Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

COZI Operational on 103w Ku

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  PrinceLH 
#1 ·
I see COZI is up and running on the NBC OTS channel today. It's in HD, so all of the oldies television programming looks very good. Of course you do need to re-adjust your LNB by 27 degrees, to receive the NBC channels on AMC1, Ku at 103w.

#2 ·
COZI seems to want to stretch some of their programming, to fill the screen. Magnum PI is stretched, but the Virginian was not. Maybe that was due to the Virginian being on actual film and not video tape. I also noticed the same on the Lucy Show. I hope they decide to adjust the videotaped programming to it's original aspect ratio.

#4 ·
Cozy seems to want to stretch some of their programming, to fill the screen. Magnum PI is stretched, but the Virginian was not. Maybe that was due to the Virginian being on actual film and not video tape. I also noticed the same on the Lucy Show. I hope they decide to adjust the videotaped programming to it's original aspect ratio.
This is because the channel is currently set to 16:9 aspect ratio as opposed to 4:3 even though it is in 480i standard definition. Still a good picture nonetheless and a welcome addition to Ku-band FTA satellite.

Regards,

Dr. Sat

#5 ·
Later viewing on the Virginian and the Lucy show, shows both also now being stretched. When COZI first came online, last night, the shows did not appear stretched. Maybe they're working out the kinks, before they go prime-time, at the end of the month. I too welcome COSI and if we could ever get AntennaTV, in the clear, we'd have all of the oldies programming available to us free to air users.

#6 ·
Nice to see the COZI channel making their feed stretch free. I tried many different ways, on my AZ Box, and couldn't get the pillar box look, on the 4X3. Even the widescreen looked stretched, but all is good now. I can actually enjoy the programming correctly. All is good!

#7 · (Edited)
Been trying to get this on a 33" dish, not having any luck. I get the Huntington feeds around 75%Q and then twist the LNB about 20 deg (tried moving it both ways), not a blip on that TP... Will a 1m dish work? Might have to make an investment...

#8 ·
Huntington surf city is Vert Pol. right.
The NBC transponders are Horiz. Pol. but skewed by ~20 degrees from the
rest of the arc.
I put up a fixed Primestar antenna several years ago, only last summer
did I aim it to 103W. I set the SKEW to exactly zero on the LNBF here in WNY and it works fine.
keep in mind, if it was normal skew, it would calculate to ~ 24 degrees here.
So whatever 103W skew calculates to in your area, try setting the skew 24 degrees less and try panning while on Horiz Polarization again. In other words, try not panning the skew, just set it and forget it.
Then try panning the az & elevation.

#9 ·
Tried the Azbox, came in right away. Might be a motor issue or something set up wrong in the MicroHD, I reconnected it and it came in for a second then went away. Will have to look into this... maybe a glitch in USALS or diseqc. Tried re-aiming using diseqc, can get it to work by adjusting east or west, but it won't return to the same position (saved as 99). Really wierd. Kind of like the Micro and the motor don't get along...

#10 ·
Nice...Does the LNBF have a diseqc switch in it? I think some receivers with motor setups may not like the motor ahead of the diseqc switch or vice versa??

#11 ·
COZI TV started strong with decent programming. Now it's crap. Some really crappy, old black and white programming and some of their new, in house, programming is boring as hell. It looks like NBC will ruin the new channel before it gets to the antenna head. Too bad, it had great potential.

#12 ·
I'm not sure it's officially launched. Even though some of the markets are OTA with it now,
Isn't it still in like preview mode until Jan 1?
I'd wait till after the new year before calling it.

#13 ·
I like the concept of an oldies channel, from a specific network. So if it's NBC, it's older NBC programming. Where they lose me, is the need to inject currently produced stuff, like decorating, or cooking, into the format. Either make it one or the other. It seems like they're targeting two demographics for this one channel. I don't think it'll work, because they'll move elsewhere to find what they want, for they're own demographic.

#14 ·
They are doing a Christmas theme right now. Check their schedule on titantv.com (use WNBC-DT2 as the channel) for what looks like their regular schedule from Dec 31st and on.

#15 ·
I checked what you mentioned, at TitanTV. Glad to see that they're going to go back to their better schedule. Still don't like the idea of the filler programming. Who cares about cooking and decorating, when your watching an oldies channel.

On the same subject, I don't know how RTV stays afloat. They are, by far, the worst oldies station out there. I look at their list of shows and it shows Starsky and Hutch, but I've yet to actually see it, show up on their schedule. I see the Saint will now be on MeTV, starting December 31st. I wonder if RTV lost that one too!

#16 ·
No diseqc in this system. receiver -> 22KHz switch -> motor -> sp1pll LNBF on 36" dish;
other port on 22Khz goes to the c-band dual LNBF. I switched dishes around, now the Azbox is on the 33 and the Micro on the 36. Still get a (poor) signal on 11840H but viewable on the azbox without setting up the skew, but still no signal on the micro. I am getting the other two NBC transponders (11760 & 11880) quite well, only no 11840. Might try a universal LNBF maybe has something to do with the IF frequency?? Wierd.

#17 ·
I've only been able to get that transponder once. It seems a little difficult to pull, most of the time. I'm using an old Starchoice 30" dish, with a skew about 25 degrees off, to pull the NBC stuff. I'm thinking of swapping my 36" dish that I watch the Luken channels, to try and pull NBC better. Luken's programming is just garbage. It's only going to get worse, as COZI, MeTV and AntennaTV, cherrypick their programming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.