Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Favourite 2nd-Tier DTV Networks from U.S. for their programming? (See Post #1)

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  goforit 
#1 ·
A common question from newcomers to OTA is what the programming is like, as opposed to the usual technical questions. Here's a chance to answer that question from the perspective of Second Tier U.S. DTV networks.

The First Tier DTV networks from the U.S. are NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, and FOX. We are not discussing them here since they are commonly available by other means and are well known for their programming.

The Second Tier DTV networks from the U.S. are a wide variety of smaller, lesser-known networks available on DTV as their own channel or as sub-channels to others. They are such networks as ION, RTV, Create, MyTV, CW, Daystar, Qube, TBN, ThisTV, etc. etc.

Which one(s) of these do you recommend, and why? Remember, this is purely about programming and not about OTA reception.

#3 ·
I enjoy COPS at 1am on CW23 Buffalo. This channel is not available on analog cable...and I don't want to rent/buy a digital box to get it...

#5 ·
MyTV Network

There's a more hardcore show than Cops- it's called JAIL on MyTV Buffalo 49.1 HD. This channel also has "Worlds Greatest Magic Tricks Finally Revealed", with a masked magician and eye-catching assistants.

#6 ·
second to MYTV WNYO

I started to receive it since the move to RF49...the content is actually amazing. The magic secret revealed is very good. Lots of reruns of various sitcoms in HD.

Think Bright 17.3 is a good kids channel, it is on PBS (1st tier LOL) BUT it is not even available on any cable/satellite AFAIK. Does it make it 2nd tier ??

2.2 & 2.3 are pretty hard to watch quality-wise, so I don't even keep them in the channel roster. qubo 51.2 I keep but I don't get it consistently.

#10 ·
2.2 & 2.3 are pretty hard to watch quality-wise
I agree that they are hard to watch due to the poor quality, but these NBC subchannels out of Buffalo do have some good content. RTV (Retro TV) on 2-3 shows some old shows that are still fun to watch, and the sports on 2-2 shows obscure sports that typically are only shown during the olympics. On day's where there's nothing on the major networks these are nice channels to have.

#11 ·
From what I have seen of Create, it is just a re-run of DIY/Craft type shows that have already aired on the main PBS channel. Mid/North Michigan PBS stations I seen that channel on, the PQ wasn't very good.

Once that looks interesting is MHz Worldview, which WDCQ-DT carries as a sub-channel, along with their main channel (in 4:3 720p, rather odd), Create, and a channel that in the daytime is kids programming, and in the nighttime I think tele-college courses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.