Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Home Away From Home Program

207K views 306 replies 94 participants last post by  dosgringos 
#1 ·
Not too long ago there was an announcement that Shaw Direct had canceled their Home Away From Home program, posted on Digital Home at http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3559/279/. HAFH, explained below, would henceforth only be available to customers already on the program.

I recently asked Contact Us at Shaw what the program was all about, and the legalities of receiving Shaw in the U.S., and got this reply today:

"Home Away From Home is a program offered to our customers who are looking to stay connected to Shaw Direct (previously Starchoice) year round. The purpose of the program is to ship a second dish and self install kit (if necessary) to a 2nd residence within Canada so that customers can continue to enjoy Shaw Direct programming while on vacation (at the cottage, RV, etc.) You can have both your primary residence and vacation residence all under one account. One account = one bill.

HAFH is NOT to be used for watching programming at two locations simultaneously. You are responsible for ensuring us that the programming is being watched at one address at a time, not both.

$99 plus tax one time charge to cover the cost of the dish. $13.99 shipping fee for dish. Receivers purchased at regular Cash and Carry price . Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct.
Raj, Shaw Direct"

See less See more
#292 ·
credit card address for pre-authorized payments

Has anyone setup pre-authorized monthly billing using a credit card that has a billing address OTHER than a Canadian address?
The card itself is a Canadian card through a Canadian institution, but the billing address is in the U.S.
Anyone?

#295 ·
no sd chnnels signal

a buddy of mine has a 600 receiver activated on hafh . hooked it up to his dish at his cabin 75E dish with duel lnb. he can get 95% signal on HD channels but no signal on sd channels. we have proper values for dish alighnment or very close to it. he called shaw direct and they seem to think its an alignment problem, but theres no way we can get signal on sd channels. installed new coaxe cables, tried 2 different lnbs [ used] . any one have any idea why we cant get standard def. channels? tia

#296 ·
Easy- you are 4 degrees off.
Instead of being pointed at:
Anik F1 (107.3°W) Anik F2 (111.1°W)
You are pointed at (103.5°W) and (107.3°W).
or
111.1°W and 114.9°W

If not that- there is a tree or other object in the way of the satellite in question.

#300 ·
Home away from Home Question

I still fall under this option. I have two boxes at my home and one at my cottage. I have all dual LNB's on my dishes. I want to upgrade to Full HD ( pick and pay) which requires switching to the new XKU LNB's. I have been kind of reticent to call SD because I thought they would cancel my service but I did call today

I just spent an hour on the phone with SD. The lady recognizes my cottage address only and says all my service is there even though I had a Shaw installer come to my home in Toronto twice to install boxes and dishes on the roof.

She said Shaw would come to my cottage (for a fee) and install a XKU and switch me over to full HD but only at one location. That means my other two boxes in Toronto would go dead right?

Does anyone know if I buy my own XKU lnb's and switch the old ones out in Toronto, will all three boxes still get full HD?

I have Motorola HDDSR605 boxes

#301 ·
Hi decee,

Welcome to the forum.

It's not quite as simple as you state. Yes, changing out all LNBs to the Xku type will result in you getting the feed from all 3 Birds (SD or HD). (You can change them all yourself and avoid the fees. The caveat is all 3 receivers need to be listed on the same account and activated for this data stream (V Code). You will have to call Shaw Direct after you install the new LNBs, and tell them you want they to change the V Code to accommodate them. If all 3 receivers are on the same account they should do them all. Unfortunately the Customer Service folks sometimes only change the data stream on one of them, and you'll need to call back for the other two.

Were all 3 receivers listed on your Cabin account? If so when you activate them make sure to ask them to do all 3.

#306 ·
xKu 75E LNB for unofficial HAFH

I'd like to upgrade to the xKu triple lnb, but ...

I'm an unofficial HAFH customer. There is no permanent dish at my home address. I plan to be at my home address on a few occasions in the coming months.

I had a chat session with a Shaw CSR recently and explained that I don't need a service technician to install the lnb, but would prefer that the lnb be shipped to my home address.

The CSR said no, and that a technician needs to come to the house to do the installation. When I hesitated, the CSR dropped the price .. from $99 to $50 to $40

What I'm wondering is this: is it realistic to think that if I'm at the address to meet the service tech, can I just accept the lnb without getting it installed?

Or, will the tech report me to Shaw Direct for not having a dish on my house?

More to the point, are the installation techs employees of Shaw, or are they contractors who don't really care what the customer is doing and will just take payment for the "installation".

Otherwise, does anyone know of where I can pick up a 75E xKu LNB Ontario, ideally somewhere between Windsor and Cornwall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.