Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Smart Home Monitoring System

77K views 72 replies 27 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
Later today, Rogers Communication will roll out a new Smart Home Monitoring service which combines energy management and home automation features along with a home security system.

First announced last November, the system is said to allow users the ability to remotely adjust and configure settings for your lights and temperature.

Since its also a security system, it will also notify users of any intrusions in the home or even when the children arrive home.

Rogers has been testing the product on Friends and Family since last November and was originally going to unveil the system in the early part of this year. No word on what issues Rogers faced that delayed the launch for so long.

I'll post more details later today when I get them.

#29 ·
Just signed up for a RSHM system, with 3 door sensors and one motion sensor. We may end up adding a camera by the install date.

Monthly cost is better than my current very basic Alarmforce system, for the first year, then only $4 more for the following 2 years. The Rogers system offers way more features. With current offers, the hardware ended up being free, in fact we have a $160 credit coming to us ( which we may use add a camera)
Installation date is a few weeks down the road. Will post first impressions once it's installed.
We found the sales rep quite knowledgable and not pushy at all.

@Naz_tech: I can confirm that the touchpad can connect to the LAN either via wifi or Ethernet.

#34 ·
When Rogers first installed the touch screen only the table mount was available but the installer booked an appointment to come back and install the wall mount bracket which was to be available last month ( and was Ottawa ). So Rogers did everything and no charge for coming back to install the wall mount.

#35 ·
As mentioned above, I had my installation appointment this past Monday, and everything went fine. The system communicates through a Netgear N150 router they connected to one ethernet port of the Rogers Hitron modem (I am not using the Hitron as a router, it is in bridge mode and I have a separate Dlink Extreme N DIR-655 router). It also has cellular 3G connectivity in case of power failure or if the cable is cut.
I asked the installer about interference with my wifi and he said it works on a different frequency. Not sure about that since I think the new router shows up using inSSIDer in the 2.4 Ghz band (have to compare MAC addresses to make sure), but so far I don't notice any degradation in the performance of my network.
We had 3 door sensors and one motion sensor installed. The door sensors installed easily on the frame and door with 3M tape.
So far everything is working as advertised. We also have one interior camera (although it happens to be an interior/exterior camera because that's the only type the installer had in his truck). It works well in all lighting conditions.
Right now I have the camera set to take pictures every time the front door is opened, and it works flawlessly. You can set up email alerts or simply login to the web site or use a mobile device to access the photos, streaming video and event history. We are using the iPhone and iPad apps and they work very well.
The streaming video is surprisingly responsive, there is only about a 1/2 second lag in the video when looking at the camera image in the iPad over the internet. You can also remotely arm and disarm the system, or even just deactivate certain zones.
We have a 2 week "remorse period" where we can cancel the contract and have the system removed at no cost to us, but at this point it looks to be a keeper.
The best part of all this? With the hardware discount it only cost me $9.00 for hardware and installation, and the new monthly cost is only slightly higher than what I was paying with Alarmforce, and the Rogers system has more features and is more user friendly.
I am not a Rogers fanboy, I am simply calling it as I see it, and in this case, it looks like they have put together a good service here.

#38 ·
Curious about the monthly as well. I'm being told $28/mo all in for the first year but $42/mo thereafter. The $42 seems high and is definitely higher than my current provider for cell monitoring - $25/mo.

Wonder what others are paying for the Rogers monitoring?

#42 ·
our existing is also basic and the prices were quoted over the phone. Equipmt conversion was basically free with an add'l credit of $100.

How did you get the first year of $12.99? Did you get an email flyer or call them or?

#44 ·
We're seriously considering having this installed, they're sending someone in a couple weeks to see if our existing equipment would be eligible for conversion. Has anyone tried taking their router out of the equation? I have enough things plugged in near my modem and if they want to start adding more stuff I'll have to go out an buy another surge protector which I don't want to do.

#45 ·
We had ours installed last October, replacing a Reliance security system. Finally had Rogers install the free wall mount in the kitchen in February. I love this system!! Also gor $20 per month discount for 12 months.
Now....I bridged my SMC gateway last month and added an Apple Airport Extreme to help increase wifi signal to the backyard (which works great!!). Then we lost the wifi to the security system!!
Rogers came and ADDED a Netgear router to my Apple router and all works good now!!! You CANNOT get around that, if you bridge your SMC they MUST add the Netgear to get wifi back to the security sytem.
Apart from that, we love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 ·
So we've been using our system for about two weeks now, and I'd thought I'd write a review since there doesn't seem to be one written by an actual customer anywhere on the internet.

Pricing
We were thinking of switching to Rogers because we wanted to get rid of our POTS line, and our existing monitoring company as well as others we researched wanted about $2-300 dollars to install a cellular communicator and charged about $30-40 a month with cellular monitoring. And yes, I have heard of the monitoring centre and how they are significantly cheaper, but I'll address that in a moment.

Here's a breakdown of the retail rates for the Rogers equipment:
-$211 for the "takeover kit"
-$99 for installation

Here's a breakdown of what we pay monthly to Rogers:
-$19.99/month for the base plan
-$12.99/month for 24/7 central monitoring (Free for one year)
-$4.99/month for the touchpad rental (The touchpad is mandatory even for system takeovers, you can opt to buy it for $459)

The equipment was subsidized on a 3 year term so we didn't pay for the takeover kit or installation. The cancellation fee works the same way as their cell phone service, you simply pay back the prorated discount you received on the hardware if you cancel before 3 years. This was a major selling point for us as other companies charged pretty much the same for a cellular communicator and installation, and they also wanted to lock us into contracts without giving us any sort of incentive.

Lastly, Rogers has a group rate discount with Allstate where you can save up to 25% on your home insurance. We were already getting a discount for having a home security system, but Allstate gave us another $210 yearly reduction for switching. That amounts to about $17 a month, which is essentially the difference between what Rogers charges and what The Monitoring Centre charges for cellular monitoring. Unfortunately there are no discounts for having other Rogers services, but it also gives you the flexibility to change ISPs or TV providers at anytime. Smart home monitoring NO LONGER requires you to have Rogers internet, they will install it with ANY broadband connection.

Installation

We were quoted 7 hours for a system takeover, but it only ended up taking less than 3 hours. They sent an actual Rogers technician to do the work instead of a subcontractor, thank god. They start by analyzing the signal going into your modem if you use Rogers to ensure it is adequate.

Once they determine your signal is good then they install a router behind your existing networking equipment. The router provides broadband connectivity to the touchpad and it cannot be used for anything else.

After the router is connected, they connect the touchpad to it. With a system takeover setup, the touchpad can be placed anywhere with a power outlet, adequate EDGE cell service and with adequate WiFi signal. You can also choose to wire your touchpad with ethernet instead as well if the router is close enough to the touchpad or if you have ethernet running throughout your house.

With a non-takeover scenario, you'd want to place the touchpad near your designated entry/exit door unless you opt to purchase an additional keypad. Even if you purchase another keypad, the touchpad should still be on the main floor in a non-takeover scenario as it contains a built in siren and chime.

The touchpad can also be wall mounted as well if desired, but Rogers charges extra for wire concealment. For system takeover customers this isn't a big deal as most will likely place the touchpad on a tabletop in the kitchen or living room.

Once the touchpad was connected to the internet they setup the "takeover kit". Much to my surprise, instead of taking over the existing panel, they installed a brand new DSC panel and Keypad and just used the existing sensors. In addition, they install a zigbee interceptor which relays all the zone activities back to the touchpad wirelessly.

Once that is complete the technicians leave you alone for a moment while you login to the web portal to setup your passcode. Once that's done they trip the alarm several times to ensure it is working properly.

Features

We opted only for central monitoring at this time so we do not have any of the fancy automation features at this time. However, the stuff that we do have works as it should.

Someone else posted here that they lost all advanced functionality on their Honeywell keypad. With DSC quick arming is still present, it also shows you any zones that are currently open, and it also chimes as well when zones are tripped. The only functions that do not work from the DSC keypad are zone bypass and changing keypad codes. Although, those functions can achieved with MUCH greater ease from the touchpad.

The touchpad itself is also very easy to use. It contains a capacitive touchscreen which is very responsive. It shows you which zones are open and closed with actual words instead of "Zone 1,2,3 etc". Unlike traditional keypads which require cryptic codes to bypass a zone, the touchpad allows you to do it with one tap.

The touchpad also allows you to download news and weather apps as well. They're not a game changer in this smartphone age, but they are handy sometimes.

The system also has several interactive features. You can setup rules and notifications from the web portal. You can arm/disarm, manage keypad codes and emergency contacts all from the Rogers website. Keypad codes are also very flexible. You can create codes that are only active on certain days. For example, if you have cleaning staff that comes every tuesday, you can create a keypad code for them that only works on Tuesdays.

The system also alerts you when an alarm even has been triggered by email and text. You can also setup additional alerts as well, for example you can have it send you a text when a door is opened so you know when people are coming and going.

Lastly, there is a mobile app that allows you do remotely arm/disarm the system and control thermostats, lights and view camera feeds if you subscribe to those features. The app is not attractive but it works and is responsive. When zones open and close, it updates instantly without delay on my phone. If you try to arm/disarm the system from the mobile app, the touchpad and keypad respond instantly. The only drawback to the app is that it does not work if Myrogers.com is down, which is literally everyday between 2-6am. The web portal however, functions 24/7 and does render properly on a mobile web browser.

Conclusion

So far, I'm pretty happy with the service. The product is competitively priced and works flawlessly. For a product that offers interactive services and cellular connectivity, Rogers is on par and sometimes cheaper than competing services. I would recommend it to anyone who already has a DSC or Honeywell system and is looking for a more advanced system that doesn't require POTS and gives you the ability to add home automation features.

If you don't already have a security system, I probably would not recommend this. The equipment is proprietary. The touchpad cannot be used by any other security company. Also the sensors that Rogers sells all communicate using Zigbee. DSC, GE, Honeywell, 2Gig and other major security vendors typically use their own wireless frequencies for the sensors, so anything you buy from Rogers will not work with anyone else.

Lastly, we purposely signed up a day before our billing cycle so we'd catch any billing errors right away. Luckily, there were none.

#48 ·
Sorry for the slight necro, but I have a question about the monitoring for those who managed to hardwire their touchpads.

Basically, I want to know how you did it? I hardwired my touchpad to my awful hitron modem/router, but it wasn't able to get a connection. Did you have to do anything specific?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.