Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ATSC Tuners in Satellite, FTA, or Cable Receivers

169K views 510 replies 195 participants last post by  Inglewood 
#1 ·
i read on another forum that we will need one or both of these modules to receive certain or all hd channels in the future, can someone enlighten me on what these actually are, is it something that plugs into the back of the receiver?

#2 ·
8vsb refers to a module that is an add-on to the 6000 receiver. It's required if you wish to receiver HD signals OTA (over the air).

G
#5 ·
Their HD programming that is, there are too many regular non 8PSK receivers out there to replace to switch the rest over. If they were to do only HDTV in 8PSK, they would
only have to replace their first gen HDTV receiver, the 5000. To change everything, they'd have to lanch 8PSK capable normal receivers, an wait for the exising ones to die out.

#8 ·
Finally bought a 8vsb module for my 6000

Bought it off of ebay and should have it in a day or two.

Any suggestions on antenna's for west end Toronto. Any advice on setup? Anybody have an updated list of what Digital Channels I might expect to get?

Inquiring minds need to know!

#9 ·
If this was posted by somebody else, i would say: use the search button :lol:

I picked up the Channel Master 4228 from a certain someone who posts here.

From Buffalo, you should be able to get 39-1,39-2,39-3 (CBS HD, a nice dopler radar map and UPN). NBC is a 33-1. PBS is at 43-1.

ABC should be alive and kicking soon.

CITY HD is at 53-1.

#10 ·
I agree on the channel lineup I should have searched. It was a follow-up to my 8vsb question.

I'm just so excited about getting the damn thing, I lost my head!

I know we had several members install the 8vsb four or five months ago and I'm interested in follow-ups from them, now that they've been using it awhile.

As far as the Antenna, I was wondering if there was a DISH add-on that I could buy as opposed to a stand alone.

I'm also wondering where do I place the antenna for best reception?

ahh, so many questions so little time.

#11 ·
Human,
I can offer a few follow-up comments about the 6000/8VSB setup. I have the same 4228 as James99 and I am using a Channelmaster 0264 pre-amp. My source was the same esteemed member of this forum. As I posted once before, I am on my second 8VSB module - the first died after about 6 months (noisy, inoperable fan and overheating). The second module is OK so far. The 8VSB tuner always makes some noise. As to antennas, I found height to be critical. I believe that there are outdoor antennas that clip on to your satellite dish, but I would expect that they would be less effective than a dedicated UHF antenna. My antenna is in the garage roof about 10-12 feet off the ground. I may go to a dedicated outdoor mast with rotor next summer. I have been watching for WKBW to test on Channel 38 - nothing yet. WGRZ seems to have added "grey bars" recently to all 4x3 material. Keep us advised of your progress. Finally, I will probably to go a stand-alone ATSC tuner before too long, as they are independant of your Expressvu subscription (i.e. no Expressvu subscription, the 8VSB tuner won't work.)

#14 ·
jurassicjockey said:
From what I've heard on the performance of the Terks, a coat hanger would work better. Much better than the Terk is this http://cgi.********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071602704&category=15064 and it's even in Ontario.
I picked one of these up before I got my 8VSB upgrade for my 6000 also. I get CBS in the high 90's and NBC in the high 80s. However, I cannot get CITY. I think this antenna is just great.

Keep in mind however, I'm on the 21st floor of a condo!

#17 ·
my $0.02

I've been using an 8VSB module on my 6000 in conjunction with ExpressVu for months. I use a simple UHF-only double bow-tie antenna to receive the (currently only, and for a long time likely THE only) 2 OTA HD channels in my region of the Southern Provinces.

Here is the only issue I experience with the use of the module - I hang the receiver BIG TIME if I press the Channel Guide button while viewing an OTA signal. It "loses" the Bell satellite and requires a 2-3 minute period to time out and reset. I cannot do a thing with the receiver while in this mode. I can go into the menu settings, etc., but change or do nothing.

Mind you, I can go FROM the Guide to the OTA channels no issue. I simply cannot go INTO the Guide from an OTA channel 75% of the time.

One could question why I bother with the Guide and the OTA channels since my local OTA HD channels send out nothing the receiver can use - call it force of habit from surfing the Bell channels. It generally results in a few cuss words.

Someone tell me this is an anomaly and I'll do a hard system reset to see if I can repair it. I actually would love to hear from others.

regards,

patrick

#18 ·
Re: my $0.02

patrickthickey said:
Here is the only issue I experience with the use of the module - I hang the receiver BIG TIME if I press the Channel Guide button while viewing an OTA signal. It "loses" the Bell satellite and requires a 2-3 minute period to time out and reset. I cannot do a thing with the receiver while in this mode. I can go into the menu settings, etc., but change or do nothing.

Mind you, I can go FROM the Guide to the OTA channels no issue. I simply cannot go INTO the Guide from an OTA channel 75% of the time.

Someone tell me this is an anomaly and I'll do a hard system reset to see if I can repair it. I actually would love to hear from others.
patrick
I get the same problem about 25% of the time when going from an OTA channel to the guide. The best way to circumvent this is to either scroll to a BEV channel or select a BEV channel by number before accessing the guide.

#20 ·
Re: my $0.02

patrickthickey said:
I have not experienced this at all. I've been trying it for the past 5 minutes on all the channels and have not has one issue yet...hmmmm.

#21 ·
wondering

If you can share the firmware revision on your 6000?

I need to get home (later today) to be able to post mine as I do not know it offhand. It's a logical place to start my investigation.

Do your local OTA channels give any actual content information? If they do then we differ as mine do not. I think it is call PSIP or something close to that, I'm sure one of the other folks knows the actual acronym. My locals do not support that.

Thank you in advance, if you can assist.

regards,

patrick

#25 ·
No, I believe in order for the 8vsb to work, you must subscribe.

If you don't want to subscribe then just buy an OTA tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.