Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmware Version 09.15

45K views 103 replies 44 participants last post by  GaryE 
#1 ·
Starting on February 12 (for HDPVR 630 units) and February 18 (for HDDSR 600/605 units), Shaw Direct will be deploying software version 09.15. Once targeted (as seen on line I in OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will automatically update at around 2:10AM local time. It is not possible to force the update if you have not been targeted.

The overall look and feel is unchanged with this download, with the exception of updating branding.

This release provides increased VOD speeds, significant PPV enhancements, updated Closed Captions decoding and improved stability. Prior to 09.15, the last software download was 08.26 in late October 2012.

09.15 Release Highlights

Overall Stability Improvements
•General updates related to stability/reliability to reduce the chances of the receiver becoming "frozen"
•If an issue is encountered that the unit is unable to resolve, a reboot may occur automatically to restore normal operation.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Dual Streaming & Usability Updates

•Network and streaming drivers have been rewritten to enhance network throughput and VOD streaming performance.
•A substantial increase in average speeds has been experienced with our Field Trial and Employee Trial groups.
•If you previously had unexpectedly low Speed Test results, or issues streaming during local peak usage, an improvement should be seen with this release.
•Unsubscribed content on VOD should display "grey" consistently, rather than sometimes giving a W4 error.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Adult Content
•Support has been added for Adult content. Adult content is found in a separate VOD menu, which is hidden by default. A variety of Parental Control options are available to further limit access to this content.
•To enable access to the Adult VOD store, Parental Controls must be enabled. Then, press D to access the VOD menu bar, scroll to "VOD Settings", and enter your password. Change "Adult VOD" to "Enabled". Exit the menu, and press D again. You'll see a new button in the middle of the menu bar labelled "Adult".
•All Parental Control options (including Purchase Limit) will also apply to Adult content.
•As with Adult PPV Content:◦There is no free preview period on Adult VOD content
◦Coupons do not apply to Adult VOD titles
◦Adult VOD content features discrete billing.

PPV Order Enhancements
•PPV programs now feature an "Order ID" in the Guide. You can use this number to quickly place your order via the automated phone system (1-866-782-7778).
•Once your receiver gets the order, the "!" alert icon will appear. Pressing ENTER will display the Purchase History screen, which will list details of the title you ordered. The "$" sign will also appear in the Guide on the title you purchased.
•You must still setup an auto-tune, recording, or remember to tune in when the PPV starts.
•If you didn't receive confirmation of the purchase and the title doesn't appear in Purchase History, use the "receiver refresh" option via the automated phone system or Self Serve to send the purchase through again.
•In alignment with industry and studio standards, PPV movies recorded on the HDPVR 630 will be available for unlimited viewing for 48 hours, after which the title will automatically expire.

External HDD Updates
•Once paired, eSATA hotplug is now supported. However, unplugging your external HDD while it is connected is still not recommended. (Note that on initial pairing, you must still reboot the receiver to initiate the connection).
•Units with a large number of recordings stored on an external drive should see improved performance after bootup, in the PVR List, and with the playback of recent recordings.

This release also updates the Shaw Direct logo to reflect the new brand launched in late Fall

See less See more
#86 ·
Not necessarily! lol. I had posted in the original 630 forum that I had issues with the two tuners not being isolated from each other. Watching an HD show live, and as soon as my timer for an SD show kicked it, the pixilation started up. Surprisingly enough, when I went back to watch the SD show later, it was fine. So somehow the background recording messed up the foreground viewing. Or it might have been an SD/HD issue.

#88 ·
pixilation caused by recordingn another channel

I ocassionaly still get the problem mentioned by meandher57 in the above post. I suspect most people who still experience this have given up saying anything because it never seems to get addressed in any of the updates. Lack of comments dosn't necessarly mean the problem has ben solved.Ty H

#89 ·
I agree... SD really needs to figure this out!

I had mentioned that I installed the new Triple Quad xKu LNB last week in another thread and I was hoping the much higher Ecb/numbers I was seeing with the new LNB would solve the pixilation problem but unfortunately it hasn't. It's still happening and still with one particular channel I record or watch a lot, Dejaview. I was watching The Jefferson's yesterday morning on Dejaview while recording wrestling on WGN HD. Didn't see any pixilation while I was watching Dejaview but when I went to watch the recording of wrestling on WGN HD today it pixilated for brief second or so every half minute or so. Very annoying. I wish SD would get this fixed!! :mad: I don't know if it's because the channels are on different satellites or if one channel is SD and the other is HD. I record tons of HD programming on Friday nights, a couple of dual HD recordings and never have any pixel problems watching them back.

#90 ·
Yep, I get pixellation problems on recordings here (both HD & SD) too. Can't say I've ever noticed on live TV but I'll look out for it. CBC HD seems to be one of my worst culprits with pixellation on recordings every couple of minutes. I note that I've only ever had this since the last update. Before that, everything was hunky-dory.

#92 ·
I still have problems

1) SPONTANEOUS REBOOTS- sometimes several in 1 hour. 2)VERY SLOW TO RESPOND TO COMMANDS-sometimes 20 to 30 or more seconds to respond. 3)PIXELATING- usually happens when recording something. 4) LOOSE VIDEO AND AUDIO- does not happen very often, but when it does I can get it back by changing off the channel and the back on. 5)SOMETIMES CAN NOT STOP RECORDING-sometimes it will stop at the end of the recording, sometimes not. Have to do FP reboot to fix. 6) SOMETIMES RECORD LIGHT ON BUT NOTHING BEING SHOWN AS BEING RECORDED ON LIST. Light stays on forever until I do a FP reboot. 7)SOMETIMES SAYS MANUAL RECORDING INSTEAD OF THE PROGRAM NAME FOR RECORDED PROGRAMS- FP reboot usually fixes it. 8) SOMETIMES GUIDE SHOWS NO DATA FOR ALL CHANNELS- FP reboot usually fixes it. 9)SOMETIMES CAN NOT PAUSE, BACKUP, FF, ON LIVE AND RECORDED PROGRAMS- FP reboot usually fixes it. 2 and a half years and still these 630s not right. Spending over $130 a month now on programming. Maybe it is time to call telus.

#94 ·
09.22 was downloaded onto one of my 600's last night (took over 35 minutes). I've not checked the other 600, but the 630 has not yet been downloaded or targeted. Anyone know what this version is supposed to fix? It can't be much as it's only a point release. I checked the guide and menu options and the only new items were the move notices for the audio / radio channels. Everything else is the same.

#96 ·
Found this information on another site:

Starting on May 16th (for HDPVR 630 units) and May 18 (for HDDSR 600/605 units), Shaw Direct will be deploying software version 09.22. Once targeted (as seen on line I in OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will automatically update at around 2:10AM local time. It is not possible to force the update if you have not been targeted.

The overall look and feel is unchanged with this download.

This release provides increased VOD speeds, significant PPV enhancements, and improved stability. Prior to 09.22, the last software download was 9.1512.

#102 ·
One thing I have noticed is that since the download I am getting re-boots constantly! Had the tech out and the signal is great. He indicated that I should call for a new receiver again!
Reading this thread tells me that it is not the receiver as many are having this re-boot problem. I am on my last leg with SD and will soon be pulling the plug and going back to BEV. They are offering me a free HD PVR as well as a second HD receiver that I can make a PVR by adding an external HD. Also free installation and they have more HD channels than SD by far. Also programming is cheaper for what I am currently getting.

One more month will tell the tale.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.