Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

US Nets but Canadian Versions?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Tridus 
#1 · (Edited)
Is just me or has anyone else noticed in the last little while US Nets have partnered with Canada broadcasters to bring the nets into Canada?

True its a Canadian Version with some Canadian Content but in most cases its the US programing?

IE

HBO Canada Here
F/X US now F/X Canada
ABC Spark coming in March
Cartoon Network /Adult Swim coming TBA

just to name a few.

Something tells me we're going to see alot of this.

And why?

Programing Rights/Exclusives.

If a Canadian Broadcasters launches a Canadian Version of a US channel and strikes a deal with so said channels getting exclusive rights to that programing the only way you'll get to see that is either subbing to that channel in Canada or get a US service like Dish or Direct.

True you can get via the web and such, but thats a hassle trying to download it via your computer, while its just simpler viewing on TV.

But then again I'm not that computer friendly so I prefer the TV way more.

See less See more
#2 ·
This isn't a new phenomenon actually. In 2001 when TSN underwent graphic changes and SportsDesk became SportsCentre, the idea was originally a rebranding as ESPN Canada. ESPN realized that the TSN brand carried a lot of weight and the name change was scrapped.

I believe this was also the same thing with the new CMT. CMT US originally launched in Canada in the early 90s and then was dropped when the CRTC approved Country Canada (I believe was the name), eventually Country Canada changed their name to CMT and became the Canadian version of it.

Quite honestly, if the CRTC didn't exist, these Canadian version likely wouldn't exist as the American networks would simply have the US versions on Canadian cable/satellite. If the CRTC didn't exist, I'd be shocked if there were any Canadian channels beyond the CBC. So if you're looking for someone to blame for this, you could blame the CRTC.

However, I'm not sure what the problem is. If you lived in the US and wanted to watch Sons of Anarchy, you'd have to subscribe to FX, Curb Your Enthusiasm you'd need HBO etc. etc. So really, there is nothing different about what is happening.

In fact, with some of these shows Canadians now actually get it on the same schedule as the US broadcaster. I was a fan of the show The Shield, which aired on FX from 2000 until about 2007. On Canadian TV, it was aired late at night sporadically on Global and was roughly two or three years after it aired in the US. When the first few seasons aired, it was before the phenomenon of torrents existed, so the only option was to wait for the DVDs to be released. So be grateful that hit US cable shows are no longer like this for the most part.

#4 ·
HGTV, TLC, MTV, Discovery, Food Network (?), E all have the same names as U.S. counterparts. Canadian TV companies buy rights to the name and then buy enough of the same programming to make it convincing. There was once an MSNBC Canada, Canwest had the name rights to Fox News. Fox Sports World and OLN were licenced from U.S. networks of the same names, but the U.S. versions now have new names. I'm sure there's more. Why there's even a BBC Canada.

#5 ·
I've never heard of Canwest owning the rights to Fox News, especially since they were the ones who had MSNBC Canada, so it doesn't make sense.

It may make sense however that if there was no CRTC there would be no Canadian channels but at the same time i'm glad there is a CRTC as this is Canada not the US and we should have our own channels. If we want to have the same channels as the US then maybe we should become an American state, just saying!

#7 ·
Rogers owned MSNBC Canada. Canwest never developed Fox News Canada. From Wikipedia: MSNBC Canada was a Canadian English language category 2 digital cable specialty channel owned and operated by Rogers Media in partnership with Shaw Communications and MSNBC. On December 1, 2004 MSNBC Canada was discontinued and replaced by the direct American feed, MSNBC. The MSNBC Canada licence was revoked at the request of its owners ... on December 2, 2005.
In 2003, the (CRTC) rejected a(n) application to bring Fox News to Canada because Fox News U.S. and Global Television were planning to create Fox News Canada. However in 2004, after a Fox U.S. executive said there were no plans to create the combined channel, the CRTC approved an application to bring Fox News to Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.