Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion

134K views 539 replies 120 participants last post by  LONSat 
#1 ·
Starting the morning of Wednesday February 16, HDDSR 605 and HDPVR 630 receivers will begin to be updated from Current Version 00.13 to 04.06.

The overall usage and look/feel of the system is unchanged with this download. 04.06 includes a few new and updated features along with providing a more consistent and reliable experience.

We’ve prepared some FAQ and detailed information on this update.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting the afternoon of February 15. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming days.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, with one exception:
- If upgrading from version 00.10, Channel Locks and Favourites lists will not migrate. Refrain from setting these until after the download.

After the download has occurred and the Guide has fully loaded, Check your PVR/Options menu to ensure all Recording Events have the expected “Next Recording” time. If they don’t, simply make a change in this menu and press EXIT to save. The receiver will replan and everything should be scheduled as expected. This will also happen automatically overnight.

What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
  • Tuning Rebuild – Audio/video are now presented much faster when turning on the receiver, changing channels, or stopping PVR playback. Tuner lockup/phantom recordings have been eliminated.
  • HDD Space Remaining – In response to your feedback, we’ve added the disk remaining bar to the PVR List and PVR/Upcoming menus. The bar has been made more compact and is now colour coded depending on how full your hard drive is.
  • Parental Controls – The experience with Parental Controls enabled should be more stable, with occurrences of the “false PIN” screen reduced and no more “No Data” blocks for programs that cross the GMT boundary.
  • Guide changes – Channel lineup changes (like new channels being launched) will now appear within 60 minutes, or immediately by turning the receiver off and back on. A Front Panel Reset should no longer be required to fix missing or duplicated channels in your Guide.
  • LIVE and 3D programs now have an icon in the Guide. “Live” programs will now be included when selecting “Record new episodes”. Note that these icons do not appear in the full-screen INFO pages.
  • Search Enhancements – Interests Search genres are now sorted in correct alphabetical order when the language is set to French; Programs beginning with accented characters are no longer grouped at the bottom of the results list; and programs with accented characters can now be properly searched.
  • Tune in Satellite Signal – The OPTIONS 4-3-1 menu now provides signal level from both tuners, an indication of signal strength, satellite, modulation, and transponder ID for both tuners. If no background recording is taking place, some values will not be available. This menu is primarily for self installation/dish alignment and advanced troubleshooting. Audio will be lost when exiting the menu, change channels to resolve.

See less See more
#500 ·
Turned on my 630 to catch Kitchen Nightmares that ran on Friday night, and much to my (not) surprise, it didn't record, nor did anything for the last 2 days, and all the channels were black.

Also, the unit is rebooting itself once a day, as evidenced by it turning on to channel 299 all the time.

#501 ·
I can't believe we've gone through almost the entire season of 'The Ultimate Fighter' and it still isn't being marked as 'NEW' on Sportsnet.
This is quite common with Canadian specialty channels. If it's any consolation, Shaw is better than Bell with this. There is still a problem with Canadian stations providing incorrect or insufficient information to listings providers though.

Millstone, first try a power button rest. If that doesn't work, try unplugging the 630 for 5 minutes. After that, a hard reset might be necessary.

#505 ·
There basically is no solution. You could try contacting the station. Some stations, like Showcase, sometimes doesn't even have the correct show information on their web site. The guide provider's own site (Zap2It) often has incorrect or missing information as well. There was one series on Showcase I wanted to watch but the total lack of correct information made the PVR go haywire and the show impossible to watch. Then they complain that Canadians use P2P or internet video too much. :confused: At least with that I can count on seeing the right episode at the right time. Now that Shaw owns Global it might get better but I'm not holding my breath.

#506 ·
Pixilation woes continue.

Sunday night I recorded two shows at the same time... the Family Guy season ender on FOX... and Jessie Stone on CBS for my wife.

Sat down to watch Family Guy last night... yup... pixilated.

Haven't had a report yet on my wife's movie.

Seems to me the weather was fairly good Sunday night. I've sat through worse with good reception.... although that was while watching on a different receiver.

#508 ·
Hi Everyone,

Nothing has changed which should make pixelation better or worse. The following still holds true:

If locational factors (signal, cable runs, interference) have been ruled out, the pixelation is probably caused by the combination of channels the receiver is decoding on each tuner.

As long as nothing is being recorded in the background, change channels once and then go back to what you're trying to watch. This should resolve the issue. (For example, I can reproduce pixelation right now when tuned to CNN in the background, and watching CTV Ottawa. Tuning to 299, and then back to CTV Ottawa stops the pixelation.)

If you are recording something in the background, see if you can find the current program on a different channel and try watching it there. (For example, tuning to CTV Montreal instead of CTV Ottawa also stops the pixelation.)
We've got a candidate fix right now that we're still testing to get an idea of how things perform with the changes. If everything looks good and there aren't major side effects, we'd want to include this in the next customer download.

Also, being the time of year that the leaves come back, it may be worth checking to make sure there aren't any new line-of-sight issues developing. A tree branch blowing in front of the dish or a slight change in alignment caused by the house/fence/deck settling after the winter thaw may also be factors if things have gotten worse for you.

#511 ·
SD 630 Support, your assistance is most appreciated. I certainly hope Shaw continues bug fixes and development.

I recently switched from Bell and a 9242 PVR. Using the 630 is like going back in time 5 years to when the 9200 was first released. It certainly isn't "Canada's most advanced PVR", though it has the potential to catch up to Bell's 9241 some time in the future.

#513 ·
I agree with HowieDoin's comment.

My 630 just rebooted one night last week and when it resumed I had lost all my scheduled recordings + the recordings on the hard drive are all missing their metadata. This means that I have lost all information on the Description, Cast and More Info tabs. This also has a side affect where the group by show no longer works.

I guess I am in for a full reset :rolleyes:

#514 ·
How i can make this Box work as advertised?

Folks,

My Brother bought the 630 receiver and I finally hooked it up last weekend after getting a 605 going.

It worked great (I didn't bother recording anything with the timer but my son did an instant record so he could see something after dinner.) except as I watched the Canucks beat San Jose ;) the picture & sound went blank for about 30 seconds which I attributed to a transmission issue.

My Brother arrived the next day. And then I started getting phone calls about the 630 changing channels on it's own (no the 605 is not on and I paired it's remote only to it as well in any case...), and shutting itself off. I advised them to shut it down, pull the plug, wait 5 minutes and pray. :rolleyes:

It's still going on so I just had my Mom repeat the process.

Now before she cuts me out of her will :eek: what can we do to fix this? Somehow I thought the new Firmware fixed all this. Does the 605 do this?
Please chime in if you know how i can make this Box work as advertised.

Thanks for the assist.

#518 ·
Working now it seems...

Possible that your neighbor has his remote code set to the same as yours? See if changing your remote code fixes the channel changing on its own....
I did think of that as the neighbor a couple doors down does have a couple 605s, and a 630; so that could be the problem but he is at least 80 feet away.

(I helped him with his install but didn't do the recievers - he activated them and I don't know if he "paired" all of his remotes. See the link below if you want to read that saga.)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

Anyway, my Mom said (when I talked to her this morning)it didn't happen again last night after I had her power the 630 down (disconnecting the power cord), and wait half an hour before powering it up and then trying it => after letting it sit re-powered for another half an hour.

We'll have to see how it acts next time we are at The Cabin as she's coming home today.

#519 ·
That'll fix your problem but your neighbor may be scatching his head figuring out why his tv keeps changing channels !!
I had a situation in an RV park once (I'm a snowbird)... I'd switch to a channel I wanted, someone would switch back, I'd switch, he's switch.... quite a battle. I changed my remote code, so no more problem. But, I'm sure he was calling Star Choice the next day as to why his remote didn't work anymore. I probably changed the code on his receiver !! The next day I searched for a neighbor with a SC dish, but the closest one I could find was several hundred feet away. I never did fiigure out where my competition was.......

#522 ·
One of the things I am just puzzled with, is why such a new PVR has no internet enabled scheduling feature. I have a friend who lives in Kansas, who has had TIVO for a long time, at least 5 years ago he told me he could be at work and program his PVR from his computer. He simply logs in, with username and password, and could tell his PVR to tape something later that day while he was at work, because he had forgotten to program it before he left for work.

Seriously, why are we always 10 years behind the States in terms of technology in some areas, it's just sad

As for the black screen I commented on a few days ago on my 630, I was talking to a friend of mine, and this happened to him last week, the exact same problem.

Problem in a nutshell: - you are watching TV with your 630, and the TV screen suddenly just go black ( blank ) nothing, like you lost the sat. signal, however the box indicates everything is fine. The only solution is to reset the box, either by pressing the button on the front and holding for 10 seconds, or unplugging the 630 unit.

Update: - I've now got a tiny red LED ( light ) that appears on my 630, this started happening this morning.

The tiny red light is in the clock area, just above the 3rd digit. For example right now it's 11:48 am, and that little red light is showing up at the upper right area where the "4" appears. I've never seen this before, and.... the TV channel is still showing on my TV ( no pixelation, just clear TV signal )

Very strange ?

#525 ·
Seriously, why are we always 10 years behind the States in terms of technology in some areas, it's just sad
I don't think that it is "Canada" that is 10 years behind the USA but rather Shaw DIrect that is 10 years behind other providers.

I think Bell & Telus Satellite has the remote programming feature as does Telus Optik TV and presumably Bell Fibe TV, Sask Tel & MTS etc. It would probably be quicker to list "Who doesn't have this feature, starting with Shaw Direct".

#523 ·
Just a fast post about pixelation and Coronation Street on the CBC 292.

I know for a fact that at 6:30 pm, channels were fine at that time, for the whole week ( this week ) yet, Mon and Tues's recordings were so pixelated we had to just delete the episodes.

Wed, Thurs and Friday, - I have "broken icons" beside those episodes, so they were not even playable - very strange.... why is that ?

#528 ·
I have a free port on the LNB but no way of running another cable (finished and weather proofed basement). Is there a multiplexer of some sort that can combine both LNB into one cable, then split back out to two at the receiver end? I found a 2 LNB stacker/destacker system called the DiSEqC Stacker De-Stacker Switch "allows two satellite bands
(0.95-2.15GHz) to be transmitted via a single common coaxial cable" Would this work with shawdirect and allow tuning across both birds/phases?

#531 ·
k801809: I don't know if it's every other channel or not. Certainly some come in and some don't. I've switched to single tuner mode and that works as expected (I get all the channels I expect) but of course we can't watch live and record at the same time or record two at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.