Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cheapest way to tell if FTA signals penetrate glass?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nakedgord 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at picking up some FTA gear but I can't mount it outside my apt so I'll be putting it behind my patio door in my apt and I was wondering if any FTA'ers have any suggestions on the cheapest way to tell if the signal even goes past the glass. From what I've read online some glass will and som glass types won't and I have no idea what's installed.

I did a google product search and found devices ranging from $10 to a few hundred however I don't know what's too little and what's overkill.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
The cheapest way woud be to borrow some equipment. I know of several people who run Bell TV behind glass.

The biggest problem they encounter is if the Dish gets knocked, one person I know of, mounted his 20" Bell Dish on a very heavy old Butchers Block table. It worked just fine until the table got moved, slightly. Bell signals are quite forgiving and a couple of mm will still allow reception, a bigger FTA Dish will be more of an obstacle and might be harder to re-aim.

I would start by determining which Sat you want to hit and then the best size of Dish, for its' reception, after that, it will be a matter of finding the space to locate the Dish.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Hehe...borrowing the equip isn't an option so I'll have to buy something (whatever's cheapest) and hope for the best.

I'm looking at 72.7 And 83 on KU with a 36" dish. I'm hoping, since they're so close, the dish won't have to be motorized but if I had to choose I'd puck just pointing it at 83.

I realize about it being jarred etc but I'm willing to deal with repointing etc - I do it all the time with my 4228HD sitting in the cornor of my apt.

#5 ·
Thanks for the fyi on the channel placement.

There is one joint in town that looks legit and I think they sell fta so they might have a return w/ restocking fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.