Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Irrigation controller wiring question

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Wayne 
#1 ·
My home currently has two irrigation controllers, one for the front and one for the back. Controller 1 is in the basement and Controller 2 is on an outside wall of the pool cabana. I think I am using a total of 9-10 zones - when we added the pool area in the back the second controller was added since the first one didn't have enough zones.

I want to move to one controller that is web enabled - probably the Irrigation Caddy which can control 10 zones or more with addons. The problem is getting all of the wiring to one location. My pool cabana has two CAT-6 drops. Is there any reason why I can't use one of these CAT-6 drops to splice the wires from my cabana to my basement? I guess the only downside is that I can only do 8 zones that way - a common plus 7 other wires, one for each zone.

Can't I just take an ethernet cable, plug one end to the RJ-45 jack in my cabana and cut off the RJ-45 connector on the other end and twist the wires onto the wires on my existing irrigation controller. Then in my house take another ethernet cable, plug into the other end of the cable coming from the cabana, cut off the other end and wire into my new irrigation controller?

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work, or why I shouldn't do this?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.