Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA NETWORK Status: CTV & CTV2

132K views 325 replies 80 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
They don't mention it in the story, but aren't they talking about CHWI 16.1?

September 3, 2011
http://www.windsorstar.com/business/rocky+start/5349103/story.html

========
Mumford was told Cogeco was unable to get a clear standard definition (SD) signal from Windsor, so it switched over to London.

The HD signal, which is carried on Cogeco Channel 803, was unaffected by the switch.
========

Why couldn't (or why doesn't) Cogeco's head-end equipment generate the SD signal from the HD signal?

How many other broadcasters have to supply cable-co's with dedicated SD (480i) feeds now (using some other method other than OTA) ?

#2 ·
CKVR Barrie Needs more Power

Getting some drop outs now and signal has dropped to 40%.Clearly CKVR needs more power to match their old analog coverage.Analog 3 used to come in fine 24/7.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
I saw you posted in another thread that you can get both CKVR & WHEC depending on the direction of your yagi.

With my yagi, I have not been able to receive WHEC ever since CKVR went digital on 10. If the Rochester signals are making it to Stouffville on a given night, they all come in except WHEC even when pointing right at Rochester.

It seems CKVR is strong enough off the back, to prevent WHEC from locking. However CKVR won't come in unless I point my antenna NW 320'.

#3 ·
@ cptcarter

This is likely a problem with the station itself. I'm getting almost continual annoying pixellation and some sound drop outs too with 100% signal indicated, it has been this way since transition day and they still haven't fixed it yet. In comparison, CH26 in Windsor and CH10 in London are completely fine when viewed at the same time. I think this is a problem with the link that feeds the transmitter in Wheatley.

#6 ·
Cool - thanks. So, according to the specs, it should be easy, but if the specs are wrong, who knows....I will experiment.

How'd you get that info? I only see old information in TVFOOL (i.e., not data for stations that recently made the transition other than the old analog broadcast data).

#7 ·
How'd you get that info? I only see old information in TVFOOL (i.e., not data for stations that recently made the transition other than the old analog broadcast data).
Click on the pending radio button, either in the online maps feture, or on the radar map itself.

Current
database: All channels (save image)
Only Digital (save image)
Only Analog (save image)
These reports show what should be on the air now according to the latest FCC database.
Pending*
applications
included: All channels (save image)
Only Digital (save image)
Only Analog (save image)

*These are speculative reports that include pending applications filed with the FCC. This lets you see the effect of planned upcoming transmitter changes, bu

#9 ·
The thing that surprises me somewhat is that 3.1 is exactly the same distance from me as CHCH, and 3.1 is broadcast at twice the power of CHCH, yet 3.1 appears harder to receive at my location.
Go into Google Earth, use thumbtacks to mark CKVR and your house, use the ruler to make a line between your house and CKVR, then alt-click on the line and select elevation profile from the dropdown menu. You will see a major ridge on the profile between your home and CKVR that blocks the transmission path.

#13 ·
CTV2 CKVR Barrie

I used to get an acceptable signal on analog all the time.On digital its not reliable and gets many dropouts and is useless.CKVR raised their tower height many years ago to get simsub rights in Toronto.They should now lose those rights.They need 60kw of power to match their analog coverage.

#16 ·
PSIP Data - CFTO (CTV) Toronto 9

I'm getting exactly a full week of programming data on my CM7000Pal for this station. Anyone know if this is related to TVGOS, or is the station itself sending out a full week?

CKCO Kitchener 13 (CTV) is only sending out about 12 hours, incidentally.

#17 ·
Jase88,
I'm thinkin CFTO is the same as Kitchener. I only see EIT0 - EIT3 broadcast, which should cover about 12 hours worth.
As of 6 PM today, this is the last event sent OTA.
Code:
Starts: 9/20/2011 4:30:00 AM
Length: 00:30:00
EIT Source: EIT3
Name: Infomercial
Description: n/a
Descriptor: ATSC AC-3 audio Descriptor
ATSC AC3 Descriptor
Descriptor: ATSC Caption Service Descriptor
ATSC Caption Service Descriptor:
 Language: eng Format: Captions service 1

#18 ·
Thanks, Majortom. I suppose that TVGOS' feed from Buffalo WNED assumes that CTV Toronto 9 is receivable from Buffalo, as my DVR is set with a Buffalo ZIP.

#19 ·
CIVI doesn't stay tuned.

Laurie in Ladner BC with a CM4228 and a Panasonic TV.
I get CIVI, which is CTV 2, on channel 17 remapping to 17.1 like it should. 90% signal and stable.
Shut off the TV and turn it on again, I get a poor quality signal message for 17.1, everytime!

At this point I manually add the channel 17 and let it re-map again. 90% signal.
Is there something in the CTV code that's missing or do I have a screwy TV?

It's the only channel that does this except that 47 sometimes wants to go to 17.1 but there is poor quality signal message when it does that. It usually re-maps to 66.1 JOY TV.
laurie

#20 ·
laurienicol, have you done a complete scan? Not a "add digital channels" scan, but a complete rescan of channels?

#21 ·
Scan Channels vs Add channels

laurie in Ladner, BC with a CM4228, rotator, and Panasonic Viera
Thanks jase88
If I point the antenna south, I get almost all of the channels scanning in automatically. Most of the Canadian channels to the north come in on the backside. Then I turn the antenna and add the 2 or 3 missing channels from Mount Seymour manually (Usually only OMNI on 20, and CTV channel 17) The alternative would be to scan the north and then add manually the multitude of channels from the US and Victoria.

But I'll give it a go.

#22 ·
Once CKVR gets it's UHF 35 repeater up and running in Hamilton, the current channel 10 issue for those in the GTA will be moot.

#23 ·
CKVR suffers from low power everywhere and terrain blockage in many locations. Some time back in the late 60s or early 70s, CKVR tried to get approval to move the channel 3 transmitter from Barrie to Bolton to overcome the terrain issue and get solid coverage in Toronto. The request was refused because of expected interference to channels 2 and 4 from Buffalo. Of course, the Toronto broadcasters and CHCH didn't want a new competitor in the market which probably played a part in the decision as well. Even if CKVR doubled or tripled effective power they would still be unreliable in many parts of Toronto. The proposed repeater in Hamilton will only be as powerful as the CITS transmitter which is not receivable in parts of Toronto. The only real solution to this problem is a CN Tower transmitter. If they went on the Tower with a decent power level, they wouldn't need the Hamilton or Niagara repeaters.

#24 ·
True, but that's some time off in the future, and the fact remains that their current broadcast SHOULD be a lot more useful in the GTA. Same goes for CHCH...

I also understand that repeater will be a weak broadcast, so that's not much help either.

I know I'm hard on these folks, but I'm an engineer and I'm afraid my tolerance for technical incompetence is at a very low threshold. :)

#25 ·
Well, CKVR Hamilton 35 will be 25kW ERP maximum. That's better than the 10kW CITS was before transition, and the 20kW they are now afterwards. Obviously a Toronto CN Tower transmitter would be the most ideal, but at least this will provide those in the Golden Horseshoe area a better option...

#27 ·
Not yet. It's still in the application process. And Bell is now receiving opposition from CHCH regarding the use of their Stoney Creek tower. Sometime early next year things will be operational...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.