Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

FTA vs OTA unit ??

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  skild1 
#1 ·
Hi,
newbie here, lots of things I still don't know so sorry if it's a dumb question.

I live in a condo and I'm not allowed to install any dish or antenna on the roof of the building or on my balcony.

But I'm on the last floor and have access to the attic, it's pretty big and I'm allowed to install a unit in there since it won't be visible from the outside of the building.

I know I can install an OTA HD antenna in my attic and it will receive the signal just fine. But I have way less channels then with an FTA dish.

So is it the same with a FTA dish, I mean will the signal from the satellite get through, or will it be blocked by the building?

Witch of the two will I give me a better quality of HD TV?

Let me know, thanks!!

Pat

#3 ·
Like Jaygeetee said FTA is not an option and you would not get more channels with FTA Ku band dish anyway. Dish signal will not penetrate anything, walls, trees, balcony railing. It needs clear view of the satellite. For pure HD quality, 1080i, OTA is the best and depending where you are you might get many channels. Use good antenna, quality RG6 cable, preamp and your all set to enjoy the best picture your tv is able to offer.

#6 ·
Like Jaygeetee said FTA is not an option and you would not get more channels with FTA Ku band dish anyway.
This is incorrect as a motorized Ku-band FTA system offers over 285 channels with over 85 in English while a good OTA setup only offers between 20 to 30 channels. Even a fixed dish to a satellite such as Galaxy 19 97W will yield far more channels than what you could ever receive with any OTA antenna. "TheCoolTV", which was previously available on WNYO from Buffalo as a subchannel, is no longer available on OTA in the southern Ontario and western New York market but can now be received on Galaxy 19 97W Ku band FTA satellite nationwide. The two systems are complementary which means there's little overlap of channels as FTA satellite mostly offers US specialty and international channels while OTA only offers local channels so having both systems is a great way to maximize your free channel lineup.

To get back to the OP's issue, yes the satellite signal won't go though most building materials including wood, brick or shingles. However, there are special covers which can be purchased in order to conceal satellite dishes with a minimal reduction in signal. However for something cheap, covering the dish with a garbage bag and securing it so it does not fly away works well but the bag would occasionally have to be replaced due to the sun's UV rays disintegrating the bag over time. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32696&page=2 is an old discussion thread talking about the issue of certain condos not allowing satellite dishes and how to get around it.

Best Regards,

Dr. Sat

#7 ·
I concur. I have both, FTA and OTA. OTA is great, if your in a built up metropolitan area, or close to one near the border, then there is a wealth of channels. In the summer months, here in Belleville, Ontario, I receive over 70 different OTA channels, from four different U.S. markets, plus the Canadian stations that I can also receive. FTA is good if you can hit many of the available satellites. C Band, is of course the best, but since your limited to space, then Ku band will suffice. There are a number of satellites, like 103w ku, that have network feeds for NBC, in all time zones, plus some of the other NBC owned channels. You can find some oldies programming at 83w, with the Lukin mux, which includes Retro TV. Maybe a mix and match of OTA and FTA would be a good option. It all depends on your look angle and room to turn your dish or antenna.

#8 ·
FTA satellite is not even an option for patso, because patso said he is limited to the attic. A satellite dish antenna won't work in an attic. So, Patso could pursue a conventional UHF/VHF antenna for Over the air broadcast reception.
He can ask further questions in the OTA forum.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you have access to only the attic then OTA should do you just fine, you can look here to see what our site sponsor has for OTA equipment. He can hook you up with what you need.

If your landlord will also grant you access to the roof you can always use a non-penetrating mount and install a KU dish there that way without causing any damage to the building. If he does, check Dr Sat's site for a good dish that you can motorize. I'd suggest maybe a 1.2m if they'll let you.

Good luck with your set up. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.