Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers digs up my Driveway and Similar Stories

73K views 94 replies 50 participants last post by  barrie 
#1 ·
No I’m not kidding,,, maybe because I posted on here before about their ‘Wire in the Tree” program. First of all I don’t have any services from Rogers, no Cable TV, no Internet, no Home Phone.

There is a knock at my door today around 1 PM. My 76 year old mother answers the door and this Subcontractor from Rogers advises that they are here to ‘fix’ our Cable. She then tells him that we don’t have any services from Rogers. The guy insisted that we do. My Mother then told him not to do anything until I get home. I was there in 10 minutes and was shocked to see what was going on. They had cut the driveway and had run a cable line up to my house. When I asked them what are they doing the guy said “Fixing your cable Sir” I told him I don’t have any Rogers services and he said “Yes you must have something,,,, Phone? Internet? Cable?" I told him… "No you guys and mixed up here or this is a JOKE”. I said to the guy “did you look in the box on the side of my house? Look and you will see it’s not connected to anything” I call him over and rip the cover off… showing him the 2 unconnected wires… he then looks very puzzled. He then said … “well the work order said this address” I asked to see the work order… he showed it to me on the computer in his truck… sure enough it was my address,,,, but there was no name. The reason for the rewire the work order claimed was “Low signal, Leakage” Well how can a line that that even connected to anything be ‘leaking RF?’ Rogers is so mixed up then have no clue what’s going on anymore.. its gotten to a point that it’s scary! I’m wondering is this just a mistake or is someone at Rogers trying to harass me.

What can be done about this? How can they just come on my property today and do this? I don’t even have anything to do with Rogers!

Photo Gallery here: http://akn-systems.com/rogers/HTML/index.htm

Does this look like I have any Rogers services in my Home? NO!

See less See more
#4 ·
hey hdtv101, don't u have a big yagi on your roof or is that not visible from the road. Why would they see that and still believe u need their pathetic service. Any time i see rogers trucks i cannot help but hear the Looney Tunes theme song in my head. These guys look like a bunch of monkeys. I too would be calling CityTv or somebody.

#7 ·
The independent contractor gets a work order from Rogers and gets paid to do the job, does not care if it is not necessary.

There is a lot of needless work that these independent contractors do and get paid for which ultimately comes from the pockets of subscribers.

#8 ·
don't go to Citytv.. they're owned by rogers. Go to someone like the CBC or *ugh* Global...

but yes, i'd get a lawyer and sue the subcontractor and rogers to repair any damages they did to your driveway. you have tons of good pictures that will definitely help your case. great move there!

#9 ·
It's curious they'd have a work order with no contact person. However, strictly speaking, where they appear to have made the cut is not your driveway. It's on the easment, where they do have rights to work, without your permission.

#10 ·
They cannot rely on the presence of the antenna to indicate someone doesn't have cable. Many people have simply left the antenna in place, after getting cable. Also, some homes have both antenna & cable in use. For example, many years ago, I had my own antenna to get WNEQ, which at that time was the 2nd PBS station in Buffalo and was not available on cable.

#11 ·
It truly is a damned shame what happened, but to suggest that a narrow groove cut at the base of the driveway - and subsequently patched - merits a lawsuit and a new driveway is ridiculous.

If anything, a roll or two of replacement sod - and maybe a few replacement weeds ;) - is in order, and perhaps also compensation for time off from work.

Too bad the OP doesn't have any Rogers services he could cancel in protest... :p

#15 ·
Rogers conducts leakage patrols which use GPS to pinpoint the address/location where leakage is detected. A service order to investigate is automatically generated to resolve the problem. Cable operators are legally obligated to keep their leakage within certain limits.

#16 ·
It truly is a damned shame what happened, but to suggest that a narrow groove cut at the base of the driveway - and subsequently patched - merits a lawsuit and a new driveway is ridiculous.
And who is responsible for repairing the driveway when the expertly done patch (you saw the pictures) fails and the driveway starts to break up.

The real kicker is that the subs were specifically told NOT to do the work and they proceded anyway.

#17 ·
And who is responsible for repairing the driveway when the expertly done patch ... fails and the driveway starts to break up.
If the driveway were suddenly to fall apart because the asphalt patch didn't hold, I'd blame the company that originally paved the driveway for shoddy workmanship!

The cutting of a narrow groove at the base of the driveway does not merit the replacement of the entire driveway, just as one narrow strip of dried grass running from street to foundation does not merit the re-sodding of the entire front lawn.

If the current patch job isn't done correctly, demand that it be re-done. If it fails in the future, demand that it be re-done.

#18 ·
Water will get into the patch more easily than the original driveway, it will then freeze and crack the rest of the driveway. Potholes 101.

If Rogers were actually doing service for one of their customers then I would have no issues. The problem here is that they weren't.

#19 ·
Not that I'm siding with what the contractor did but the damage is insignificant to begin with after looking at the pictures. You made it sound like he ripped up your driveway and front lawn which he didn't. Since the only "damage" was to municipal property legally there's not much you can do about it. Your property line actually ends about 3 feet from the curb, the rest belongs to the city where they can do any infrastructure upgrades that need to be done like running fibre optic cables, water, gas and hydro lines and so on without having to rip up the street. As for the leakage, you will note he is working at the junction box which is where your neighbours get their services from. Did you talk to all your neighbours who are connected through the box in front of your house? Are you sure you know which homes are serviced by that box? If your neighbour's service goes down Rogers has every right to check that junction without your permission. Best thing you can do is keep the pics of the patch job on the driveway in case there is breakage later on. If it cracks and the crack runs up the driveway over your property line then you may have legal recourse.

#20 ·
Your property line actually ends about 3 feet from the curb
Actually, it depends on your location. Things such as sidewalks, grass strips between sidewalk & curb etc., are all on the easment. You have to check the city plan to determine where your property line is. Of course, you cannot build a fence beyond your property line.

#21 ·
HDTV101, I feel your pain. I have a similar issue with Rogers.
I have a rogers cable box on my front lawn. I have no rogers services. 3 months ago, they installed a cable (Belden 1829A) from the box. It runs accoss my lawn, up my South neighbors tree, flys 60ft accross MY diveway to my North neighbors tree, wraps around the tree a few times then flys off to his house.

I've called and asked rogers to remove it. Threatened to run over it with the lawn mower. They always want my account number, i explain that i'm not a Rogers customer and they say they can't do anything without a customer number.

I suspect they'll have to dig up my lawn and driveway agin to install it properly. The last cable they installed was wedged between the driveway and curb, just like 101's. Obviously it quit working or they wouldn't have done the flyover repair. The cable has moved, or stretchs twice now, my freind moved it farther up the tree to get it off the top of his van.

I just want rid of it. How do I call?

#23 ·
HDTV101, I feel your pain. I have a similar issue with Rogers.
I have a rogers cable box on my front lawn. I have no rogers services. 3 months ago, they installed a cable (Belden 1829A) from the box. It runs across my lawn, up my South neighbors tree, flies 60ft across MY driveway to my North neighbors tree, wraps around the tree a few times then flies off to his house.

I've called and asked rogers to remove it. Threatened to run over it with the lawn mower. They always want my account number, i explain that I'm not a Rogers customer and they say they can't do anything without a customer number.

I suspect they'll have to dig up my lawn and driveway again to install it properly. The last cable they installed was wedged between the driveway and curb, just like 101's. Obviously it quit working or they wouldn't have done the flyover repair. The cable has moved, or stretches twice now, my friend moved it farther up the tree to get it off the top of his van.

I just want rid of it. How do I call?
Tom.F.1. can you post any pictures? I can't believe that Rogers would hang a loose cable without getting your permission, or at the very least letting you know about it. What is this world coming to?

#25 ·
You guys seem to be missing the point now. Yes the main Cable box is on the City easement however my beef is mainly about them cutting the new driveway and voiding my warranty and breaking the water tight seal. Water will now intrude down into the crack they made and freeze in the winter buckling the pavement and then in the spring it’ll sink down. I went through this before with the old driveway… Rogers had done the same thing cutting it… the end of the driveway sank and people were tripping over it including my Mother who is 76 years old. This became so dangerous that it became a liability for me that I decided to redo the driveway to make it safe again and now Rogers came back and cut it again without even asking me. So now I’m faced with the same problem now after spending $1300.00 to repave the driveway. And why did they do this? To fix my Cable that I don’t even have due to their own error in issuing a work order with the wrong address on it.

BTW I was contacted today from someone from Rogers that saw this thread. I will be calling him on Monday.

#28 ·
BTW I was contacted today from someone from Rogers that saw this thread. I will be calling him on Monday.
Your most recent explanation indicates that Rogers is on the hook for this one, having voided your warranty even though the cable was placed on the easement.

What I fail to understand is how they can put in a new cable run a couple of inches above ground, is there some code that governs how deep it should have been placed?

#26 ·
Could you pull the cable out and fill the crack with driveway sealer?
30 bux and a couple hours work might save you days of legal battles.
I finally got someone on the phone from Rogers late this afternoon. He says he's created a work order for monday. We'll see....

#27 ·
I would call Rogers, and ask to speak to the Escalations Coordinator. Each area of Rogers Cable has one of these individuals. Their role is to manage complex or costly issues, including property damage.

The advantage with dealing with Escalations is that you're given a direct number and/or email address to reach them--no waiting on hold, etc. This person will send a manager who will assess the damage, and work with you to have it repaired by a licensed contractor at Rogers' expense.

If Escalations doesn't resolve your problem, then ask to speak to the Office of the President. However, I'm confident that Escalations will get it done.

#29 ·
Most cable drops are buried just below the sod, or asphalt. In fact, cables are often damaged when people aerate (sp?) their lawns. Or pour hot asphalt on top of the cable...

There are no requirements for minimum depth.

It's less intrusive, and cheaper, to bury cable shallow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.