Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

COZI Barker Channel AMC1 103w Ku

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DrSat 
#1 ·
I see the barker channel is up for COZI TV, the new NBC oldies station, that will be available on 10 NBC Owned Over The Air channels. It should be available, within the month. It scans in as the NBC OTS channel on AMC1, 103w Ku. This Ku satellite is offset about 27 degrees, so you'll need to rotate your Ku band LNB accordingly.

See less See more
#7 ·
Are you using your C/Ku band LNB on your big dish to try and nail down AMC1 103w Ku? Don't even bother trying unless you have a polar-rotor. You'd be better off finding a good Ku dish and just adding it, as a standalone. I'm using an old Starchoice 30" dish, with an old Ku LNB, that was used by Expressvu, back in the 1990's. I've tried some of the newer Ku LNB's and they don't seem to do as good a job as this old one. Weird part about it, there are 3 dedicated transponders for NBC, carrying four time zone feeds, plus the OTS channels and other feeds, but I can only pick up two of three. For some strange reason, I can't seem to pull the east/central feeds on frequency 11880. I do get a decent signal on the OTS/Cozi transponder, however, so it's not a total loss.

#8 ·
A C/Ku LNBF works fairly well to catch those off-skew TPs on AMC-1 without messing up normal Ku reception. Best is certainly a Ku dish with skew set up right for those NBC TPs. The 36" dish is a bit small, really need a meter or 1.2m to get the weaker ones. Head end stations are likely using a really large 3-4m offset dish for those so they don't get rain fade...

#9 ·
I'm considering changing two of my Ku Dishes, because of that fact. If I can take the 30" and be able to catch the Luken channels, at 83w ku, then I'll take the 36" and try to land the NBC offsets. maybe that extra 6" may make a difference.

#10 ·
Been trying to get these with a 33" dish and haven't had much luck. The Some TPs lock but just not enough signal to get a stable picture. Really bad weather today, heavy cloud, windy, drizzle, etc. The 36" is better but still breakups so it might work on a clear day.

#11 ·
Sounds like an old Alphastar dish. :D I have one of those 33" dishes in my garage. Maybe I need to pull it out and give it a whirl, one of these days. Funny, I used to pick up stray dishes on garbage days, years ago. At the time they seemed worthless, but now, some of them are of great use. The old Expressvu Ku LNB's, from the old Anik days, are as good or better then many of the newer LNB's, on the market. I must have a dozen old 24" dishes in my garage. Maybe someday, I'll find a use for them too.

#13 ·
Using a 36 inch (i.e. 85cm x 93cm) dish on a motorized dish along with an Avenger universal PLL ku-band LNBF with skew set midway in order to still receive all other satellites and we have no issues receiving the 3 NBC backhaul transponders on 103W. It is important to use a high quality and low noise LNBF however as we were initially not able to receive all 3 transponders like this when we using an older 0.3dB NF LNBF. PLL also makes a big difference as well.

In Montreal however, the signal coverage from this satellite is weaker so you probably would require a 1.2 meter dish in order to do this all on the same motorized dish or a 39 inch dish (i.e. 90cm x 99cm) if used as a dedicated dish with the skew peaked for this satellite. Please note that many dealers in the past selling D|G|WAVE products were selling their 36 inch dish as a 39 inch dish due to D|G|WAVE lieing in their product specs to make them look better so make sure you actually have a true 39 inch dish if it's from this brand.

If you have a true 39 inch dish then you should be able to at least get 11760 transponder as it is the strongest of the three assuming you have a 0.2dB or better (i.e. lower) NF LNBF and no other issues such as a warped dish or bad cable connection.

Regards,

Dr. Sat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.