from a hard drive (which can be added via esata), does anyone know what internal components the 605 is missing to turn it into a PVR? I thought the 605 and 630 were almost identical apart from the hard drive and 2nd satellite tuner.

#274 ·
Dead 605?

Hi Gents,

We have a problem with a 605 at the Cabin, along with a 630 which seems to be working fine but we don't record much on it as we are hardly there. We leave the heat on (minimally - about 5-6° C) in the winter as well as the power to both receivers. The 605 is barley used even when we are there, as it's in a basement bedroom.

The issue is I was recently there and was quickly checking out the Cabin and noticed the indicator LED on the front was Red and not Green.

As I remember, that indicates a loss of Signal. I switched on the TV and no channels were available. Of course that seemed a little strange as the 630 had a Green indicator. I tried a reset (held the power button down until the unit re-started) but still no joy.

Was there a recent (last 4 months) firmware update that caused folks some grief?

I didn't have time to check the 605 out further but hopefully will get more time on my next trip in a month or so. Any advice you can give will be appreciated.:)

Thanks for the assist.

#278 · (Edited)
Hi Gents,

We have a problem with a 605 at the Cabin, ........ in a basement bedroom.
Is there a possibility that you have 'guests' staying over for the winter? :)

Pack-rats, squirrels and other creatures of opportunity really like to chew on RG6 cables for reasons best known to themselves. I once had Mr. Squirrel completely remove about 3 feet of RG6 cable jacket which exposed the braid to the elements and led to subsequent failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.