Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

stacked and non-stacked LNB

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  frenchophile 
#1 ·
Hello,

I should start with the fact I don't know hardly anything at all about satellite and how they work.

I am trying to setup a starchoice eliptical dish with my father-inlaw. Trying to save a bit of cash and use his signal. His setup is the original LNB with the 2 beercan or stacked lnb. Since I cannot find one of that type, I found a non-stacked quad lnb. Is it possible to use one of the receivers he has with the newer style lnb? If not, can we reprogram the receiver to work with the newer lnb?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

#5 ·
I understand that we will have to call to get the receiver changed to suit the new style lnb. But, since there isn't anything wrong with his system, do we have to change his lnb to the newer style? We won't go that route if we don't have to. Can we only change the one receiver or do we have to change the other receivers on his account as well?

Thanks again for your help.

#7 ·
I'm not sure if you understand what I am asking...

I do not live with my inlaws. My wife is laid off and we're trying to save some money by tapping in to my inlaws satellite signal. They have the original dual lnb. I picked up a used quad lnb w/ eliptical dish and want to use an extra receiver they have. Can I just switch one receiver or do we have to change his whole system to match, in order for me to use his one receiver?

#8 ·
Tapping into another residence is not condoned on this site.

It is ONE account per residence. ALL receivers on the stacked system need a certain V-code. If you take a receiver from that system and add it to a quad system, the V-code for that receiver will need to be changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.