Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dr. Sat Gets Mention in Super Bowl Article...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tvlurker 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yes, we had a CBC reporter call us a few days before and interview us in regards to this article. However, as they made a few errors, we have submitted the following to the editor so hopefully they correct the article.

Hello,

I am writing in regards to our mention in your "Canadians buying TV antennas to watch Super Bowl ads" article. Although we appreciate being mentioned, the article contains misleading and incorrect information.

"The only way to get them free, over the air, is if a Canadian resident lives within reach of a U.S. broadcast. "

This is an incorrect statement as U.S. SuperBowl commercials and the game broadcast is also available for free on C and/or Ku band FTA satellite. For many locations not close to the U.S. border such as London, ON, FTA satellite is the ONLY option as the U.S. OTA signals only covers limited areas close to major U.S. border cities. Also, FTA HD satellite feeds are broadcast at more than twice the bitrate at about 35 Mbps v.s. OTA HD at about 15 Mbps which means the picture quality is very sharp and equivalent to the quality of most blu-ray movies

"In the Greater Toronto Area, Serge Cormier of Dr. Sat said he's seen a run on free-to-air satellite installations leading into the Super Bowl. Those satellites provide a higher quality picture. He also said the GTA benefits from its location on Lake Ontario.

"If it wasn't for Lake Ontario, most of the GTA wouldn't get a signal and be able to watch Buffalo affiliates," he said."

This statement is misleading as it leads people to believe that FTA satellite is the same thing as OTA antenna reception which is NOT the case. Lake Ontario only benefits OTA reception in the GTA as the signals are being provided by terrestrial broadcast towers unlike C and Ku band FTA signals which are provided by a series of satellites in space which are not impacted by ground terrain as long as a clear unobstructed view of the sky is available.

In summary, we would appreciate the article being redacted in order to clarify based on the above. As well, the commenting period should be extended in order to allow for additional comments.

#3 ·
I noticed the Lake remark and just knew that the reporter (or editor) had no idea, but that's what you put up with almost all the time with reporting - you spend 1 hour with them and they put one minute on TV, or take a remark out of context when an article is edited - sometimes by the editor and not the reporter.

When I've been interviewed and it's to be published, I always ask to review the draft (for my portion if there are others interviewed). This may allow for last minute corrections, but if they don't send a draft, you often have to put up with these inaccuracies.

#5 ·
No press is bad press! Congrats on the shout out though..

As for the US ads.. I didnt find them as good as previous years. I did enjoy the Star Trek trailer, The coke one w/ the security feeds and the Farmer/Dodge segment.

The Bar Raffeli (sp?) Go Daddy ad almost made me hurl

Cheers, K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.