Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Can you use a non-Eastlink box? (Yes, depending)

43K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
If I bought a dct-6200 or 6412 from Future Shop or on eBay, would it work on a 2nd television if I already rent a 6412 from Eastlink for my primary television?

#2 ·
You need to get any digital STB activated by the service provider. Most Service Providers have been activating "outside" Motorola STBs, however, I'm not sure about Eastlink, so, you'll need to get confirmation from them (I'd get it in writing before purchasing a box), or feedback from someone here on Eastlink who has done it, or tried to do it.

See the following thread from the Shaw forum (Edit: note that Shaw are no longer activating outside STBs):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26417

Which I believe has also worked with Cogeco and Rogers Atlantic, who use Motorola...

Here's a link to a previous thread on Eastlink.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50572

#4 ·
I've bought a couple used boxes that have worked with Eastlink, the most recent being a DCT-2500 box from Southern Ontario. Before that I bought and activated a DCT-2000 (Shaw) from out west. The only box I've tried to use that didn't work was a DCT-2000 from Westman Communications in Manitoba. Nothing got that one going.

If you're purchasing a box from eBay, get the GI (or "M") number from the box, along with the UA number (12-13 digits, starts with 000). The GI (or "M) number will allow Eastlink customer service to confirm if the box is "good" (not a rental unit, no outstanding charges against it, etc). The UA will allow them to add it to their inventory. All legitimate sellers should have no problem providing these numbers.

The cable boxes from Future Shop, so far as I'm aware, are intended for use with Rogers, and for whatever reason, Eastlink's system does not play nice with Rogers equipment. Both Shaw and Cogeco offer boxes to their customers for sale, including the DCT-2500/6200/6412 (rental only at Eastlink). Most boxes from Shaw and Cogeco should work fine with Eastlink; Rogers not so much.

My advice? Do not buy your box from a U.S. seller, especially if the box was used with Comcast.

#10 ·
Just as an FYI, Comcast doesn't sell boxes, so you're purchasing stolen property. Would you want to purchase stolen property and would you want to deal with someone who sells stolen property?

(There are some people who sell boxes that are not stolen, but they are not from Comcast)

Read the earlier posts in this thread for the necessary tips, precautions, etc. As indicated in post 7, check with Eastlink because Cable companies have been changing their policy on this topic.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Eastlink: Using a DCT 6416 from another provider- Yes You Can!

I recently relocated from Calgary to Halifax and was able to add my Shaw DCT 6412 (modified with a 160 GB HDD) to Eastlink's system with very little effort.

Interestly enough, before I added the PVR to Eastlink's inventory I plugged my shaw activated DCT into Eastlink's system to see what would happen and had a few weird things occurred.

1. Immediately my PVR starting downloading eastlink's software.
2. I was able to view previous recordings.
3. My clock was still using Mountain time.
4. 80% of the channels loaded into the guide.
5. Unencrypted digital channels were viewable.
6. PPV/ on-demand was disabled
7. I was able to record programs without issue.

When I called Eastlink to add the box, I had no problems. I explained how I moved from Calgary (shaw-box) and gave the nice CSR a serial number off the bottom and a number starting with 0000 of the back of the box. I told her I had a few recordings I didn't want deleted and within 25 minutes on the phone, everything was up and running.

Eastlink must be using older software, as the 5 minute skip has disappeared.
I forgot how bad the analog to digital converter was on the 6412/ 6416, since Eastlink doesn't have an all-digital channel map.

I was happy to see on the weekend that West coast feeds aren't simsubbed in HD, whereas the Eastcoast are. So I'm better off recording the 2 AM feed from Seattle than getting a Bell's Global simsub on the east coast.

I signed up for the sportspak which doesn't have HD, but on slow nights will give both the Home and road teams telecast.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does Eastlink activate outside boxes?

Hi all,

I might be moving to PEI for work from a Shaw serviced area. I own a 6412 phase III and a DCT 2500.

Will Eastlink add them to their system when I get there or do they have a policy to only rent boxes? What steps would I have to go through to make sure they're off the inventory here before moving?

Thanks in advance

Joe

#13 ·
I was able to move my 2 x 6412 PVRs and my 1 DCT 2500 from Shaw systems in Calgary to Eastlink in Halifax and then to Eastlink in Dartmouth, all over the phone.

Eastlink provides one free rental DCT 2500 with their digital package (which you have to take for $5/ month). I have a 5th box, but you are only allowed 4 cable jacks before they start charging an extra outlet fee.

#14 ·
I used to work eastlink. and when I was working for then we where using shaw software to control the DCT's. it's the only company at that time we allow customer to add non eastlink DCT's as long as the customer could show proof or ownership or the DCT and there was a zero balance on the account with shaw

#17 ·
Not Shaw software.. Motorola software ;)

Also worth noting is that you will only be able to move boxes so long as it is already offered, or has code resident for the model DCT you are bringing over.

This policy is more or less up to the service provider.. I know Shaw no longer allows off-system boxes.

#18 ·
question on buying Eastlink HD box

Hi,

I currently have the Watch/Surf/Talk bundle through Eastlink. I have a 52" HDTV that's receiving the signal through a coax cable...argh! Such a waste.

So, I decided I'd like to upgrade to HDTV (never have had it before) and go with the Basic HD package ($5). I see Eastlink uses a Motorola DCT-6200 as the HD box.

My question is: I'd really rather not rent the box per month; I'd rather buy it. So, can I just go on ebay, search for any old DCT-6200, buy it, and use it? Are there any special considerations I need to keep in mind when buying a DCT-6200 (like a special type that can only be used on Eastlink's systems or something?)

Thanks!

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Third Party DVR with Eastlink

Hi everyone.
I'm really hoping someone can help me out.
In December I purchased 2 DVRs from eBay, with the intention of replacing my rental and gifting one to my father-in-law, who is very deserving of it. They were both the Motolola DCT 6416 III.
The seller on eBay has a 100% rating, with over 400 sales, and stands behind his product. I'm not sure what process he uses for picking these units up, but he gets them from a variety of sources including when Rogers or another big outfit buys up a smaller provider... the one I'm working with now used to be with Aurora Cable before Rogers bought them out and had some excess equipment.
I plugged the first one in, and it dutifully ran through the firmware download and then sat there and stared at me with a "0" on it. I called Eastlink to get them to activate it and they ran through the data collection routine and said that we were good to go, and that they could now "see" the machine on my account. They then attempted to send an "init" string to get it up and running.
No dice. The machine would not accept that bit of communication, despite having properly downloaded the firmware. I called them numerous times, and they were actually decent enough to send a tech out to my place, not once by twice. Nobody could get it to work.
The seller and I talked it through, and he told me he has had numerous issues getting third party machines to work with Eastlink.
I plugged the second unit in, and Presto... it downloaded the firmware, cycled its power, and worked like a charm. I gave it away for Christmas, as planned.
So strike one.
I finally sent that unit back, and received a second unit back... the seller assured me it was from the same source as the first one and should work.
Nope. Same exact problem. I even moved the unit right over to the home cable source, avoiding any connections, and did the download there. The tech guy on the phone stated that the machine was not receiving the init signal.
I'm baffled. The seller said he only has problems with Eastlink, and that he's soon going to stop selling units to people using Eastlink.
Help.
I'm all ears...
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Dave

#23 ·
djlthomson, I had the same exact problem you just described. I have tried two boxes, and, as you have said, they both download the firmware and display 0, but Eastlink was unable to communicate with them. I got the boxes from the US (they're both DCT6412), so I thought perhaps that was the problem, but it's looking like there might more to it. Has anyone recently activated third-party boxes without any problems?

#25 ·
These will work in Halifax (sort of). You should still call EastLink and have your serial numbers ready to confirm.

EastLink in Halifax/Dartmouth has not completely duplicated all their analog channels to digital yet.
(Maybe about 2/3rds of the channels). For the most part, if you watch mostly HD channels, your 3416 will be fine.

Your DCT 700 will be missing more channels by the virtue of non being able to see any HD.

Off the top of my head, you'll be missing History, Space using the digital only DCT700/ 3416. There is another post somewhere in the EastLink forum by oxford (?) that describes the channels that have been converted.

But you do get one DCT2500 included with your digital package.

As a side note before moving to N.S., you may want to read this thread...
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123244

#27 ·
Thanks for the information. I really only need the big US networks for HD so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the link but I will be moving there for sure. My dad got a job, I just have to find out when I can get into school.

Yeah someone else PM me stating it's all digital now.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Motorolla HD DCT6200

I brought in an Motorolla HD DCT6200 box from a different carrier and I am unable to make it work with Eastlink.

I was able to bring in 2 other boxes before with out any issues.

I completed a full memory erase and now its on channel 0
Eastlink is unable to ZAP my box.

Does anyone know of a setting that needs to be changed on the box to enable communication with my box and the cable provider?

#30 ·
I don't believe this box is compatible with EastLink at all.

Only Motorola HD boxes Eastlink rents/uses are 6412, 6416, 3400 (DVRs) and 700m (HD only). They also use a couple Pace boxes (But I don't have info on these)

I may be wrong. But I think you are out of luck with the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.