Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVB-S2 on 6ft

10K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
So we're looking into getting a C Band system, but of course I think it's impossible to get any dish bigger than 6ft. We want a motorized setup to pick up as much as we can. The receiver I'm looking at is the Azbox Premium HD Plus receiver. From what I gather, it should be fairly easy to get DVB-S signals with a 6 footer, but DVB-S2 is going to be tricky. What does everyone say? Is it possible to get DVB-S2 signals on a 6 foot dish?

Also, what is a "conical scalar", or rather, what's the purpose of it?

I'm located in South Western Nova Scotia.

I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid :confused:

#27 ·
The Ku doesn't seem to be as bad as the C Band side. When I'm at 91w, I can get most of the signals off of G17, but it say's that it's locked on Nimiq 1, 91w. The signal is strong, but the quality meter is all over the map. It can show a 17/100 but still locks the CW Mux with no issues. The Nimiq signal is playing havoc with it and when I use the Ku side of the bird, it actually downloads channels from Bell Expressvu. I've got a couple of dedicated C Band LNB's that I may swap out, to see if I get a usable C Band signal with less interference from Nimiq.

On the other issue, with 83w Ku, I'm using a 36" dish not related to the C Band dish and still can't lock the Luken stations. I'm still wondering if rolling back the firmware, might correct this issue, like the Puerto Rico mux.

One other thing, I can't seem to pick off SES1, next to 99w, on C Band. I can however, use the 36" dish to get the Ku side of SES1.

#28 ·
I'm sorry, but the CW's of 91w are CBAND (3.7-4.2GHz), and Nimiq is Ku Band DSS (12200 - 12750). Can't possibly be any interference between different frequency bands.

#29 ·
I may need to clarify this a bit. The C band side of G17 will allow me to download the CW Mux and a few other stations. When I look at the signal strength levels, it shows it jumping all over the place. It also shows that I'm locked at Nimiq 1, at 91w. I can have a signal strength of 98% and quality from anywhere from 10% -90%, but there is no issue with pulling in these channels.

When I switch it over to Ku Band, that's a different story. I start downloading Expressvu channels, that are encrypted. They go into my guide and then I remove them, after the blind scan. I have no Ku channels from G17 downloaded, because the Nimiq channels overpower the Ku Band LNB.

#30 ·
still can't happen, since the frequencies used by Bell Expressview on Nimiq1 are 'DSS or DBS Frequencies' (Digital Broadcast Service) from 12200 thru 12750 MHz. The FSS Frequencies in use by Galaxy 17 (Fixed Satellite Service) are from 11700 thru 12200 MHz. Same longitude position different sat, but completely different frequencies. Thus no interference.

For FSS you should use an LNB with an LO of 10750 MHz, Linear Polarization. For DBS you use an LNB with Circular Polarization and an LO Freq of 11250 MHz. Ensure your settings in the receiver match the LNB hardware you are using and ya should be all good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_band

Having said all that, some receiver/ linear lnb combinations can certainly receive some signal from the out of band DBS service at the band edges even on the wrong polarization, so ya just have to be aware of that and delete any transponders that would land outside the range of the FSS satellite your trying to receive. ie - delete anything above 12200 MHz. But they should not be interfering with your reception of 11700 thru 12200 MHz.

#31 ·
My receiver tells me that I'm locked on 91w, Nimiq 1. I don't get an Expressvu channel mapping on C Band, but do on the Ku band side. Of course everything is encripted, but it does bleed into the Ku Band side of G17.

Finally did get my system up and running, with my 6' dish. I activated my Starchoice 921, then pulled the bin and put the new channel maps in, from Mapmasters. It seems to be running quite well, with the Pansat 9500 slaved to the unit. I put on a new actuator arm and buried all of the cable. I seem to spend more time, doing scans, then actually watching it much. Here I was hoping to grab some good NHL feeds, in the clear, and now no season. :confused:

#32 ·
So blast from the past... we're toying with the CBand idea again. On a 6ft dish, for those that know, how much adjacent interference does 99W experience? I can't see to get my hands on anything bigger in size, but after picking up some weak US OTA channels with MeTV and Cozi from the states makes me want to get them all the time. According to lyngsat they are on 99W (one is an S2 FOX feed and the other is on Lesea).

I just would be bummed out to find adjacent interference on a 6 footer would knock those channels out so I want to know if it's worth the effort.

#33 ·
I am guessing you could get the krbk mux based on the fact there is nothing really on the lower transponders of 101w Horiz.
But I wouldn't go out and buy anything special new for the project.
If it's stuff you already have on hand, knock yourself out and let us know how ya make out.

#34 ·
If anyone is still reading this thread, you should consider installing a 10-ft dish if possible. Many broadcasters are now converting their signals to 16PSK/MPEG4 and the smaller dishes simply can't cope. For example, on 97W, there are 50 HD premium channels FTA, but only those with a dish size 10-ft or greater can pick them up.

You may also want to keep in mind that 4K TV is now being rolled out by some broadcasters and they will surely migrate to 32PSK/h.265 to cut their bandwidth costs. Once again, a 10-ft or 12-ft dish will come in very handy for these new signals.

If you do go with an 8-ft dish (or smaller), you will only receive SD programming and some HD channels that are broadcasting above average power.

#35 ·
i guess I will have to invest in a new receiver and keep my 10 footer all oiled up to make sure my actuator arm doesn't seize yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.